Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 10-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
HEADPHONES
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Pretty much agree with all the other replies.
I have SRP and Prima Amigo that I use by hand to cleanse the paint before applying my LSP which is Soft 99 Fusso.
Not only do you see the ingrained dirt on the applicator pad but the difference you feel when applying the wax later is very noticeable.
The wax goes on and comes off like a breeze.
Without the paint cleanse waxing on wasn't enjoyable at all, and buffing off was a nightmare, taking ages and requiring alot of elbow grease!
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
gally
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,533 Posts
Garage
Cleansing imo always was the most important step for me. The difference in paint colour after cleaning was scary.

A few of the more experienced guys actually used to cleanse before polishing. This helps keep the polishing pads clean and the surface clean for marrig removal. Polishing is for polishing not cleaning afterall.

Another note. I one used prime and prime strong after a light polishing session one day. Brand new microfibre pad was lightly dirty showing the cleanser worked on the pores of the paint which the polish did not.

Polish is not built like a cleanser. Prime and prime strong used to be the ultimate paint cleanser for squeaky paint and clarity.
gally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
mawallace
Washmitt Meister

So are we saying use a cleanser before polish. If so is there a polish with no cut. Isn't srp more of a fillet type product
mawallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,060 Posts
Garage
It may be stating the obvious, but a paint cleaner cleans the paint, so use it when the paint needs cleaning This will mostly be either neglected paint, or when doing an annual / bi-annual / as you see fit paint decontamination on a vehicle that's better looked after. Other than the cut the pad you're using may have, paint cleaners don't have any cut, so there's nothing to stop you using one every month if you wanted to. (Hint - use a paint cleaner with a glazing or light polishing pad!)

A finishing polish removes light swirls, and in doing so will likely perform some paint cleaning functions ie removing old LSPs, it may or may not clean the "pores" of the paint as well as a dedicated paint cleaner would.

Some folks use a cleaner before doing any kind of abrasive (ie cutting paint) polishing, others don't feel it necessary. I don't think there's any definite answer to this point....

There's lots and lots of "polishes" and paint cleaners that have no, or almost no cut (although how much cut something has will depend on the hardness of the paint being polished). Some are AIO products which will leave some protection behind, some are pure cleaners which won't do much other than remove muck from the paint (Auto Finesse Tough Prep is a good example of this sort).
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
ad_182_uk
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gally View Post
Cleansing imo always was the most important step for me. The difference in paint colour after cleaning was scary.

A few of the more experienced guys actually used to cleanse before polishing. This helps keep the polishing pads clean and the surface clean for marrig removal. Polishing is for polishing not cleaning afterall.

Another note. I one used prime and prime strong after a light polishing session one day. Brand new microfibre pad was lightly dirty showing the cleanser worked on the pores of the paint which the polish did not.

Polish is not built like a cleanser. Prime and prime strong used to be the ultimate paint cleanser for squeaky paint and clarity.

im guessing if they were using a cleanser before polishing they would use something like the serious performance cleanser that leaves nothing behind?

would it be recommended to do the following then;

usual wash and decon process
paint cleanse
polish
paint cleanse again
sealent?

or

usual wash and decon process
paint cleanse
polish
pre wax cleanse / glaze
wax?

or am i being a bit special
ad_182_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
ad_182_uk
Washmitt Meister

also...

unless i have been misguided is the following true;

AF rejuvinate / tripple, prima amigo, 50cal cover up, cleakote red moose

all leave something behind so need following with a wax

serious performance paint cleanse, AF tough prep, BH cleanser fluid? probably others but not too sure

all leave nothing behind so ideal for sealant but wax also can be used.

blackfire GEP, dodo microprime - not sure on these ones as both state they can be followed with a sealent but also apprently mask defects suggesting something is left behind. i would of thought this would be detrimental to the durability of LSP?
ad_182_uk is offline   Reply With Quote