Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
wotnoshoeseh
Unwashed Member

AG Glass Polish, then Rai-X

Hi all,

I have some AG Glass Polish, but had not used this previously on windscreens, as I thought it might smear etc.

I have now used it on my windscreen, but wanted to know is it ok to apply Rain X on top of this?
Or will it become one horrible smeary mess?

Cheers,
D
wotnoshoeseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Autoglym
Autoglym HQ

Thanked 1,675 Times in 863 Posts
Hi,

Car Glass Polish will not smear when used according to the instructions, one of the most important things a glass cleaner has to do is, well, leave clean smear free glass! Or it is a glass "dirtier" not a glass cleaner.

As for using RainX on top, we haven't tried this, so don't know. However, Car Glass Polish will not leave a film or coating on the glass, it leaves it perfectly clean, so there shouldn't be anything left on the surface to interfere with how the RainX adheres to the glass.

Winner Detailing World Polish of The Year 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
wotnoshoeseh
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoglym View Post
Hi,

Car Glass Polish will not smear when used according to the instructions, one of the most important things a glass cleaner has to do is, well, leave clean smear free glass! Or it is a glass "dirtier" not a glass cleaner.

As for using RainX on top, we haven't tried this, so don't know. However, Car Glass Polish will not leave a film or coating on the glass, it leaves it perfectly clean, so there shouldn't be anything left on the surface to interfere with how the RainX adheres to the glass.
Perfect - thanks!!
I'll give it a lash and see how it goes then.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
deejayh
Unwashed Member

Hi,

Just to add to this thread - I love AG car glass polish. I have tried a few but for me it has proven to be the most effective. It needs a bit of effort to polish in and buff off, but for me it remains my go-to glass cleaner and polisher.

I used to use RainX on top of AGP - and that works ok, but for me now, I much prefer the Gtechniq G1 glass coating as it lasts MUCH longer and can be rejuvenated with the right wash. For that, just to be sure of great bonding, I wipe the glass down after AGP with a product like Car Pro Eraser beforehand.

On occasion I have also clayed the windscreen before using AGP - but I've never quite worked out if that helps or not.

deejayh
deejayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
wotnoshoeseh
Unwashed Member

I actually have some RainX, so once that's used up I'll maybe try something different at that stage.
Thanks.
Old 14-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
wotnoshoeseh
Unwashed Member

I did use this and yesterday it rained . Nice to see the rain droplets running off the screen without wipers, but.....

The Rain X doesn't seem to last, and could almost do with another application.
Not what I am used to with Rain X.

I'll use what I have but would like to know of some alternatives please....
Old 14-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
neilmcl
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

As an alternative to RainX you could try Anglewax h2go, that always gets good reviews.
neilmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
youngwangie
Washmitt Meister

I use WOW'S Crystal SEALANT on all my window's. After using Autoglym Glass Polish, works great for me
youngwangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
PoweredbyJenga
Unwashed Member

Garage
You can use rain x or similar on car glass that you have applied glass polish. Just di a quick wipe down with sone thing like car pro Erazer or even with AG glass cleaner.
Side topic, rain x never lasted long for me. I get about 2 wks on "yes i can tell the difference" then another 2 wks of "i can still spot the difference" but after that i need to reapply. I do 1 good coat and let it haze up a bit before taking off with mf and sometimes few water drops on tough smears.
Try experimenting with different rain repellants, most are silicon based but there are plenty. I frequently put a "new" set of 3 different brands to see how they behave. Simply divide the front windscreen into 4 strips and apply the 3 products side by side with 4th one being a control strip.
Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
PoweredbyJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,613 Times in 1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotnoshoeseh View Post
I actually have some RainX, so once that's used up I'll maybe try something different at that stage.
Thanks.

When I last used Rain-x, I applied 2 coats and it certainly improved it.

Used it on windscreen - never again, was wonderful for beading and water running off, but despite everything I could try, I got horrendous wiper judder.

Tried other males and still don’t use on windscreen, just make sure the windscreen is clean and free from grease etc if you are going to try...
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote