Detailing World Forum banner

Seat Ibiza FR 20vt

59K views 144 replies 14 participants last post by  Chino 
#1 · (Edited)
I realised despite having been a member here for sometime, and having a thread for my VW Fastback, I've never created a thread for my long suffering 2005 Seat Ibiza FR.

OK, current spec:

ENGINE.

PD160 Intake
Ramair Induction Kit
Newsouth Power Gasket
APR R1 Diverter Valve
Forge Silicone TIP
Forge Silicone Throttle Hose
Creations Motorsport Silicone DV Hoses
Assorted Silicon hose upgrades
Awesome Breather Hoses
Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat
Milltek Catback Exhaust
Seat Sport FMIC
Forge FMIC Skin Kit
APR Stage 2 (runs around 240bhp/295ft-lb)

ENGINE (COSMETIC).
Forge Coolant Cap
Forge Oil Cap
Forge Washer Cap
Black Powder Coated Inlet
Black Powder Coated Cam Cover

TRANSMISSION/CHASSIS.
AP Coilovers
Powerflex Front ARB Bushes
Superpro Rear Beam Bushes
Superpro Control Arm upper Poly Bushes
Superpro Control Arm Lower Bushes
Powerflex Torque Arm Bush
Forge Front Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar
3mm Spacers on front
10mm H&R Spacers on back

INTERIOR.
Seat Silver Gear Surround
Seat Silver Vent Surrounds
Seat Sport Sill Guards
Race Diagnostics Liquid Gauge
Newsouth Boost Gauge
RGM Pod for Boost Gauge
Seat Ibiza tailored mats
TT Pedals
Cupra Steering Wheel
Cupra Vent Controls

BRAKES.
Brembo Discs
Brembo Pads
Red Calipers
HEL Braided Hoses

LIGHTING.
8K HIDS
White Side Lights
White Full Beam
White Fogs

WHEELS/ TYRES.
17" Alloys
Bridgestone Tyres all round

EXTERIOR.

Facelift FR Front Bumper
Cupra Rear Bumper
Cupra Boot Spoiler
Cupra R Lower Splitter
Bosch Flatblades
Black Vinyl Roof
Black Mirrors
Gloss Black Rubstrips
Tinted Rear Windows
Black/chrome repeaters
Front Wind Deflectors
Black 'S' badge
Lamin-x'd Rear Lights
Dubmeister Plates
Richbrook Stubby Aerial

ICE.

Sony Double DIN Bluetooth HU
Ground Zero Titanium 2 Channel Amp
Ground Zero Titanium 4 Channel Amp
Auto Acoustics Stealth Shelf
Hertz 17cm Components
Pioneer TS-A6903i 6x9s
JBL Bandpass 1300W Sub
Aerial Booster

Car as it stands:

See less See more
#97 ·
Car is ultra tight after the geo the other day and tyre pressures all reset, the difference in grip and reduced body roll/shimmy is dramatic. Even the brakes feel like they're trying to put me thru the front window with the slightest tap (I suspect jumping from the T25 van to this exagerates things). Tyre place advised me to drive it for a couple of weeks to let the new bushings settle then take it back and have it adjusted, as they will alter alignment a little as they bed in.

#98 ·
Well, my initial thoughts of 'Oh it's fixed' didn't last too long...I've noticed I've still got the odd clunks and heavy sensation in the front of the car, I can only assume now it's the engine mounts. Bar the bushing in the dog leg mount, they're all original. I've ordered the latest revisions of the 2 upper mounts, and a new dog leg insert and will get them done...the saga continues.

#104 ·
Spent all day claying this yesterday. Work has been having the metal fencing around the car park painted. They sprayed it :/ cue blue over spray all over all the cars. This was a 6" square section of my bonnet:

Think I got it all off after two hours claying. Then gave it a quick once over with meguiars swirl remover on a medium polishing pad at low speed on DAS6 just to freshen the paint a little before it got its winter coat of Collinite 476s. Pics to follow :)

Car goes on Monday for the new engine mounts to be fitted. Can't wait, I'm imagining it will transform the handling.

#107 ·
New engine mounts in yesterday...what a difference, it's like night and day! Car is tight and sharp handling again, just a lovely bit of feel as the rear damping kicks in then grip-grip-grip!
So yeah...anyone with a higher mileage motor wanting to make a difference to how it feels...don't forget your engine mounts :)

#113 ·
There is this, and I do quite enjoy rolling the van as a daily once in a while. Not sure when I'll get the Ibiza back, left it at Garage 87 and asked them to have a look when they got chance, I felt rather guilty landing a car on them without warning. So probably next week at some point.

#114 ·
Got it back, Chris at Garage 87 has fitted Puma droplinks to it as the original length ones were too long and fouling. To say the car feels planted now is somewhat of an understatement.
I'm away camping in the van the next few nights but i intend to give this some much needed detailing Tuesday as I am off work.

#118 ·
Really like these, shame there's not many decent ones about.
I know what you mean, they're about that point where their residual value isn't great and a lot get done 'on the cheap' and there's a fair few rough ones around. This one tends to eat better than I do, in fact I'd say there's a fair few times I've eaten tins of beans so this got what it needed lol

#120 ·
And as I fix one problem, another rears its head.. was driving along today and noticed a cloud of smoke from my offside rear wheel. Brake calliper stuck on. I had a play and managed to get the handbrake to release but there is still a lot of drag, I think the piston in the calliper is done :/
In the garage it goes tomorrow.... it's only money eh? :/

#122 ·
Yeah, new caliper on but now have ultra spongey brakes. It's gone back in for a full fluid drain and new stuff bleeding through. I'm wondering if the vac line for the brake servo has a split, so have asked them to inspect that whilst it's in too, they're a known common failure on these apparently.

#125 ·
I think I must be reverting to my early twenties or something... Someone has finally started producing a proper Induction Kit, as opposed to just universal cones for DIY fit, to the BJX format of 20VT engines. So..I decided to try one ;)

Comes with a heatshield and fittings so will look a littlel ike this (my engine doesn't have the covers on etc.):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.