Detailing World Forum banner

Original 1995 Mini Cooper: Gleammachine-Essex based professional.

34K views 43 replies 37 participants last post by  ibiza55 
#1 ·

I was recently graced with this rather special commission, a 1995 Mini Cooper with original paint and a mere 488 miles on the clock from new.
Having been parked up in a garage for many years, with various covers over it, the car was an outstanding find for my client, all rubbers and trim in tact with just the rear silencer box needing replacement, no doubt rotting from moisture within.
Where the car had been covered, it had left its mark on the paintwork, and evidence of someone attempting some hand polishing with good old T-Cut or alike.
The paint depth readings were all healthy and averaging 140 um, being mindful of the originality of the car, a sympathetic approach was taken to the machine polishing side and clearcoat removal was kept to a minimum whilst removing a good 90% of the defects, and restoring the paintworks gloss and clarity.

Typical defects below with some before and after comparisons.

A brief comparison video.

The machine polishing was completed over the course of several days, followed by:

*Paintwork primed using Carpro Essence.
*layer of Britemax Vantage & then a further layer of Zymol Atlantique.
*Rubbers and plastics treated with Gyeon Tire.
*Britework polished with Mothers metal polishes.
*Alloys sealed using Collinite Insulator wax.
*Finally a wipedown with Koch Chemie Quick Detailer.

Finished Results.

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed and appreciated.:thumb:

See less See more
#30 ·
Great job there Rob it looks stunning as others have said probably better than when it left the factory.

The Tahiti blue looks stunning and I prefer the body coloured roof rather than white it makes it that bit different.

Was there not anything needing done with the interior it would have been nice to see some interior shots I love the retro look of cars of that era :thumb:

#32 ·
Thanks Scott, really enjoy working on these, make for a nice challenge and plenty of interesting curves and areas to tackle. Look forward to seeing the Morris next year :thumb:

Fantastic job and what a lovely colour!
Thanks mate.

WOW Great job
Nice job. Rare find that one
awesome work Rob!
Do love the old school minis
Awesome!I loved!
Top job that Rob
Thanks Guys.:thumb:

Great job there Rob it looks stunning as others have said probably better than when it left the factory.

The Tahiti blue looks stunning and I prefer the body coloured roof rather than white it makes it that bit different.

Was there not anything needing done with the interior it would have been nice to see some interior shots I love the retro look of cars of that era :thumb:
Thanks Macca, the interior was unbelievably "as new" so little work was required in that area.

#36 ·
Thanks mate.

488 miles..... thats crazy!

Brilliant job.... i bet thats worth a fair bit too!
Thanks mate, I've no doubt this will only go up in price with the mileage and originality.

Looks awesome! What a lovely original example.
A true time warp moment detailing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.