Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 19-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Good heavy cut compound

Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations on heavy cut compounds to try.

I've been using D300 with the Megs microfibre cutting pads and it's working well enough, but I don't have a lot of time to spend detailing due to having a young child, so I'm looking for a compound that can get rid of swirls and RDS more quickly, in less passes.

The car I currently have is swirled to high hell from previous owners visiting car washes and Eastern European hand washes, some of which is quite deep.

I recently tried Scholl's new SHOCK2CUT, which pulled all the lightest swirls and hazing out in the first hit, but even after a few more hits there's still quite a lot of deeper marks. I also tried CarPro ClearCut, but didn't notice it being any quicker than D300 (though I did only use it on a foam pad, so trying it on microfibre pads might be worth a shot).

Is there anything more aggressive then SHOCK2CUT that still finishes down decently enough to be finished off with M205? Obviously using anything that doesn't finish down well is going to add an extra step, which then negates the point of using a more aggressive compound in the first place.

The car is a "Jatoba Brown" BMW 3 series. (Not my choice of colour!) The paint seems pretty hard.

TIA
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Sam6er

Im sure more experienced members will chime in but i really like sonax cutmax. Detailing Kingdom 1.1 gets alot of good reviews especially from stangalang.

if your short of time, maybe an AIO is better for you? I really like Britemax Virtue, little expensive but it cuts, fill and protects for upto 6 months and can be followed up with a sealant as virtue provides a good base to add something on top to topup protection. Iv used this on a fair few cars including a BMW 3 series in black with very good results using a DA.
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam6er For This Useful Post:
MBRuss (19-10-2018)
Old 19-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
MBRuss

Yeah, I've got a few AIO products (AF Tripple and CarPro Essence), but would like to remove the scratches more permanently on this car. I may follow up with an AIO after I've pulled the worst of them out, just to fill the remainder, but would like something that works quick on hard paints to get rid of the majority of scratches and swirls.

I have a PTG to monitor the rate of removal, so I'm not worried about over doing it.

I was considering Koch Chemie H8.02, but I'm not sure if that's even as aggressive as the products I'm already using.
Old 19-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Fentum

Thanked 1,519 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRuss View Post
Yeah, I've got a few AIO products (AF Tripple and CarPro Essence), but would like to remove the scratches more permanently on this car. I may follow up with an AIO after I've pulled the worst of them out, just to fill the remainder, but would like something that works quick on hard paints to get rid of the majority of scratches and swirls.

I have a PTG to monitor the rate of removal, so I'm not worried about over doing it.

I was considering Koch Chemie H8.02, but I'm not sure if that's even as aggressive as the products I'm already using.
To be fair, I've never had a job requiring a heavy cut that H8.02 can't deal with, but bear in mind that it is designed to be used as part of a package with the milder KC polishes and the KC anti-hologram stuff (which I think is the dog's danglies of such products).

My experience is that DK 1.1 is also as good as Stangalang says and is almost a one stager.

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fentum For This Useful Post:
MBRuss (19-10-2018)
Old 19-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
MBRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
To be fair, I've never had a job requiring a heavy cut that H8.02 can't deal with, but bear in mind that it is designed to be used as part of a package with the milder KC polishes and the KC anti-hologram stuff (which I think is the dog's danglies of such products).

My experience is that DK 1.1 is also as good as Stangalang says and is almost a one stager.

Peter
Surely though, whatever it leaves behind any finishing polish can clear up? I don't see why companies say you have to use their products as a package, as you're really just buffing away scratches...

It's not like the compound is going to leave behind a special marring that only their polish can remove. I guess maybe it could leave behind polishing oils which may upset some finishing polishes, but you just do a wipe down between compounding and polishing if that's the case, I suppose.

I may try DK 1.1 though, or Sonax CutMax. Both claim low dusting and seem to finish down very well.
Old 20-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,795 Times in 2,920 Posts
Garage
I can vouch for DK 1.1 I've been using it on rock hard paints to soft paints and it's always corrected what I needed it to do

On Meguairs MF cutting pads it works perfectly with no dusting and on hard paints it can nearly finish down LSP ready, but I always use a finishing polish to ensure it's to my my standard plus it has plenty of lubrication which helps keep the temperature down especially when working with MF pads
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
MBRuss

Thanks guys. I got some Sonax Cutmax to try because it was available on Amazon Prime. Tried that today and I like it. Compared to Scholl SHOCK2CUT there's no dusting at all and it's an easy product to see as you work it, although it's hard to see on an MF pad because the Cutmax is white.

It's also not the easiest to wipe offz because it seems to be quite oily.

I'll grab some DK 1.1 as well and see what I think of that. Is it worth me getting their finishing polish as well? I notice In2Detailing do a twin pack. Or am I better off getting a bigger bottle of 1.1 and finishing with my usual M205?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 20-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,795 Times in 2,920 Posts
Garage
Their final finishing polish is another great polish from them
Get it and try it out and see what you think.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
MBRuss (21-10-2018)
Old 27-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
martec06
Sponge Jockey

If u want more cut, then use a whool pad.
But u can not get extreme cut and finish in one step.

Sendt fra min CLT-L29 med Tapatalk
martec06 is offline   Reply With Quote