Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 04-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
ChasesDragons
Sponge Jockey

Best protection for a freshly painted car

Hi all,
Just about to collect my freshly painted old Volvo classic. It is a turquoise colour, non metallic. It doesnt have a lacquer top coat, which I understand was how older cars were done. This probably makes it prone to bloom.

Do you think a ceramic coat is a good idea? Any other ideas would be really welcome.
ChasesDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,304 Posts
Garage
Hi, I know lacquered cars need to gas off for a week or two after painting and would ask if this is the case with single stage. Its usually recommended not to seal or wax for a few weeks while the paint gases off.

Ceramics are good choice for protection if the paint is in perfect condition, if there are swirls etc then you are just sealing them in. How is the car used and stored? If its garaged and not used everyday keeping on top of polishing and waxing would prob suffice but if outdoor stored or used everyday could see the benefit of a ceramic.

I think either option is fine but would recommend finding out how much time the paint requires before sealing/waxing or ceramic coating it.
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
ChasesDragons
Sponge Jockey

Thats a good point re off-gassing. It will probably get minimal use over winter but is stood outside, at least for a month.

All it will receive will be a standard buff before leaving the workshop. Is tis going to be enough for ceramic or should I have it professionally corrected and applied? I have no idea.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,851 Posts
Moved to the correct section
Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Thinking of pro refining body, minimal use over winter? Personally I would leave it for 3 months and then book it in with a pro. I'm old school and don't trust body shops who say the paint is fully sorted using modern techniques/paints. Sure there will be plenty of dissent but cars are quite hardy IMO.
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
Ultra
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I would opt for a basic glaze that'll offer something in the way of protection whilst allowing the paint to breath/cure, then have it corrected and coated next spring.
Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
big dave 666
Washmitt Meister

Why not get a half decent outside car cover not hugely expensive bearing in mind the amount you may have spent on a paint job. Will protect it from the elements over winter whilst standing esp if the paint is still soft.
With regard to applying a ceramic.... Well that depends on how your body shop "buffs" it. If they machine polish it but it's full of swirls then obviously these will need correcting, or, as stated above, if they're not and you do apply a coating, then you're just locking them in. I guess atm you need to see what state the paint is in when you have the car back?
big dave 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
ChasesDragons
Sponge Jockey

Spot on advice then.

If there is no challenge, I will glaze over xmas, take it in for a pro paint correct and somek8nd of protection to match the lacquer....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk