Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 30-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #71
Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
You have the patience of a saint! I'm just going to scrap/blast the underside of my Pug.

Looking good either way man! Any plans to have it out this year?
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magic For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (30-04-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #72
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
You have the patience of a saint! I'm just going to scrap/blast the underside of my Pug.

Looking good either way man! Any plans to have it out this year?
Thanks man,well I do use a wire knot wheel on a drill so under seal come off very quickly.
I don't think it will be ready by this year,I still have to sort out some power supply for the welder (well other than my skill to use it),and the welding itself is going to be quite involved/time consuming but that's okay as I don't want to rush anything if I'm not happy with the work.

How is your 106 doing by the way? Are you still working on stripping the bodywork?
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #73
Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
Thanks man,well I do use a wire knot wheel on a drill so under seal come off very quickly.
I don't think it will be ready by this year,I still have to sort out some power supply for the welder (well other than my skill to use it),and the welding itself is going to be quite involved/time consuming but that's okay as I don't want to rush anything if I'm not happy with the work.

How is your 106 doing by the way? Are you still working on stripping the bodywork?
Yeah, you gotta get it right - can't rush perfection!

Haven't touched it for a few months now. I bought a welder recently and started welding up my BMW. Should get some progress over the summer on the 106 though!
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #74
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

I had mentioned a while ago that I was frequenting a Level 3 Motorsport course,since I have now completed everything my good teacher gave me an opportunity to practice some welding (well until I ran out of gas lol) having told him on the project I'm working on,it was a lot of fun and would definitely do it every chance I get sometime soon,definitely need a lot a practice though lol,pictures to follow,we used 1mm,1.5mm,2mm and 3mm using a SUPERMIG150,the same one I have,with a 0.8mm wire.

First sheet of metal 1mm with a 0.8 wire,some of the welds are the teacher ones (on these 2 pictures below),blow trough is obviously mine,almost all of the welds following the line of the bench are mine,I also tried some tacks.

Back:

Tried laying down some beads on 3mm:

Back:

At this point we had a 206 coming in the workshop as the welds on the manifold bracket had broke,perfect opportunity to give it a go lol (with teacher consent of course).

Before:

After:

Not pretty but it was plenty strong and no exhaust leaks.

Oh and the auto darkening helmet I've used:

+10 HP for flames (I did order a plain black one but they sent this instead,doesn't matter as it still works brilliantly).

I then tried to weld some 1.5mm doing tacks to simulate a car panel,this is after I ground it down as mistakes were made (definetely need to buy an angle grinder at least to ground down the welds as with the dremel it takes ages and in fact I gave up):

Back,no penetration lol:

Tried again just to lay some tacks,the one near the edge,far right,is the last weld I did which imo looks the best out of the bunch:

Back:

Then tried an overlap (same as if you would weld some strengthening plates) on a 3mm sheet (I did also try some tacks in the center),no pretty but I hit it with a hammer several times and didn't separate so does have some strength in it I suppose:

Again no penetration:

Well,gas run out at this point.
Anyhow,will continue to practice unitl I get the hang of it then will start thinking about welding on the car,of course any suggestions on welding are much appreciated.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 13-05-2018 at 10:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (09-05-2018)
Old 16-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #75
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

Stripped the other side of the fender to coat with the Electrox,before:

after

Primed:

Tidying the garage a little bit,decided to get rid of the standard bonnet as it wasn't looking too good (want to use a fibreglass one anyway),though I wonder why was it cut like that in the photo below? We will never know.

Wasn't too happy to find that somebody before my ownership damaged the sill jacking the car up in the wrong spot so wanted to see if I could make it look a bit better,before:

After:

Aaaaand..banned again from working in the garage,brb finding another one.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 16-05-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 18-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #76
enc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Wow,! Proper restoration. You put some graft into that dude ,,... excellent work so far
enc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enc For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (18-05-2018)
Old 26-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #77
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

Gave a deposit down for the new place,even comes with a fridge,it's 6 by 4 meters:

The Following User Says Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
Nozza (26-05-2018)

Tags
even more rust, feelsbadman, more rust, rust