Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 13-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #51
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Part numbers I have are as..

- Oil Filter - S06A115561B
- Quantum 5W-40 - SZGB115QLB00521
- Dipstick Tube - 06A103663B
- Pollen Filter - S1J0819644A
- Fuel Filter - 1J0201511A
- Fuel Filter Clip - SN0245226

- NGK Iridium Spark Plugs - BKR6EIX

If its of any use the interior switch for deactivating interior sensors for the alarm its

- Switch - S4B0962109A01C

Also

- Brake vacuum pipe - S1J0612041EJ
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantB5 For This Useful Post:
MEH4N (15-01-2017)
Old 13-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #52
GrantB5

Update - 13/01/2017

Had another delivery arrive at my work today which is always nice. This time around it was my KillAllWipers kit.

The car was already de-wipered but with a cheap rubber bung. Not sealed and nor was it flush.

Popped out easy.

The kit came with a set of instructions, luckily for me I have used this kit before except this time around it came with a nice new syringe!

Quick clean inside and outside of the window...

All in and sealed, masking taped up to secure in place for 1 week as advised. For me this will stay taped until I start chaning interior panels to black.

Cleaned off any residue on the outside also. The number plate is coming off the car soon, I am aware the plate is wonky and also illegally spaced. Processing the plate change next week. Come to think of it I may even make new plates for the week with the correct spacing.

Anyway with that finished, it was time to get the car on the ramps for an oil change, first time doing this myself also ha. While it was up on the ramps I had a quick look around for myself.

This dogbone mount was replaced recently with a euro car parts special. This is going to be replace, more than likely with polybushes rather than a new unit.

Rear subframe bushes have also been replaced, they have a polythene bush in but not sure which brand. I will probably change these at some point also. Well thats the plan.

Engine cover was smashed to pieces so I just removed the surviving pieces. It didn't take much.

The car had an oil change recently but had some silicone added to the sump plug to stop a leak. Not on my books.

Oil out. Also at this stage while the oil filter was off, stuck an airline on the internal of the filter housing and cleared out any gunk from the pick up breather and stuck 1L of 5w-30 in to flush it out. Trick of the trade there? It will do for now anyway until I take the sump off and clean it out properly.

Old on the left, OEM replacement on the right.

New sump plug.

Top up time.

Finish it off with some rivalry screenwash.

Had a play around in the engine bay today also and knocked the brake booster pipe that I suspected had the vacuum leak and it started hissing at me like an angry cat. So that has jumped up on my to do list.
Enjoying getting my hands dirty and looking forward to doing more.

Last edited by GrantB5; 13-01-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 14-01-2017, 01:42 AM   #53
Forsh

Garage
Nice work!

...except I would have replaced the crappy wiper bung with an actual wiper but that might just be showing my age

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #54
GrantB5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
Nice work!

...except I would have replaced the crappy wiper bung with an actual wiper but that might just be showing my age

Ha I'm a lover of a VW hatch with no rear wiper
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantB5 For This Useful Post:
RandomlySet (06-02-2017)
Old 14-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #55
Tomm
Orbital Oracle

Thought I had replied to this early on but clearly not.

I've had many 20VT over the years and currently have one of my old 225 TTs back at the moment for breaking. I work with a chap who has one of these and has done for a few years now.

I was looking at those rear wiper bunts last night as it happens, seem very tidy as a better option in comparison to the old rubber bungs.

It looks like you have a very nice workshop to use there, not envious at all!
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (15-01-2017)
Old 14-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #56
Disco Smudge
Washmitt Meister

I had quite a clunk whilst changing from first to second on my V6. I replaced the dog bone bush with a red power flex bush as I read the yellow ones gave quite a lot of vibration

Last edited by Disco Smudge; 15-01-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Disco Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #57
GrantB5

I've had many 20VT over the years and currently have one of my old 225 TTs back at the moment for breaking. I work with a chap who has one of these and has done for a few years now.

I was looking at those rear wiper bunts last night as it happens, seem very tidy as a better option in comparison to the old rubber bungs.

It looks like you have a very nice workshop to use there, not envious at all![/QUOTE]

Ha I could think of a whole list of parts from your TT that I would like but other stuff to sort first! Would love the rear brake setup for sure...

The wipers are very good quality well worth the £10.00.

Workshops pretty much brand new, as long as all the works complete etc we can use it but not take the p! I usually do the work at the back of my mates house in the cold or in another mates enclosed shed but by no means warm ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Smudge View Post
I had quite a clunk whilst changing from first to second on my V6. I replaced the dog bone bush with a red power flex bush as I red the yellow ones gave quite a lot of vibration

Yeah I want to change this asap. Think I will get a price from TPS for a new unit and if its too much look for a 2nd hand original and then polybush that. Not sure I want to polybush the ebay one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #58
jebus
Orbital Oracle

Not a fan of golfs, but loving the attention to detail here, and the interior looks very un-VW like in cream
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jebus For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (15-01-2017)
Old 15-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #59
Disco Smudge
Washmitt Meister

I think it was about £70 when I got a quote. I just polybushed the original. Bought the bush of eBay for £26ish
Disco Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #60
GrantB5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Smudge View Post
I think it was about £70 when I got a quote. I just polybushed the original. Bought the bush of eBay for £26ish
I don't have the original though I have an euro car parts replacement so I'm not sure I wanna poly bush that one ha