Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #31
Jakedoodles
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Drop PJ a mail. He emailed me this morning. He's on thedodo@dodojuice.com
Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #32
tdm
PC Perfectionist

well i recieved a bottle of lime prime over the weekend and tried it out on a car today and was very impressed, definatly didnt see any swirling as aresult of using it and i did check carefuly.

then i saw this thread and thought i would test it myself on a scrap panel, i too tested it against hd cleanse. i applied them both in the same manner, other than i worked the lp longer to break down the abrasives. i used the same applicator and cloth to buff off.

under the halogen lp had definatly left some swirling but hdc looked fine. under a diferent light they had both left swirling but hdc to a lesser degree. now some of this is definatly down to a dirty mf ect, but the lp was worse.

now my test was hardly scientific, but i do feel its worth looking into by those using this product.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #33
richie.guy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hmm, i may try this at the weekend to see what i think.

Only used it on wheels thus far.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #34
Phil H
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm View Post
well i recieved a bottle of lime prime over the weekend and tried it out on a car today and was very impressed, definatly didnt see any swirling as aresult of using it and i did check carefuly.

then i saw this thread and thought i would test it myself on a scrap panel, i too tested it against hd cleanse. i applied them both in the same manner, other than i worked the lp longer to break down the abrasives. i used the same applicator and cloth to buff off.

under the halogen lp had definatly left some swirling but hdc looked fine. under a diferent light they had both left swirling but hdc to a lesser degree. now some of this is definatly down to a dirty mf ect, but the lp was worse.

now my test was hardly scientific, but i do feel its worth looking into by those using this product.

interesting...how did you apply both products? hand or machine? in some ways i'm glad you got swirling as it may not just be me.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #35
Coxy914
The Audi Guru

Thanked 1,001 Times in 390 Posts
Garage
From what I know (and what Gary has said), the Lime Prime has micro abrasives and needs to be worked more for them to break down. I've used Lime prime on everything from hard Audi/BMW paint to soft Yankee Ford paint. I did notice a similar finish when I was doing a black mustang the other week so I carried on working the Lime Prime till the micro abrasives had broken down and was left with a mirror finish ready for wax.
My personal thought is that the micro abrasives haven't broken down by the time you are wiping off with an MF.
I've done about 30 cars with Lime Prime and get excellent results. So much so, that I don't even bother with the HD cleanse any more.
Also, how much of the product are you using?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 PM   #36
Frank
PC Perfectionist

Send a message via MSN to Frank
I've used Lime Prime on both Honda(Champ White) and Merc(Silver) paint with stunning results!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #37
tdm
PC Perfectionist

i applied both by hand, i tried both a foam applicator and a mf pad, the mf seemed to give much better results, though still a little swirly. im sure lime prime is a very good product, just so far i cant get it to work how i think it should.

with regards to the micro abrasive thing, i gave the lime prime a pretty good workout when i tried it on the test panel. must have worked it 5x more than hd cleanse and still had swirls. if i have to do any more than that i dont think i would bother to use it to do a whole car.

Last edited by tdm; 04-12-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #38
Phil H
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy914 View Post
From what I know (and what Gary has said), the Lime Prime has micro abrasives and needs to be worked more for them to break down. I've used Lime prime on everything from hard Audi/BMW paint to soft Yankee Ford paint. I did notice a similar finish when I was doing a black mustang the other week so I carried on working the Lime Prime till the micro abrasives had broken down and was left with a mirror finish ready for wax.
My personal thought is that the micro abrasives haven't broken down by the time you are wiping off with an MF.
I've done about 30 cars with Lime Prime and get excellent results. So much so, that I don't even bother with the HD cleanse any more.
Also, how much of the product are you using?
I see what your saying about it possibly not breaking down enough. This i will be trying when i get time.

I'm treating it like a pre wax cleaner, like HD-C as this is what i normally use on details by apllying it by hand. Maybe LP should only be applied via machine wether it be PC or rotary i dont mind either way but maybe the instructions should say apply by machine only so it can be broken down properly?

i'm not using much at all when applying
Old 04-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #39
Phil H
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I've used Lime Prime on both Honda(Champ White) and Merc(Silver) paint with stunning results!
was that by hand or machine?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 AM   #40
Coxy914
The Audi Guru

Thanked 1,001 Times in 390 Posts
Garage
I look at LP as being different a different product entirely to HD and thus cannot be treated the same. I use LP by machine and that way I have found it a very easy product to work with.
I suppose it's like with many products, it's just a case of getting used to how each one works. Personally, I couldn't get on with HD cleanse at first, until some chap at Zym01 gave me a couple of handy tips on how to get best results. Now, if I were to use HD, I spritz my pad with some deionised water. That's just how I do it. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's that way which gave me the best results.
Closed Thread