Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Studio
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Studio The place the Detailing World Supporters display their work for viewing : This is a subscription section you will need to go to your userCP (top left of the page) and select Paid Subscriptions for more information.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Finerdetails
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,333 Times in 462 Posts
FinerDetails - The Next Big Investment.....On going updates.

As a head towards the end of my third year, Winter being my time for work and expansion I've decided its time to put FinerDetails into its own work environment. Its a brand new unit, but my plans are in place, and work has already started. Hope to see some subscribers!!!

Work has already started with aim to be have an official launch Jan 2010!

out with the saw, and 6m by 3m later:

next job, break it up:

now drag it out:

then dig out the drain, attach my fitments, and make good ready for new concrete:

Spent last night in the unit filling the wash bay:

You cant really see from the pics, but the fall should ensure all water falls into the drain quite easily. Certainly will only require a quick rinse afterwards to clean up

17.12.09:

Time for some updates on progress. The landlord has been doing his work and also some little jobs for me, and I've got some stuff done too.

wash bay retaining wall now in, and wash bay wall painted and sealed with various stuff prior to next stage of work:

I spent most of Tuesday up at the unit, spending 7 hours brush painting, and then the devine pleasure of just filling in the gaps with a spray gun:

some befores:

(new block work had already had one coat when wash bay wall was primed as I knew it would need a couple)

and after 9 hours painting:

more work will be being completed Friday and Sauturday, so more pics later this week

I good day today, got the jobs done I wanted too, and some extra too Today the bathroom/toilet has been cleaned and painted, the wash bay retaining wall has has its coat of bit. paint, and the floor has had its first clean with the floor cleaner/scrubber I've hire for the weekend. The extrance door was stained too the other day.

23rd Dec:

Some more work been done yesterday, the weather really not helping progress, with me digging out in the morning, then the snow can down all morning so I had to take the van back home at noon to make sure it got home:

This is pic as I turn off ther main A-road

so what been done?
- little wall painted with grey sealing paint
- wash bay floor seal fitted
- wash bay had first coat of bitumen paint
- all unit electrics in - massive thanks to the sparkies for their efforts yest! Even my tube heater in the toilet

today I'm there doing part one office install.

Its been a very busy few days, lots of work to create and and change some four by two and MDF shets into this skin:

The sparky then returned today, connected and installed all electrics in the office, and the links around the unit dependant on the office, so I then set too, filled the insulation, and clad the outside with MDF:

another step closer, hopefully lots more going on next week and a huge push towards the end of Dec deadline for everything to be complete for the New Year!!!!!

Well its New Year's Eve, I've been grafting big time, and just worked as much as I can and had all the help available. So what's been happening?

The office has had 3 caots of paint, inside and out, and I'll show more of that as the work continues on the office, but most of the time hasd been spent building.....

The MDF intended for the wall got used on the office, so its only a quarter clad at the mo, once its been completely clad I'll show more pics, then its being painted to match the unit

New Year's Eve:

This morning's work has included emptying the garage at home and moving EVERYTHING up to the. More on that later, just a glimse of the rubber flooring dropped down for now:

and also another little treat

have a great New Year!

5th Jan 2010

The weather, like for everyone else, is causing some issues. Tasks and jobs are massively delayed and the shear volume of snow/temps is not helping progress. Some progress is being made, and some teething probs are being ironed out too.

Yesterday I left home at just after 8am:

when I got to the unit things didnt improve as the lock on the massive security gates was frozen solid, but luckily I have my aux power in the van, so extension lead out, heat gun on, and hey presto! same of the the unit entrance door too just to get me in!

There is a lot of what I would class as testiong at the moment, one of those jobs being the ramp, having its first trial with a bit of weight!

to give an idea of how hight the van is, here's one with the Ice Road Detailer next to it

and lastly just to show how much snow we've got North of Manchester, check this out. 7.30am this morning, i got the van half way from the raod to the Business Centre Gates, run out of traction, gave it full lock, planted the trottle and pulled it horizontal on the slope to ensure I could get back down the slope once i shovelled all the snow for an hour [b]again[/] arrrrgggghhhh

you can see how the front wheels just spun right as I planted it and danced my way horizontal.

8th Jan 2010

Boy am I knackered. The cold days are really not helping, that coupeld with the FD van being abandoned at the unit, so I'm on shanky's pony there and back most days....

Last two days have been lots of little jobs being done, all centre around finishing this build:

Its been completely clad on both sides now, and to give an idea of size, the door is 3m wide by 2.4m high, the whole wall being 11m wide by 3.65m high. Its been a huge job, now just needs painting both sides, so there's my weekend spoken for.....

11.1.10:

a busy weekend with rlloers and brushes!!!!!!!

15.1.10:

the finishing little jobs are now taking the time, its the little things that make the diffference!

So, the internal wall has had the skirting fitted and painted both sides, and the ramp has been fitted with a new 16a socket and wired new socket in for it at the wall - Syd - huge respect Sir!!!

The office:

all door frame and door fitted, window frame fitted inside, and all painted twice, also skirting inside and out, again two coats of paint. Carpet being fitted at the weekend, and just needs the wood around the outside at the top and painting and its done! (apart from moving everything form home into it, and cleaning the windows )

just to show how plans and progress is being made, some work is being done in the unit now, with a nice long wheel base van to test the wash bay size and workings....

the pics are after washing the van so helps to show the amount of water/dampness remaining.

working perfectly for me

Finally some of the lesser important jobs being done, this can only mean I'm getting xlose to my inital goal!

another job completed and out of the way, just come back from the unit now having been detailing since 8am and then this evening biulding these and transferring my stock etc into them, all nice tidy looking and hidden away

this area between the office and toilet has a more long term plan to it, so for now its being utilised for storage:

24th January 2010

Here we are Ladies and Gentlemen, the end is as close as it will be without the long term plans being rolled out, and the continuous development and improvements which will no doubt take place over the next few weeks, months and years to come!!!

The external view:

the quick walk round:

and in more detail.....

Wash bay and area for all cleaning, claying etc. Full internal wash bay with gradient floor tapering into a central drain. No more issues with temperature, sun, wind or rain interferring in one's work!

Flat working area: designated for all detailing work on the car away from the wash bay area:

Mid rise scissor ramp: To be used for all wheels off detailing, and machine polishing tasks to enable me to lift the car to a perfect height, removing the crawling around the floor and hard to view areas.

and in the last corner, my office and storage away from the Detailing spaces:

many thanks to all who have followed this huge build and development and I hope to see many of you in the near future!

Iain

Last edited by Finerdetails; 24-01-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Finerdetails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Finerdetails For This Useful Post:
alan_mcc (28-12-2009), chunkytfg (20-01-2010), Citi-Car-Care (31-01-2010), clcollins (31-12-2009), Dannymct (25-01-2010), Ducky (10-01-2010), extreme-detail (24-01-2010), Fursecul (12-01-2010), Huw (13-02-2010), jaimesales (08-07-2010), jonnie5 (06-01-2010), karburn (19-01-2010), Mr Gurn (15-01-2010), NickP (03-01-2010), pologti (12-12-2009), Romanza (12-02-2010), samm (09-01-2010), shabba (17-03-2010), tallandy (09-01-2010), Tiauguinho (12-01-2010), tim (17-03-2010)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
dazz25
Sponge Jockey

Looks like a nice unit. Whats the reason for digging the floor up though?
dazz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
chunkytfg
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Subscribed.

Congrats on the unit.

I assume you are doing it properly with the drain going into t a collection tank of some sort?

Do we have a slightly more southern version of polished bliss happening?

You still going to offer mobile stuff or are you staying in the unit from now on?
chunkytfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Finerdetails
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz25 View Post
Looks like a nice unit. Whats the reason for digging the floor up though?
fully internal wash bay
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
KleenChris

Nice one, look forward to the finished product
KleenChris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KleenChris For This Useful Post:
Finerdetails (03-12-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Ronnie
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,429 Posts
very niceindeed a good move there. and wise being able to wash inside..

how do u subscribe a thread?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:
Finerdetails (03-12-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Finerdetails
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post
Subscribed.

Congrats on the unit.

I assume you are doing it properly with the drain going into t a collection tank of some sort?

Do we have a slightly more southern version of polished bliss happening?

You still going to offer mobile stuff or are you staying in the unit from now on?
its all connected and above board.

maybe, thats a very honourable comparison

still mobile as well, I have too many existing customers.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
dazz25
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
very niceindeed a good move there. and wise being able to wash inside..

how do u subscribe a thread?
Click the thread tools link at the top and click on subscriptions. You should then be able to choose your email options
dazz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dazz25 For This Useful Post:
Finerdetails (03-12-2009), rushy (06-12-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Gruffs

Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,379 Posts
Subscribed.

Looks really interesting and i hope it is a success for you.
Gruffs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gruffs For This Useful Post:
Finerdetails (04-12-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Ronnie
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,429 Posts
subscribed as well!!!
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:
Finerdetails (04-12-2009)

Tags