Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Britemax
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Britemax Britemax Direct is the official UK based online shop, where you purchase the complete range of Britemax metal polishes and vehicle detailing products along with carefully chosen third party accessories. Britemax (formally Metal Masters) earned its first class reputation on the excellence of its metal polishes, known affectionately by the trade as the ‘metal twins’, a name we have now adopted. Britemax Easy Cut™ and Final Shine™ are now considered by many to be the best metal cleaner/polish sealant combination available today. The Britemax range includes body shop safe, non-silicon compounds and glazes, resin polymer sealant and waxes formulated to provide long lasting shine and protection, rubber, vinyl and leather conditioners, pH balanced cleaner, safe degreasers, iron removers & premium detailing spray. Britemax® is a registered trade mark.

Old 24-01-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
Brian1612
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,072 Posts
Detailingworld™ Review - Britemax Virtue

Introduction

Many thanks to Matt over at Britemax-Direct for sending out this sample sized bottle of Virtue, along with a few others for review. I have previously tested, reviewed and been left impressed by other products from the range, so I am excited to try out some of the brands new offerings to the market. Britemax are not to be mistaken as an American company, although all their product development takes place in the states the company is actually British owned. Something I wasn't aware of until I began reviewing their range of products.

Following on from the pleasant Pure Max, this is the 2nd review in my 4 part Britemax product review series with LSPs Extreme Elements 2.0 and Remax still to come. For any further information on any of the products tested & the brand, please visit http://www.britemax-direct.co.uk/ who are the official distributors of Britemax goods within the UK.

The Product

What exactly is Virtue then?

I admit I have struggled to define this product. It could be looked at as any number of the following such as a glaze, a finishing polish, an all-in-one, a cleansing polish and even a paint priming polish for ceramic coatings. Virtue has clearly been designed with versatility in mind. What sets Virtue apart from most others on the market is its chemical background which doesn’t feature wax or polymers but Silica aka SiO₂ . These types of ceramic based/infused products seem to be growing ever more popular, especially in the LSP market but they are pretty rare when it comes to AIO/polishes. The description direct from the Britemax-direct website is as follows:

Britemax Virtue Si02 Primer Polish 473ml (16oz)

• Ceramic Coating Preparation
• Adds a protective layer of Si02
• Super hydrophobic finish
• Produces extreme levels of gloss
• Contains semi-permanent fillers
• Use with DA, Rotary or by hand
• Also available in pro trade bulk US gallon

Virtue is a silica primer finishing polish designed to leave painted surfaces with a high gloss finish, ready to be sealed. Featuring a blend of durable resins that produce unpararalled levels of gloss and nano-tech quartz technology.

Virtue contains fine abrasives manufactured to remove light swirls and scratches, whilst leaving behind semi-permanent fillers to create the perfect finish.

By Machine: Shake well. Clean and dry surfaces. Use a polishing / finessing buffing pad. Dispense a liberal amount of product on the desired surface and spread evenly using the face of the buffer pad. Increase buffer speed and gradually reduce pressure. Work areas to a desired finish. Buff and remove dried residue with a clean soft cloth.

By Hand: Shake well. Apply a small amount to surface and rub in a circular motion with a polishing cloth / applicator. Buff dried residue off with a seperate soft clean cloth.”

This small 4oz (113ml) sample sized bottle still includes all the quality features of the larger, full sized 16oz products. The labels are smaller versions of the larger ones and include the same smart Britemax branding which includes all relevant descriptions/instructions. The sample bottle still includes the handy flip open tops which makes applying pea sized dots onto your pad less messy. The fluid within didn’t smell like much, just the usual polish type scent you get with most of these products. Viscosity was thinner than other products of this type and I found it was similar to pouring cream in viscosity.

The Method

My sisters CX-5 has been a little neglected of late and I haven’t really washed it myself for quite a few months. The car has also had a few little scrapes in that time that needed some attention, namely on the front wing. With Virtue requiring testing I thought this would be a good opportunity to give it a little run out on a few panels and see what it can do. The car was given the usual treatment with a pre wash and 2BM. The panels I would be trying Virtue out on also had a full decontamination carried out (de-tar, fallout removal and claying).

I set up my DA with a foam finishing pad. The first panel to be machined would be the front bumper which had a few marks on it and one very visible straight line scratch.

Three large pea sized blobs per applied to the foam pad and patted along a section of the bumper.

The DA was then set to a low speed (2) and with light pressure the product was spread evenly across the panel. Moderate pressure was then applied with the speed increased to 4.5. I worked Virtue in both horizontal and vertical lines for a total of 4 passes. Pressure was then reduced with speed going up to 5.5 and a further 2 passes were carried out until the film was almost clear. The remainder of the bumper was polished in the same way until complete.

The dried haze buffed off effortlessly with absolutely no grab on the MF towel at all. Whether it is the filling capability or the cutting ability I don't know, but the results were pretty impressive considering I only used a finishing pad and the previous scratch was now barely visible. The resulting gloss was very impressive with the bumper looking very sharp.

Next to receive some attention was the passenger side wing which again had a few scratches I could test out Virtue on.

The same method as above was carried out on the wing so spread over on low speed, work in with moderate pressure for 4 passes then finish off with less pressure for 2 passes.

The results again were as impressive, proving the bumper wasn't a one off.

Once again the levels of gloss achieved was extremely impressive from this combination of Virtue on a finishing pad.

Although only a few panels were machined on this occasion, it gave me enough time to form an opinion on Virtue. Firstly it is an absolute dream to use. It spreads really well and has good work times with absolutely zero dusting. Working the product into the panel results in an almost clear film remaining and removing this is effortless. Using my plush korean MF, the haze buffed off the panels as if there was nothing there at all.

I think given how Virtue performed it would take a lot of effort to overwork and cause this product to dust up. The level of cut provided was surprising to me given that I was only using a soft finishing pad. Now I am aware that Virtue also has semi permanent filling properties so it is likely part of the impressive results is down to this. It is worth noting though that I spoke to Matt at Britemax about the cutting power of Virtue. He forwarded me a few photos and short write up from another tester, in which he managed to remove 2000 grade grit marks using Virtue on a cutting pad. As he wiped the panel down several times with panel wipe after use, this proved the correction came from the abrasives and not the fillers. Finally the gloss levels are top notch. The panels machined using Virtue were obvious to see with a sharpness and clarity to the paint not seen on the untouched panels.

Lets not forget that Virtue does offer some protection on application. Durability hasn't been accurately measured and is no more than an added bonus but roughly a few months can be expected on it's own. Water behavior doesn't disappoint either with the beads, small, tight and uniform.

Price

I couldn't see a price for the sample size sent out but a full size bottle of Virtue will cost you £32.95 for the 16oz (473ml) which although expensive, still undercuts similar competitors. Britemax Virtue can be picked up here:

https://www.britemax-direct.co.uk/br...oz-c2x24104498

Would I use it again?

This is difficult. I love everything about this product but for me personally, I don't think I would. This opinion comes not because the product didn't perform, it's a corker of product. Virtue's party piece is that it can be used to prep paint for ceramic coatings, offering both good cut and filling capabilities in one step with the unique ability that ceramic coatings can go straight on top of it. This is why the cost is high in comparison to other polish/compounds/AIO in the Britemax range. and as I don't use coatings Virtue would be wasted on me.

Conclusion

Virtue is like an AIO polish/compound but on steroids. Both application and removal is effortless with the results via machine truly fantastic. It has a rare feature in that it can be used like a super glaze, correcting and filling with a ceramic coating applied on top. Doing so seals those semi-permanent scratch hiding fillers in for a long time along with the fantastic gloss. If you are looking for a product that can greatly improve the condition of your paint quickly but still allow a ceramic coating on top I would urge you to give Virtue a go.

Thanks for reading guys and feel free to ask any questions. Ps. I will be giving this another run out in future so will add more photo's and 50/50 shots.

DW reviewer has followed the Manufacturer’s Instructions and accepts no responsibility to any circumstances arising from any member using these products or following this test.

Last edited by Brian1612; 24-01-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
Simonrev (24-01-2018), steelghost (24-01-2018)
Old 24-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,767 Times in 2,070 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1612 View Post
[/SIZE]
It is worth noting though that I spoke to Matt at Britemax about the cutting power of Virtue. He forwarded me a few photos and short write up from another tester, in which he managed to remove 2000 grade grit marks using Virtue on a cutting pad. As he wiped the panel down several times with panel wipe after use, this proved the correction came from the abrasives and not the fillers.
Given that filling from this sort of product can resist panel wipes etc, I'm not sure I necessarily agree with Britemax about the cutting potential - could easily be the cutting power of the pad, with the product providing lubrication and gloss. The end result looks great in either case, but saying "product X has good cut because it corrects when used on a cutting pad" doesn't follow for me.

All that aside, it looks like a very interesting product. Looking forward to seeing how the other products in your set pan out For instance, if you could use EE 2.0 to lock in the gloss and filling from Virtue, that would be a really nice way of using it that wouldn't need the very careful application and conditions required for a coating.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Brian1612

You may well be right Steel, it's a difficult one to 100% confirm. I am thinking going over the panel again with a cleanser to remove the fillers might be a better way of confirming? If it's the filling capability that itself is impressive to fill those sort of marks.

Plan on using the roof with one half Virtue and the other Virtue topped with EE 2.0 to see how they compare/hold up. Possibly have the spoiler in there as well with just bare paint and EE 2.0 to see how that fairs on it's own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
Simonrev (24-01-2018), steelghost (24-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
MR X8X
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Great write up Brian. Couple of points to help you out with Britemax Virtue can be topped off with Britemax extreme elements 2.0 and Britemax Remax which is another great combination. Look at it as Britemax Blackmax on steriods.
When i did the test of using a test panel to remove the 2000 grit sanding marks i used a microfibre cutting pad to remove the marks. It was then panel wiped and no marring was visible. Also it has been used on really soft Bentley paint which was used with a soft microfibre finishing pad and left no marring again used on speed setting 1 to a maximum of 2.5 to get the best results.
Britemax Virtue comes into its own with modern soft thin paint. So when you do not want to be cutting back all the time you can safely remove and fill and seal in one go without loosing to much clear coat.
hope this helps
Martin
MR X8X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR X8X For This Useful Post:
steelghost (29-01-2018), Yellow Dave (29-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
Brian1612

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR X8X View Post
Great write up Brian. Couple of points to help you out with Britemax Virtue can be topped off with Britemax extreme elements 2.0 and Britemax Remax which is another great combination. Look at it as Britemax Blackmax on steriods.
When i did the test of using a test panel to remove the 2000 grit sanding marks i used a microfibre cutting pad to remove the marks. It was then panel wiped and no marring was visible. Also it has been used on really soft Bentley paint which was used with a soft microfibre finishing pad and left no marring again used on speed setting 1 to a maximum of 2.5 to get the best results.
Britemax Virtue comes into its own with modern soft thin paint. So when you do not want to be cutting back all the time you can safely remove and fill and seal in one go without loosing to much clear coat.
hope this helps
Martin
Thanks for the input Martin! I wasn't aware the person who performed these tests was on here so ideal to have your views as well

It's certainly a some what unique product and one I really enjoyed using, look forward to trying it out more in the coming months. Having used this and black max I am now interested to try more of the britemax compounds and finishing polishes. Future purchase for me I reckon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 29-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
MR X8X
Sponge Jockey

Garage
No worries Brian ,not only am i on here i actually work for Britemax in the development of the products.
MR X8X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Brian1612

Very nice! I will need to keep in touch as you no doubt would be a great source of useful info

Tags
britemax, ceramic, polish, virtue