Detailing World Forum banner

Drying brakes

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  macca666 
#1 ·
I reckon this is a difficult one but here goes.
I usually paint wheel hubs, callipers, back plates etc to give a good appearance. When washing the car use bilberry wheel cleaner with a set of wheel woolies to get wheel barrels spotless then pressure wash including discs callipers and hubs etc.
I then like to take the car for a quick blast to get some heat into the brakes and dry them out so that they are not stood wet through and rusting.
I think that a lot of people will experience this but on returning from the run out the wheels become absolutely blathered with dirty brown water from the vented discs and need cleaning again!!
Any suggestions on how to prevent this would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for that surreysam. I googled the stuff to see what it did, not far off doing the job but the brown gunk that I am talking about seems to come out of the inside of the vented discs due to centrifugal force and blathers itself all over the wheel barrel, it is then virtually dry after the drying out run and is a pain to remove. Don't like leaving everything wet as it is a weekend car so may be stood for a week rusting before it gets its next run.
I did say that it is a difficult one to solve!

#6 ·
As others have said you'll need something then that blows air either a compressor, pet dryer, leaf blower, metrovac etc.

If it's only occasionally and only for your brake discs a hairdryer would also do the trick. The last time my OH got a new hairdryer I stole her old one and it's now in the garage I use it regularly for blowing hot air to dry things :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.