Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Toyota Avensis T27 Tourer Project

After lots of looking, negotiating with the boss, and various conversations with private sellers, dealers and several visits to the auction, I have bought this as a second car to spread the load from my Lexus GS450h, use for ďmessierĒ stuff, work, and for our imminently arriving puppy (tomorrow )

Here it is look at itís best

8 years 10 months old, 10 weeks MOT left, 114,000 miles, superb MOT history but, as a trade in with non dealer history sold at auction, the service book is of course missing but I can see various stickers etc in the car indicating servicing at an independent. Itís pretty scruffy in quite a few places, so will need a good amount of work inside and out. I also specifically bought a bottom of the range car, and petrol, to limit costly issues with electronics or diesel stuff - but itís a Toyota so will need to be unlucky for big bills. Also has an exhaust break/blow to, the clutch is high but working fine and the air con is not really cold at all. It has 4 different budget tyres, scrapes and scuffs, is filthy and stinks as itís had dogs in it and ash in the ashtray!

I have many plans for the car but here are some pics to get you started of what lies ahead:

You get the idea

Thatís some of the worst parts of the car, but other aspects are very good, there is not real bodywork damage and looks like it has never had paint. The paint quality is really excellent metallic and just needs a lot of the TLC itís obviously been missing recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
Cookies (08-08-2018), Jmax (08-08-2018), JR1982 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Jmax

Garage
Looking forward to seeing how you pull the car back into shape (not that it looks like it needs a massive lot done).
Jmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmax For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
percymon

Garage
Well its a Toyota so it should be pretty reliable.

A lot of the issues are cosmetic chip repairs or just dirtiness from previous owners - a good deep clean and it'll look and smell a different car.

Hopefully you can get some service history out of Toyota, and then chase the stickered garages / previous owner for info.
percymon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
Jmax (08-08-2018), wrxmania (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
wrxmania

Garage
I have lots of plans for the car.

Firstly yesterday I took it to a local garage, who had a look underneath for the blow but, as it was on the ground and they had no ramp, inconclusive!

So, back first thing this morning, up in the air and the central pipe has sheared off of the main front cat and itís all one unit. New cat/centre needed, which would cost a fortune, so after more than an hours work on the car, they welded the whole section back into place and made sure it was sitting correctly.

Total cost - £85.

Result!

After much research into the nights,eBay and Amazon plundering, online forums and speaking to people, I have so far bought:

Phone holder (Kenu Airframe + in all the cars)

Genuine tailored Toyota Mats (£49 - should be around £85)

501 LEDS for all the courtesy lights in the car and number plate lights

286 capless bulbs as the cigarette lighter and ashtray light is out so needs that part of the dash stripped

An integrated Bluetooth audio and hands free calling system (the head unit is basically plug and play from the Cd changer port) - dash dismantling for this one too

Also ordered a USB/Aux input extension plate and cable (which goes on Bluetooth unit) to run USB power for my phone to under the dash

New number plates (the cars only ever MOT advisory is for the peeling rear number plate)

Genuine Toyota Gearknob Chrome Top (you can see the mess of the gearknob - it should have print and a chrome trim) - bargain £5.99(should be £16)

Genuine Toyota Cup Holder insert/coin holder - Bargain £8.99 (should be £20)

Managed a bargain, negotiating online for this beast (£200 from Toyota!). I am sending shipping label and a total cost of less than £25!!

I need to now get a centre console lid & inserts as thatís missing (and aggravating) - may need to buy the whole console from a scrap place online

I am also going to install a reversing camera as itís enormous!!

Scotch guard for all of the interior once it is cleaned and steam cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and fumigated inside and cleaned etc

It needs a bolt to hold the spare wheel down as that has snapped in itís holder!

Possible others include new steering wheel (leather) as there is a chance cruise control is plug and play on this car!

The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
Jmax (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
percymon

Garage
And check for any recalls, esp for air bags
percymon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
wrxmania

Garage
Itís going to be smart repaired outside for the paint scrapes by a friend of mine once we can get a suitable date/time as he is so busy

It obviously needs a tonne of cleaning and tidying, and getting underneath to rust treat the sub frame but otherwise itís decent underneath

Itís going in on Tuesday to get a full 99 point inspection, alongside an oil/filter Change, fuel filter, spark plugs (Iridium), coolant flush and change, and engine flush too. Should hopefully come back ready for the road and with a clean bill of health.

Next up - visit to Mr T. for a few bits including air filter, cabin air con filter, spare wheel bolt, touch up paint, and a blank service book to start getting this car back to some history!

I am also going to actually write a letter to the previous owner as his number is nowhere to be searched.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
wrxmania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
And check for any recalls, esp for air bags

Thanks - done that at the auction. No recalls.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
wrxmania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
Looking forward to seeing how you pull the car back into shape (not that it looks like it needs a massive lot done).

Itís actually pretty decent, just a bit unloved. Overall, itís going to pan out fine and will be worth the auction gamble. Other traders were bidding against me so it must have been of some worth to them.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
wrxmania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Well its a Toyota so it should be pretty reliable.

A lot of the issues are cosmetic chip repairs or just dirtiness from previous owners - a good deep clean and it'll look and smell a different car.

Hopefully you can get some service history out of Toyota, and then chase the stickered garages / previous owner for info.

Got some service history up until it was 4 at Toyota, but all their mileageís are the same 28,100 - include the pre-sale check, warranty work etc!

I am going to try them in person.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
wrxmania

Garage
(Oh also managed to get a genuine rubber boot liner on the bay for £32 delivered!)