Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #41
Pezza4u
DW Banner Man

What a fantastic guide, going to try this...thanks for sharing
Pezza4u is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pezza4u For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #42
Nanoman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,798 Times in 946 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cooper View Post
Don't think you'll be needing one anytime soon. The 3M sun gun is extremely well made and has been tried and tested by many professionals. There is only one originator
You can't let it go can you Mr Cooper. With all due respect can you refrain from posting in this thread if you're just going to tell us how good the SunGun is? We all know how good the SunGun is - for £400 it better be brilliant. I'm just pointing out that there is a far cheaper alternative that can be just as good for far less cost. I'm also showing people (with help from other members) how to make it. I think I've also pointed out a few things 3M could do to improve their version.

If you would like to put one of these to the test against a SunGun I'm more than happy to accommodate. FYI I'm working on getting this made to comply with all regulations. If it goes ahead (cost V's benefit/risk) what will your thoughts be? Are you a badge snob? If so I'll happily give you the pleasure of naming it so you can have your very own badge on there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gally View Post
Grant just out of curiosity how long would the battery hold up on it's own?

I'm lucky enough to have constant access to a Sungun but I could rattle one together and save me taking an expensive Sungun home.
As above I've ran mine for 12 minutes before I got bored and turned it off - I don't know how long it would have gone on for. I was surprised to be honest. A couple of guys have done 2-3 cars without charging so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookey View Post
Apologies if I'm being blind, but I can only find 35w 4700K 36deg bulbs on the Svenlight website. Are these the correct ones?

Thanks for the write up and effort in putting all this together
Here's the bulb I recommend if you want to go for colour-corrected bulb.
Nanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nanoman For This Useful Post:
buck-egit (12-04-2012), HornetSting (01-03-2011), Keir (04-09-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #43
CraigQQ
Pass The Sandpaper. . .

Thanked 4,623 Times in 3,687 Posts
Garage
grant, call it "Grant's much better alternative to the sun gun"
not quite as catchy as sun gun, but conveys the message..

USC? ultimate swirl checker?
CraigQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigQQ For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #44
mopardave
Washmitt Meister

diy sun gun

Grant.........absolutely top effort mate! I can't believe people are knocking your efforts here! I would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to share it with us.........I think even a total spanner like me could manage this (well, the battery only version!) thanks to your guidance!

Keep up the good work mate........ah, making stuff.......that's what us Brits do best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwils View Post
You can't let it go can you Mr Cooper. With all due respect can you refrain from posting in this thread if you're just going to tell us how good the SunGun is? We all know how good the SunGun is - for £400 it better be brilliant. I'm just pointing out that there is a far cheaper alternative that can be just as good for far less cost. I'm also showing people (with help from other members) how to make it. I think I've also pointed out a few things 3M could do to improve their version.

If you would like to put one of these to the test against a SunGun I'm more than happy to accommodate. FYI I'm working on getting this made to comply with all regulations. If it goes ahead (cost V's benefit/risk) what will your thoughts be? Are you a badge snob? If so I'll happily give you the pleasure of naming it so you can have your very own badge on there!

As above I've ran mine for 12 minutes before I got bored and turned it off - I don't know how long it would have gone on for. I was surprised to be honest. A couple of guys have done 2-3 cars without charging so far.

Here's the bulb I recommend if you want to go for colour-corrected bulb.
mopardave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mopardave For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #45
Steve valentine
Orbital Oracle

I'm still confused as to how the 3m version is 400 quid?

Case - battery - charger - bulb and holder - 400 quid?

As has been said, badge snobbery, the home made version looks very professional.

I did have initial concerns about heat from the bulb causing distortion to the case but it seems with a test run time of 12 minutes it works well.

But, me being anal on these things, if I were to make one, I would fit a small PC case fan in there.

Well done to the inventors
Steve valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve valentine For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #46
dooka
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man

Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,612 Posts
Garage
Nice write up Grant ..

Anyone interested in sorting a group buy on bulbs..
dooka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dooka For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #47
HornetSting

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid73 View Post
Well done Grant , I'm going to get my stuff at the weekend and try and machine up a bulb holder then I may be able to run a few off.
That mean for a nominal charge you will get some made for the lads?
HornetSting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HornetSting For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #48
PaulN

Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,065 Posts
Garage
This is Great.... Very very impressive and theres plenty of room in the market for a top end and budget light gun to keep everyone happy.

Id happily pay good money for the DIY version to be fair.

Cheers

PaulN
PaulN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulN For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #49
chillihound
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Made mine last week from a new Dewalt and it's the dogs danglies, not gonna bother with the external power source stuff as I have 2 batteries but I have included a push button switch so I can use the trigger or as hands free.
chillihound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chillihound For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #50
amiller

Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,178 Posts
I might as well pipe in hear with my thoughts on this.

I bought my 3M Sun Gun as it is the best light for highlighting paint defects. To that end, there is no still better light source for spotting this defects.

However, this new device (with the correct bulb) is just as good at defect spotting. Not better, not worse; it is exactly the same as it uses the same bulb at the same voltage. The only differences are the 3M branding and the £380 price difference. When compared side by side (and I used both individually on Sunday) there was NO difference at all. I do personally think there was a substantial difference between the ‘correct’ £8 bulb and the standard build that was originally used, so well worth upgrading.

Personally, I wouldn’t use the 12v adaptor or the 240v adaptor, as the battery whilst only lasting an hour or so is plenty for me.

Hope that comes across as an honest review/comparison.
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to amiller For This Useful Post:
ads2k (07-03-2011), atrose81 (14-05-2013), BareFacedGeek (01-03-2011), buck-egit (12-04-2012), catch the pigeo (01-03-2011), Evs (11-09-2011), Keir (04-09-2011), kevp69 (08-06-2012), Kimb (06-03-2012), Mirror Finish Details (01-03-2011), Nanoman (01-03-2011), phil_rs (14-08-2011), sideshowbob (18-05-2012), Stomper (12-06-2011), superdoug (01-03-2011)