Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 12-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
Nick-ST
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Dakota Odour bomb would do the trick too FYI
Nick-ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #12
OldskoolRS
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I came across them when I was researching, but the thing that put me off Dakota is that they seem to have specific scents like 'Melon' and 'Vanilla' (the later being one of those car scents that makes me gag).
OldskoolRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #13
BlackBenz92
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldskoolRS View Post
I came across them when I was researching, but the thing that put me off Dakota is that they seem to have specific scents like 'Melon' and 'Vanilla' (the later being one of those car scents that makes me gag).
Any further updates on this? Looking to take care of the smoke smell in the mothers new to her 320d
BlackBenz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #14
benjcarter
Unwashed Member

You could try So2Pure. A few places sell it - spray it on all surfaces, quick wipe over and you're done. Works in the background over a few days and I've had good results with it. No real scent itself - just catalysing agents that destroy odours on surfaces. You can reapply every few weeks with minimal fuss.
benjcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #15
Croques
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldskoolRS View Post

Lesson learnt is that I should have made sure that the air con was set to recirculate after the 4 hour wait.
I think you are entirely too forgiving.

What about the scam of a test drive with the roof open?

. I road tested a new Volvo a couple of years ago. The reviews suggested the steering was a bit wobbly before the car had warmed up. What did the dealer do? He drove out of the forecourt to a car park some way away before we changed over. (Still caught the tail end of the 'wobble' though.)

And a Honda/Mazda dealership in Tunbridge Wells, (now closed), had two large canopies under which they parked the car for your viewing. The roofs of the canopies were frosted so all the light falling on the car was diffuse and poor at revealing paintwork defects.

You really have to have you wits about you. The sales guys are so smooth but you have to question everything that happens and find the reason for it. It really is a case of caveat emptor or you'll be royally screwed.

Last edited by cossiecol; 18-05-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Don’t dodge the swear filter
Croques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #16
OnTheRob
Unwashed Member

I bought my car about a year ago and I was far too naive, I noticed the cig smell but just thought that I could get rid of it. One year on, it's driving me insane and I contemplate selling the car daily.

All the things I've done at various times throughout the last year...

Replaced the pollen filter
Ran an ODOUR BOMB with the car running and AC on recirculate etc. Think it was an Auto Finesse one.
Hired a Rug Doctor from Morrisons and used it on all the carpets (inc boot), parcel shelf and headlining
Cleaned the seats multiple times with all manner of different leather cleaners such as Dr Leather and Angelwax.
Cleaned all the seatbelts and plastics with APC's and white vinegar
Poured a full tub of baking soda throughout the car and hoovered it up

It still smells. Not only does it smell, I get it on my fingers from the steering wheel and on the back of my shirts from the seats. If I leave a cloth or item of clothing in the car for a few days, they stink too.

At the end of my tether and cba anymore, can anyone recommend someone in the Manchester / North West area that could sort it?

Happy to pay now, don't care what they do as long as it's gone. Steam or Ozone or whatever is required.

I haven't tried that chlorine thing that the OP mentioned but I seriously doubt it'll work in mine, it's embedded absolutely everywhere.

Contemplating starting on the cigs again...

Could I do more and try more products? Yes. Do I have the energy or motivation left to do it? No.

Deflated! Shame cos I love the car and it's in great condition too.
OnTheRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
woodycivic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRob View Post
I bought my car about a year ago and I was far too naive, I noticed the cig smell but just thought that I could get rid of it. One year on, it's driving me insane and I contemplate selling the car daily.

All the things I've done at various times throughout the last year...

Replaced the pollen filter
Ran an ODOUR BOMB with the car running and AC on recirculate etc. Think it was an Auto Finesse one.
Hired a Rug Doctor from Morrisons and used it on all the carpets (inc boot), parcel shelf and headlining
Cleaned the seats multiple times with all manner of different leather cleaners such as Dr Leather and Angelwax.
Cleaned all the seatbelts and plastics with APC's and white vinegar
Poured a full tub of baking soda throughout the car and hoovered it up

It still smells. Not only does it smell, I get it on my fingers from the steering wheel and on the back of my shirts from the seats. If I leave a cloth or item of clothing in the car for a few days, they stink too.

At the end of my tether and cba anymore, can anyone recommend someone in the Manchester / North West area that could sort it?

Happy to pay now, don't care what they do as long as it's gone. Steam or Ozone or whatever is required.

I haven't tried that chlorine thing that the OP mentioned but I seriously doubt it'll work in mine, it's embedded absolutely everywhere.

Contemplating starting on the cigs again...

Could I do more and try more products? Yes. Do I have the energy or motivation left to do it? No.

Deflated! Shame cos I love the car and it's in great condition too.
I recently bought a new car and am trying to get the 'old man' / 'smoke' smell out of it. Its not obvious its tobacco at first so im sure its a combination of both.

Ive given the interior a real good clean with all sorts and there certainly wasnt any yellowy gunk or anything to come out so i think mine is quite minimal compared to some. I've also used the Meguiars air con bomb which seems to have helped too. Its either been smoked in only now and again or has had a really good clean at some point recently.

Anyway, there is still a slight undertone of the smell so im considering paying for a good valet/steam clean to help as the seats and headlining are the 2 areas I havent done very deeply as i dont have the tools or, when it comes to the headlining, the guts to do anything in fear of causing issues with the glue and it sagging!

There is a company only a few miles from me and not too far from you (Bradford) if your in Manchester that might be worth contacting:

http://bespokevaletingsolutions.co.uk/how-we-do-it/

When you look at the website there is a page about odour elimination and using an Amoratek machine which apparantly is the muts nuts. Given the cars they valet/detail (Ferrari, Porsche) too i'd expect them to be very thorough and professional.
woodycivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #18
garycha
PC Perfectionist

I use a plate ozone generator from Amazon 60 quidditch for car and home. With great results. Ozone neutralises the bacteria that cause odors. Some caution to vacate spaces and air afterwards.

Used on daughters car, after someone smoked. Also used in house post party to freshen air.
Leaves slight chlorine smell tha reminds me of hospital, but that goes.

Hotels, crime scene clear ups etc use these commercially.

Good investment for home though.
Great on student bedrooms too...
garycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
enc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Remember going to view an A3 At an indidependant car dealers before I bought mine. As I opened the door I was hit by te overpowering scent of air freshners. There was st least five hung in the car .. Christ knows what odours they were were trying to conceal ! Needles to say I walked away.
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #20
OldskoolRS
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBenz92 View Post
Any further updates on this? Looking to take care of the smoke smell in the mothers new to her 320d
I gave it another treatment with a second Airvidox kit and got the air con recirculate set correctly this time: Seems to have done the trick now, plus lots of roof down motoring in the nice weather, plus a long motorway journey visiting relatives over last bank holiday weekend.

I didn't want to mask the smell, so I'm glad it just smells 'neutral' now.

I don't buy a 'new' car very often because I have a company car for work, so we hadn't changed my wife's car for 7 years...I guess that puts me out of practice for the salesman's tricks. I still feel we got a good deal buying it when we did in bad weather and the end of the month, so overall I'm happy. Still, the car we traded in had a few 'ticking time bombs' so to speak, so it's not like I'm an angel.
OldskoolRS is offline   Reply With Quote