Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 18-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #61
footfistart
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Headlamp dip beam failure message again. Itís a bad connection. The casing with protects and holds the crimped connectors is so brittle it just comes apart so need to source two of those. They are working again now. Dam thing haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
footfistart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #62
percymon

Garage
Any updates ?
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
footfistart (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:00 AM   #63
footfistart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Any updates ?

Yeah update.......

Bad luck strikes again.

Car has developed a bad misfire from cylinder one....... when HOT???? Cold it runs fine but as soon as it gets hot it misses.
So I Moved plugs around and fault didnít move. You could see that it wasnít firing but unfortunately didnít move the fault. Moved the plugs back and moved coils. Unplugged cylinder one and engine tone didnít change. Did two through five and they did. Strange

Moved coils around and unplugged them again and nothing. Did a compression with hot engine and compression is normal.

Might be wiring. One if the coil boots is damaged but thatís on a different cylinder.

Saw a video on YouTube that the cylinder could be running lean and to find out was squirt some water around the intake on that cylinder one intake manifold and see if the engine tone changes. But this is happening when hot.

Itís getting to the point now when Iím lo king at the option of getting rid. Still loosing coolant too and I donít have a warped or bad head/gasket. Coolant system stays pressurised all night. Changed cap with no success.

Ryan

Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #64
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,723 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfistart View Post
Yeah update.......

Bad luck strikes again.

Car has developed a bad misfire from cylinder one....... when HOT???? Cold it runs fine but as soon as it gets hot it misses.
So I Moved plugs around and fault didnít move. You could see that it wasnít firing but unfortunately didnít move the fault. Moved the plugs back and moved coils. Unplugged cylinder one and engine tone didnít change. Did two through five and they did. Strange

Moved coils around and unplugged them again and nothing. Did a compression with hot engine and compression is normal.

Might be wiring. One if the coil boots is damaged but thatís on a different cylinder.

Saw a video on YouTube that the cylinder could be running lean and to find out was squirt some water around the intake on that cylinder one intake manifold and see if the engine tone changes. But this is happening when hot.

Itís getting to the point now when Iím lo king at the option of getting rid. Still loosing coolant too and I donít have a warped or bad head/gasket. Coolant system stays pressurised all night. Changed cap with no success.

Ryan

Oh bloody hell

Some cars like to put up a fight. Trust me I've had it recently with a Focus.

Ref coolant loss. It has to be going somewhere obviously as you know. I'd be checking all the suspect places first, thermostat housing, waterpump etc, I know you've had work done and it's very easy for something not be nipped or a gasket pinched etc, what rate is the coolant loss?

Also is this Auto sorry I can't remember? If it is have a look see if there have been issues with the gearbox coolers failing and water getting into the gearbox oil.

Ref hot issues. Could be a myriad of things if you've checked compression that's obviously a good thing, I'd be doing a leak down test too.

Check all the wiring that plugs into the coils, if it's in a chain there could be a break elsewhere that occurs when the engine bay is all hot.

Could be something very simple both of these things.

I know it's difficult to not let your emotions get in your way and want to sack the car off, been there and been through it all but you've invested so much effort in it already.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #65
Henry_b
Washmitt Meister

Garage
As said above the coolant is going somewhere

either leaking or its burning it..

very strange Volvo cars/engines tend to be bombproof.

Last edited by Henry_b; 04-05-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Henry_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #66
Starbuck88

Garage
Do you still have the car?
Old 25-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #67
footfistart

Garage
Well Iím selling the car. Itís back together and selling as spare and repairs. It failed a dynamic compression test. Look it up as itís long winded. But I carried it out and didnít reach the expectation I was looking for I think something is needing as itís getting hot causing it to miss as I put brand new coils in and new plugs and checked spark on the block and the usual stuff including looking at it in the dark and nothing.

Itís a shame but itís a lesson learned.

So my girlfriend and her parents have helped me out and bought a far more reliable car.

Iíve now got one of these and so far so good except itís had the emission problem which is being dealt with but other than that itís great.

Sorry for no updates. Just got fed up with it so itís sat for a two months not moving. Itís not insured either.

Ryan

The Following User Says Thank You to footfistart For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (25-06-2018)
Old 25-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #68
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfistart View Post

Iíve now got one of these and so far so good except itís had the emission problem which is being dealt with but other than that itís great.

Sorry for no updates. Just got fed up with it so itís sat for a two months not moving. Itís not insured either.

Ryan

What an absolute bugger, such a shame to have to sell after all the hard work that was put into it, problem is you lose the love, you lose the money and lose the trust in the vehicle don't you.

Very happy to see you've sorted a new car and fingers crossed all will run well for you!
Old 25-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #69
MadOnVaux!

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,026 Posts
Shame about the Volvo....3rd time lucky with the Golf then? are you doing a thread on that?
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #70
kartman

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to kartman
Better luck with the Golf. If the emission problem you mention is getting VW to apply their new anti-cheat software then under no circumstances yes this done and if booked in cancel it immediately. It is not mandatory and will cause a whole host of issues, reliability problems and worse mpg. If it is something else then worth checking if it has been done anyhow. However if it is petrol and not a diesel then ignore all the above!
kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kartman For This Useful Post:
footfistart (26-06-2018)