Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Painting/Spraying & Bodywork
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Painting/Spraying & Bodywork All topics relating to vehicle repair bodywork and painting, respraying etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
a13x
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Defects/oxidation in paint help

My Maserati has what I first presumed was oxidation to the aluminium panels but I am now not so sure. There are places on the car and with my Land Rover where there is corrosion but this does not look like it. Below is a photo of what I am talking about.

In numerous places around the car are these marks in the paint/clear coat and I am hoping they can be removed somehow? They are not uniform in pattern and hopefully the image helps as it’s very difficult to capture on a camera.

Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E213FA8D-F64C-4016-8013-A6538C2E3ED5.jpg (11.8 KB, 51 views)
a13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Sharpyyyyy
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 9
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Pictures aren't clear, top looks like a mini burn through (possibly). Any chance of more pictures?
Sharpyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
a13x
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://ibb.co/gqHRRL

Linked it on a hosting site. Terrible at getting them on a forum since photobucket!

Nothing has burned through the clearcoat. It’s like some odd reaction but I was hoping it may be resolved by polishing/sanding the top clearcoat if I could work out what has gone on... photos don’t help much and very difficult to photograph but will try and take some more.
a13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
WristyManchego
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 125
Thanks: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Chemical staining usually from bird poo.

Can be fixed, method depends on paint system.

Possible to use a hairdryer with self-healing clear coats, don’t go wet sanding unless you’ve got experience and a paint depth gauge.

If the staining isn’t too deep, regular polishing will get it out.
WristyManchego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #5
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,813
Thanks: 5,897
Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,921 Posts
Garage
That looks like wrinkle Etching the more serious etching where the area has been heated by the sun then cooled off by the evening temperature.

It expands and contracts causing these marks deep in the clear coat and that's when that area will probably need new paint. I hope am wrong but I've come across this before and no matter how much you compound it or wet sand it, it's probably very close to the paint colour.

You could try a compound and see but it's very unlikely it will resolve the problem. Now that's only going on what I can see in the photos
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
SamD
PC Perfectionist
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 307
Thanks: 57
Thanked 162 Times in 96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
That looks like wrinkle Etching the more serious etching where the area has been heated by the sun then cooled off by the evening temperature.

It expands and contracts causing these marks deep in the clear coat and that's when that area will probably need new paint. I hope am wrong but I've come across this before and no matter how much you compound it or wet sand it, it's probably very close to the paint colour.

You could try a compound and see but it's very unlikely it will resolve the problem. Now that's only going on what I can see in the photos
Had this on my Mercedes it had a full respray to resolve the issue. 6 months later it came back
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
a13x
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. What makes it odd is that it is smooth to the touch and that it is in numerous areas of the car, some lower on the door where you wouldn’t expect normal etching or even the sun to have an affect.

I think I will have to take it to an experience body shop as I cannot get any clearer photos. In some angles it is there and in others almost impossible to see. Very odd!
a13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,813
Thanks: 5,897
Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,921 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a13x View Post
Thanks all. What makes it odd is that it is smooth to the touch and that it is in numerous areas of the car, some lower on the door where you wouldn’t expect normal etching or even the sun to have an affect.

I think I will have to take it to an experience body shop as I cannot get any clearer photos. In some angles it is there and in others almost impossible to see. Very odd!
Then has it had paint in its past??
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
a13x
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has had a panel painted but not on these areas. Could it be from being in the booth?
a13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,813
Thanks: 5,897
Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,921 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a13x View Post
It has had a panel painted but not on these areas. Could it be from being in the booth?
TBH it's hard to say but if you can take it to your nearest professional Detailer and ask if he could help in anyway if you take it straight to a body shop they will just probably say it needs a respray
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors