Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 13-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
sunnydude959
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Leather Problem

I'm not an expert, but is that the top coat of the leather coming off in that region?

That region appears glossier than the rest of the dashboard.

Its only done 00067 miles and I only collected it this morning.... Its going back to the dealership tomorrow for them to have a look.

However it would be nice if I'm armed with some prior information.
sunnydude959 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydude959 For This Useful Post:
RICH2508 (17-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Dr Leather
Sponsor

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Leather
Photos can be deceptive, but it does look as though the topcoat is damaged. But I'm concerned to see so much colour difference, as typivcally in leather the majority of the colour comes from the basecoat, and topcoats are limited to 2-5% of pigment in them to maintain rubfastness resistance. But you are right to return it..... it would be interesting to see it under a microscope....

Rgds

Dr Leather

Dr Leather Ltd
E-mail: darryl@drleather.com
Dr Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Leather For This Useful Post:
sunnydude959 (23-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
sunnydude959
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Leather View Post
Photos can be deceptive, but it does look as though the topcoat is damaged. But I'm concerned to see so much colour difference, as typivcally in leather the majority of the colour comes from the basecoat, and topcoats are limited to 2-5% of pigment in them to maintain rubfastness resistance. But you are right to return it..... it would be interesting to see it under a microscope....

Rgds

Dr Leather

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. I think the photo is making the problem area look grey/lighter than the surrounding area, but if I were to take the photo from a different angle, the problem region actually appears darker/more black.

Anyway, if it is a damaged top coat, would it be an easy fix? Its definitely still under warranty being just 1 day old
Old 15-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Dr Leather
Sponsor

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Leather
It can be fixed, but it shouldn't be the case on a new vehicle. It should be right from the factory, and I would be asking for a replacement item fitted as you are going to be unsure if that piece of leather is defective across all the surface in some way.

Cheers

Dr Leather

Dr Leather Ltd
E-mail: darryl@drleather.com
Dr Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Leather For This Useful Post:
sunnydude959 (23-06-2018)
Old 23-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
sunnydude959
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Leather View Post
It can be fixed, but it shouldn't be the case on a new vehicle. It should be right from the factory, and I would be asking for a replacement item fitted as you are going to be unsure if that piece of leather is defective across all the surface in some way.

Cheers

Dr Leather
I've been driving my car around at night (where you get lots of light at different angles coming onto the dashboard from street lights, to oncoming traffic, to petrol station forecourts etc.) and to be honest, it looks as if its marginally more "satin" around the drivers' end of the dashboard in general (which is where this particular fault is) and quite a bit more matte on the passenger end of the dashboard.

I'm not a leather expert by any means but, if I were to guess, it is as if the top coat of the leather has been applied too thinly on the drivers' end of the dashboard at the factory.

I am currently in discussion with the supplying dealership about this problem. I will have a clearer picture next week hopefully.

Tags
leather