Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #121
Phil H
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxrmarc View Post
I have just read this whole thread through and am now looking for an answer with regards to the marketing and exact nature of this product...I have lime prime and i have hd cleanse and cleaner fluid.......My full understanding on lp is that it is exactly the same product as hd cleanse a direct comparison and competitor with the same properties to wipe the panel , remove to leave a nice wet finish ready for a lsp??? Am i incorrect here as i always advise friends / forum members etc with products that are easy to use and have advised lp simply on price over hd cleanse etc......What concerns me now is that this product is clearly not what i presumed as these guys are not avid detailers and are used to products like aytoglymm and would not even understand that products need to be broken down and if so why is lp hailed as a paintwork cleanser if it has abrasives that need to be broken down to full work even on soft panels which really shouldnt matter becuase it should be safe on whatever we put it on...?? A, i wrong here??
Exaclty what i thought before i bought it. I was under the impression it was like HD-C and therefore treated it like HD-C

As Gary from RR said he has used it a lot with excellent results and i've heard great things about it which is why i dont want to give up on it.

oh and i did a CD test the other day (maybe not the best test to do) but the DODO again scratched the cd
Old 09-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #122
adb
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie_Clean View Post
Do you have either of the Megs DC1 or Easy Creme Glaze To try on your test panel using the same process - immediately after machining? This whole thread intrigues me!

Yes - as per one of my previous posts on this thread - i polished with 106ff to get rid of swirls and then applied LP to find swirls had appeared. To test my polishing i then re-polished with 106ff and then applied DC1 in place of LP to find no swirls had been caused. i then applied LP to find swirls again. I then applied LP via the PC on a 4" finishing pad to find this removed/reduced the swirls earlier imparted. That's why i settled o the conclusion that perhaps it needs machine application???

Interestingly enough, i've just been out in the garage doing some more testing. The bonnet of my VR6 has picked up the innevitable few light swirls from washing (despite polishing earlier in the year). I had however, LP'ed the whole car by hand a month or so ago in order to get some collinite on for winter.

The swirls:

After an application of LP via PC on a 4" SFX2 (white) pad - spread on 3, worked on 6 until clear:

Another before:

And another after:

Some more afters:

As you can see, the LP did a pretty good job or removing the very light swirling present (plus left a beautiful finish).

I think this test probably illustrates the abilities of the abbraisives present in this product.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #123
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,873 Posts
watching this keenly, as I hoped to ditch HDC for something easier to use and cheaper. Seems odd that only a couple of people have noticed anything, although I seem to remember the initial tests mentioned light swirl removal?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #124
Phil H
Distinguished Detailer

@ adb

so you got a swirl free finish from just LP but previous tests you have had swirls from LP.

TBH i cant use a pre-wax cleaner thats very fussy on the surface i apply it too. Thats how i'm starting to see Lime Prime
Old 09-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #125
adb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil H View Post
@ adb

so you got a swirl free finish from just LP but previous tests you have had swirls from LP.

TBH i cant use a pre-wax cleaner thats very fussy on the surface i apply it too. Thats how i'm starting to see Lime Prime
Not when applied by machine though - the swirls from LP came when i applied by hand - when i followed this with a machine app it removed/reduced them. I think it's all down to the work time of the LP.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #126
Wheelie_Clean

Garage
Well done adb and thanks for the effort you put in to testing and sharing the results
Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #127
Paul-T
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post
My test panel was a BMW door - pretty hard paint IMO. I think it may have been down to using straight after machine polishing - perhaps the paint was warm and therefore may have softened??? It wasn't ordinary macine polishing either - as it is a test panel i had just given it several hits with several different combo's - much more than you would do to a panel that "mattered".
The paint won't have been softened, otherwise it would go soft when left in the sun all day during the summer.

Wheelie-Clean, I find that you've had the same issues with EZ Creme Glaze and DC1 very strange indeed. I use a lot of EZ Creme, its just a glaze, I've never seen it leave marks (and I always check after each process, more to check a contaminated cloth hasn't caused marring etc). I think the issue is more likely a paint one there, or the applicator, than the products you mention.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #128
theDodo
The Wookie

i want to assure you all that we are going to inspect the bottle in question and have in no way left this hanging. a replacement bottle will be going out to phil next week and we are expecting the 'bottle in question' back.

i promise that we will undertake a number of tests to analyse where the swirls are coming from. i can say, that in the formulation and creation of Lime Prime we did extensive testing and had a large test panel of detailers do their worst to evaluate the product and give us results. we would not release a product if we had any suspicion at all that the product was not safe to use.

Lime Prime has been compared to other products by other manufacturers and this is because of the nature of the product, Dodo Juice does not refer to any of our products as direct replacements to competitors products, specifically.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #129
Epoch
Distinguished Detailer

In the test above could the glazing oils etc in the LP not be filling the swirls and even the finishing pad used would have some bite to it!

Not trying to be difficult just interested, as i have some LP and haven't seen any swirling to date by hand or PC
Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #130
Wheelie_Clean

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Hollis View Post
The paint won't have been softened, otherwise it would go soft when left in the sun all day during the summer.

Wheelie-Clean, I find that you've had the same issues with EZ Creme Glaze and DC1 very strange indeed. I use a lot of EZ Creme, its just a glaze, I've never seen it leave marks (and I always check after each process, more to check a contaminated cloth hasn't caused marring etc). I think the issue is more likely a paint one there, or the applicator, than the products you mention.
You are 100% correct. In my case (with the limo's) it is due to the paint. It is the softest I have ever come across, so soft that I think there was either a faulty batch of clear coat or incorrect application/baking at the coach builders. I have had no problem at all with the other cars I have machined, cleansed, glazed sealed and/or waxed. (Mondeo, Vectra, Rav4, Fiesta, Vitara, Kia etc)

This is why I thought Phil H's findings must be due to soft paint. adb's findings with the BMW door, cast doubt on that theory though.
Closed Thread