Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 21-03-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
rojer386
Orbital Oracle

Great start to the new thread Paul....obviously I've subscribed!
rojer386 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rojer386 For This Useful Post:
macca666 (21-03-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 01:36 AM   #12
Bulkhead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
This has brought back bad memories!! I had an early non-turbo MG Maestro, complete with the computerised voice thingy. It had the awful 1.6 R series engine with un-tunable carbs and Oliver Reed thirst. It leaked in the cabin, the red paint would fade regularly on the plastic bumpers and the gear change was notchy. The first service cost more than I paid for the car. I still thought it was quite cool and it was very comfortable. Nice to still see some around as Austin Rover cars never seem to get the love of equivalent ones from Ford, Vauxhaul, VW etc.
Bulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulkhead For This Useful Post:
macca666 (21-03-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #13
LeeH

In on this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeH For This Useful Post:
macca666 (21-03-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #14
macca666

Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,119 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkhead View Post
This has brought back bad memories!! I had an early non-turbo MG Maestro, complete with the computerised voice thingy. It had the awful 1.6 R series engine with un-tunable carbs and Oliver Reed thirst. It leaked in the cabin, the red paint would fade regularly on the plastic bumpers and the gear change was notchy. The first service cost more than I paid for the car. I still thought it was quite cool and it was very comfortable. Nice to still see some around as Austin Rover cars never seem to get the love of equivalent ones from Ford, Vauxhaul, VW etc.
The early MG 1600 are now very rare probably more so than the turbo. They were only produced for a couple of year before moving in '86 to the 2.0efi. The voice synthesizers were something else never had one but apparently they were a right pain as if you think of todays error beeps (ie if you don't put your seatbelt on) then you had someone speak that to you. They recently had a 30th annivversary for the Montego if I remember correctly and Nicolette McKenzie who provided the original voice was in attendance for it.

As you say Buulkhead they caused no end of problems but for some reason always had a place for people that owned one.

Mine is old school single carb however different to the 1600 so should be less troublesome once i've got is set up and balanced correctly.

AR seem to be getting a bit more popular but you're right for some reason they were never loved like the Fords or Vauxhalls of the same era. That said it's maybe because they rotted away at the first sign of bad weather
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca666 For This Useful Post:
Bulkhead (21-03-2018), SBM (04-04-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #15
macca666

Garage
So i'm up early today and thought i'd put another update on before I head to work - well seeing I wasn't out on the sauce last night

The drive back home was thankfully uneventful if a little long given it was 300 mile and we were pulling the 'Stro. Although not MOT'd it was driving so drove it into the driveway and managed to get some pictures both in and out of the garage which would be it’s home whilst I carried out the work on it - though didn't expect it to be this long!!

Overall i’m happy with it and on initial inspection it looks pretty solid but we all know what classics are like when you start to strip them down…..

Here's some pictures going into it's home for what I didn't realise would be at least 5 years......

Note how low it's sitting this isn't lowered suspension it's just goosed....

I like this front end shot just a pity the front indicator was missing....

Note the overhead lighting showing up the swirl free bonnet

Managed to load as much spares as I could after folding down the rear seats of the 'Stro and also into the back of the Kia of my mate. A job well done

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macca666 For This Useful Post:
chongo (21-03-2018), JR1982 (21-03-2018), rojer386 (21-03-2018), SBM (04-04-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
macca666

Garage
Meant to say earlier as well thanks for all the positive comments everyone I realise that this isn't too everyones taste and there are many great project threads on here (which actually helps me along the way) so i'm glad to see and hear that there's still some support for the Maestro
JR1982 (21-03-2018), SBM (04-04-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #17
milesdrive
Unwashed Member

When it's finished will you be racing around the local council estate doing handbrake turns? ;-) :-)) .....be brilliant to see this finished mate
milesdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milesdrive For This Useful Post:
macca666 (21-03-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #18
rojer386
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdrive View Post
When it's finished will you be racing around the local council estate doing handbrake turns? ;-) :-)) .....be brilliant to see this finished mate
Or to quote Macca “it will be quicker off the lights than your p!shy Beemer rojer” haha.

It will be good to see this on the road mate.
rojer386 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rojer386 For This Useful Post:
macca666 (21-03-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #19
macca666

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojer386 View Post
Or to quote Macca “it will be quicker off the lights than your p!shy Beemer rojer” haha.

It will be good to see this on the road mate.
If it's any consolation I had a conversation with Chongo telling him I thought I'd be able to take Taz as well when it's on the road
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macca666 For This Useful Post:
chongo (21-03-2018), rojer386 (21-03-2018), SBM (04-04-2018)
Old 21-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #20
macca666

Garage
Next update:

So with the car now in the garage, although on the face of it looking pretty solid, my intention was always to strip out all the interior and remove what bolt on/off bodywork I could to see what the car was like in the bits I couldn’t see. Knowing that both sills were rusting and going to be replaced I suspected that there would be other areas that would need some attention.

The engine had been rebuilt by the previous owner and the engine bay prepped and painted prior to refitting so at least that should have been one area I didn’t need to do.

Here's some pics I got sent in progress.....

mmmm shiny

For the bolt on parts I removed both front wings, all 4 doors, front and rear bumper and stripped out the interior to give me access into the B pillars, floor panel and boot floor checking out all the known areas of rust for these.

As with all older cars there are a number of areas specific to the Maestro which always go first. I won't list them here but there is a guide on my website on the first page if anyone is interested.

Here is some of the common areas that get hit heavily with the dreaded tin worm and my inspection check. I do have some pictures but for some reason appear to have lost quite a few as I did take pictures as I went along....

Tailgate – this was one area there didn’t appear to be any issues so result in my first check.

Rear Valence – OK first issue noted. The exterior panel behind the rear bumper had been repaired before and repainted (or painted given AR decided not to paint at factory) and seemed solid however from the inside where it meets the bottle floor was showing signs of rot.

Windscreen – this area seemed solid with no issues and the windscreen seal had been removed so I could get a decent look at it.

Rear wheel arches – outer arches appeared solid however there was some rot in the inner arch so this will need some attention.

Rear Suspension Turrets– no issues here apart from the suspension being shot but bodywork wise it was solid.

Sills – these were needing replaced having rusted through at the rear on both sides. Need to check the inner sills when the outers are removed. Fingers crossed the inner sills are OK as it was only outers that I had new to replace.

Doors – no major issues here but some surface rust that will need attention.

In addition to the above I had some rust on both front wings which would need attention and some slight surface rust on all inner wheel arches. Again this would be sorted.

When the carpets were out I discovered some areas of the floor pan which were going to have to be cut out and replaced. Two areas at the front jacking points, one area at the drivers footwell, one at the rear offside floorwell and one at the boot floor where it meets the rear valence.

It was always my intention to try and do as much if not everything myself so first point of call was to save up my pennies and buy myself a welder.......

Next post will have the pictures that I do have just need to get them uploaded onto Imgur.....
chongo (21-03-2018), SBM (04-04-2018)