Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #21
restricted
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
No designed for DA. No idea if it can be used for rotary, but certainly wasn’t designed for it.
ah ok, any suggestions for what to use on a rotary?
restricted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #22
OvlovMike
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by restricted View Post
I always loved the Audi V8 and the V6 in the '5 had 2 issues

It was a diesel and it was missing 2 cylinders
No it wasn't. You could get an S5 with a supercharged petrol V6. That is not diesel, and it had plenty enough cylinders.

You'll want that lump dismantling and de-coking at some point, to get back over 300hp...
OvlovMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OvlovMike For This Useful Post:
restricted (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #23
restricted
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvlovMike View Post
No it wasn't. You could get an S5 with a supercharged petrol V6. That is not diesel, and it had plenty enough cylinders.

You'll want that lump dismantling and de-coking at some point, to get back over 300hp...
All cars need maintenance, part of the fun of ownership and as I do it all myself it's even more enjoyable.
If the engine ever needs a rebuild then it'll be built.... no fuss, or drama
You are correct you can get a Supercharged S5 V6, but a Supercharged V8 in time would be even better...!!

my missing the extra cylinders was meant in relation to my A5 V6, and I loved that car...
Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #24
restricted
Sponge Jockey

So todays update is nothing more exciting than ordering more parts from my local friendly neighbourhood Spide... (wrong Universe) Audi Dealer...!

each night i have been fitting the rest of the interior LED's, very pleased with them... i did discover the passenger puddle light housing in the base of the door was cracked, so a new one was ordered and fitted (with the bulb replaced for the LED
The rear "S5" badge had a small corner of the red flash missing, so a brand new badge ordered and fitted.

Whilst talking to the Parts guy i mentioned that my main MMI knob was peeling, he said there was a repair kit available, which i replied was for the joystick option on the later MMI. He confirmed that, which wouldn't work on mine, to which he then stated that the knob isn't available on it's own "you have to buy the complete panel, at £740".
Bit of digging through ETOS and found the version of knob i needed and duly ordered... £29 is a bit better than £740...!!!

Hopefully over the weekend i can get some time to fit the brake lines and have a good clean under the arches, with getting the liners out etc...

but i did manage a cheeky shot of my old and new together for one last time...
The Following User Says Thank You to restricted For This Useful Post:
jammytask (07-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #25
restricted
Sponge Jockey

As i had 10 minutes to kill at lunch i thought i'd stick some of the LED's in.

as said before and by others, very impressed with the service from Trups. All parts very well made and clearly labelled.

So i managed to get the 4no map reading lights in and the centre dome done, perfect colour.

the camera does not do them justice, and the light is nicely diffused behind the lens.
Just need to fit the rest, sod work...!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #26
restricted
Sponge Jockey

With the weather being a washout in the morning so all chance of doing the brake lines was abandoned for another more dryer day. So i set about doing the firmware update, mine being the original version the car left the factory with.
Version 3250

Loving things which are fairly idiot proof i used this guide
MMI 2G software update to version 5570 - mr-fix.info
my satnav being MMI 2G High and i bought the 3 CD disc pack from my local Audi Dealer

The guide documents that all discs be removed from the front and rear CD players, what it fails to state is which player the update CD goes into... having nearly burned the planet down to the ground having used the Nav CD player in the boot and constantly getting CD not recognised, it suddenly dawned on me that maybe i should use the in dash CD...
(I did say i like things idiot proof... clearly i'm a special idiot!!!)
anyway having got the correct disc in the correct player...

it all started to download perfectly.
Disc 2 was done twice as i have inbuilt Bluetooth
and with the last disc downloaded we have

I have the battery charger plugged in to keep the battery levels high, it kept on coming up with low battery voltage, now as the battery is of an unknown age/condition I thought i'd swap it out for a known good one...
Old 08-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #27
restricted
Sponge Jockey

Well the battery issue turned out to be that the replacement battery had to be recoded.... never known of that before, everyday is a school day.

I found this here which showed the way forward.
Just a note to others if you are inputting the whole code, including the batteries part number, make sure you have 2 spaces after that and before the 3 digit code, the long coding needs to see 26 characters in total, including spaces.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #28
restricted
Sponge Jockey

and today was all about the loss of bass...

quick search has this thread with all the information required....

it's now more sorted than Mr Sorted from Sort Town in Sortshire.....
Old 08-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #29
restricted
Sponge Jockey

So todays update is nothing more exciting than ordering more parts from my local friendly neighbourhood Spide... (wrong Universe) Audi Dealer...!

each night i have been fitting the rest of the interior LED's, very pleased with them... i did discover the passenger puddle light housing in the base of the door was cracked, so a new one was ordered and fitted (with the bulb replaced for the LED
The rear "S5" badge had a small corner of the red flash missing, so a brand new badge ordered and fitted.

Whilst talking to the Parts guy i mentioned that my main MMI knob was peeling, he said there was a repair kit available, which i replied was for the joystick option on the later MMI. He confirmed that, which wouldn't work on mine, to which he then stated that the knob isn't available on it's own "you have to buy the complete panel, at £740".
Bit of digging through ETOS and found the version of knob i needed and duly ordered... £29 is a bit better than £740...!!!

Hopefully over the weekend i can get some time to fit the brake lines and have a good clean under the arches, with getting the liners out etc...
Old 13-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #30
restricted
Sponge Jockey

Today was spent removing all the aluminium window trim and grill so as to get it into the paintshop to get it turned black.... I just couldn't bring myself to wrap it in vinyl.

What an absolute **** of a job, the WSM states one line on interior removal, there went 2 hours of the day....

Poor thing is looking sorry for itself, tape has been applied to all the window edges to seal it all back up....

Just need to make my mind up on whether satin or gloss black!!!