Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Daily News Zone Want to keep up with whats happening in the Automotive industry - Check back here daily. Sponsored by GyeonQuartz

Old 15-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 17,648 Times in 6,486 Posts
Garage
Indusrty News - DRIVER SHORTAGE - RHA SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT

There has been a lot of speculation in the media recently about the HGV driver shortage, the possibility of Christmas delay disasters, and post-Brexit supply chain disruption as a result. The RHA is therefore keen to set the record straight.

“The UK haulage industry is currently facing a shortage of between 45k and 50k HGV drivers and we as an industry need to face this challenge head-on”, said RHA chief executive Richard Burnett.

“And with a shortage of drivers across Europe, it’s vital that the sector does more to bring people into the industry.

“As part of its move to tackle this, the RHA has created, together with telematics provider Microlise, Road to Logistics – a national training programme developed to encourage new talent into the transport and logistics industry from all sections of society where individuals need help and support to regain self-confidence and independence. Road to Logistics will help companies to reduce the cost of recruiting new talent into their organisations.”

In addition the RHA, together with Close Brothers Asset Finance, has launched a scheme encouraging RHA members with less than 20 vehicles to apply for funding to recruit and train the next generation of HGV drivers. Close Brothers will help pay for 20 apprentices to learn their skills, meaning the signed up hauliers won’t have to bear the full cost of employing the apprentices until they are making a positive contribution to their business.

Richard Burnett continued: “Businesses are looking for improved funding and clarity on the licences that can be undertaken in the driver apprentice scheme. We need improved training schemes with greater flexibility over the access to the available funding especially for the smaller operator.

“The Brexit effect on the exchange rate has resulted in some Eastern European HGV drivers returning to their homelands. Operators have been reassuring drivers that there is a future working in the UK. With this, more certainty of residential rights, and an improved exchange rate, we are confident that the drift back home will reduce.”

Concluding, Richard Burnett said: “The road freight sector will continue to deliver the goods we all need, the supermarket shelves will not empty, but it’s vital for the good of the whole economy that we increase the availability of quality drivers.”
Old 15-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Franzpan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I don't know if it's just round this way but the roads here are chocker with learner lorries! I don't see how there can be a shortage of drivers round here at least.
Franzpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
minidaveo
Washmitt Meister

I can see in 10 years time all those hauliers will start using autonomous hgv’s what will happen to all those “new” young drivers!

Being 30-50 around that time will suck
minidaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minidaveo For This Useful Post:
ollienoclue (15-12-2017)
Old 15-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
ffrs1444

Garage
good for me when i leave the army with every driving Licence going but couldn't stand driving for a living always a good back up.
ffrs1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
ollienoclue

They have secretly been short of drivers for a fair few years.

Not my bag I'm afraid, most of the big simple stuff will be autonomous within 15 years anyway.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
mayhem85
Washmitt Meister

As a hgv driver myself, my opinion is the road infrastructure in the UK is far from desirable. With all the legislations within driving for a living, drivers hours, working time directive, driver CPC etc hgv driving is far from a straightforward job. There doesn't appear to be enough services, truck stops or even laybys for the volume of vehicles on the road currently. Thurrock for example has closed most of its laybys on most of its roads. Companies are always pushing for more and more and in general hgv driving isn't a well paid job, it cost me 3k in order to get my licences and CPC driver card. The job suits some people more than others, nights away from families and friends, sleeping in your cab etc isn't exactly a high quality of living. There are so many restrictions within driving and the law that I'm sure people are put off by driving jobs, and the other fact that no-one likes being stuck in traffic, to a hgv driver traffic jams can be the difference between making it home at the end of your shift and not. Sorry to have a rant but there is so much more to driving a hgv than alot of people realise, then they wonder why we are short on drivers.Ironically I like my job but I've been fortunate in where I work.
mayhem85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mayhem85 For This Useful Post:
clav604 (17-12-2017), davies20 (17-12-2017), fethead (18-12-2017), Smanderson117 (18-12-2017)
Old 17-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
wish wash

I always thought that this may be a job I wouldn't mind doing but in reality I would hate it. Driving to work is bad enough but doing all day with the standard of some drivers on the road would stress me out. With these new electric lorries that follow each other I think drivers will be required less and less. What's going to happen to mechanics when most cars are electric.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
davies20

As an ex HGV driver, I was 22 when I passed my class 2, then proceeded to do my class 1 (artic) a year later.

So I'd fall in to this 'next generation's driver. As previously mentioned on here, I took a £12,000 pay decrease to get out of the industry. Bare in mind that's after the 2.2k I paid to get my licence!

The job is simply horrendous, stupidly long days, full of stress on the road not knowing what the next idiot was going to do! Wait around ages to get loaded, then wait around to get unloaded. All this on top of being up stupidly early, purely to beat the traffic, home late & tired all the time!

I really miss driving my class 1, I loved the challenge of reversing her into places I knew would be tricky, but every other part of the job outweighs that.

I'm not defending all HGV drivers, some really are morons of the highest degree, in my current job I still deal with HGV drivers often and some boil my blood. But I ask if your reading this, please respect the HGV driver more - do a day in their shoes & you would understand how tricky the job is.

Thanks for reading!
davies20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,933 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidaveo View Post
I can see in 10 years time all those hauliers will start using autonomous hgv’s what will happen to all those “new” young drivers!

Being 30-50 around that time will suck
A mate of mine is a professor in autonomous robotics and one of the world’s leading experts on it. Met up with a few weeks back for a few beers when he was back in the UK and interestingly he said that he doesn’t reckon we will see fully autonomous vehicles in our lifetime (he’s 50). Was very interesting talking to him.

He admits that road vehicles aren’t his area, but he’s been on development demos and all sorts and reckons it is still a long way off.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
Darlofan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
A mate of mine is a professor in autonomous robotics and one of the world’s leading experts on it. Met up with a few weeks back for a few beers when he was back in the UK and interestingly he said that he doesn’t reckon we will see fully autonomous vehicles in our lifetime (he’s 50). Was very interesting talking to him.

He admits that road vehicles aren’t his area, but he’s been on development demos and all sorts and reckons it is still a long way off.

They promised me flying cars when I was a kid, I'm 48 next week and I'm still waiting. In fact in 30 yrs of driving not a great deal has changed!!
Darlofan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
Rundie (17-12-2017), Shiny (18-12-2017), Smanderson117 (18-12-2017)

Tags
hgv