Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > 'Films'and TV Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #21
transtek
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I've been watching the whole series, but one thing seems to stick in my mind: it feels "old", reviews of car that have been reviewed elsewhere about a year ago; it's almost like rewatching previous series of Fifth Gear from a few years ago. I think it needed to be brought more up-to-date and innovative to captivate an increasingly demanding audience. Still, better than watching Strictly or a lot of other rubbish on the TV these days!
transtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #22
PerryGunn
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
...and compare the Merc CLK, Porsche Boxster and BMW Z4M. A bit of false info when they think £8k gets a Z4M.
Just a bit - surprised VBH didn't get the Z4M up to 4k+rpm and mention that she suddenly had a wet gusset

Plus it would help if they compared comparable versions of each car e.g. Boxster S v AMG CLK v Z4M
PerryGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #23
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,677 Times in 4,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
Just a bit - surprised VBH didn't get the Z4M up to 4k+rpm and mention that she suddenly had a wet gusset

Plus it would help if they compared comparable versions of each car e.g. Boxster S v AMG CLK v Z4M
The Z4 3.0si would have been more fitting for that test and more inline with the prices.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #24
PerryGunn
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
The Z4 3.0si would have been more fitting for that test and more inline with the prices.
Quite agree...

I've seen the car featured on the show, it's owned by a (former) member of Z4-Forum and it's in immaculate condition - even though Z4Ms have dropped in price a bit over the last 12 months if it was up for sale I'd think it'd go for somewhere north of £18k in a private sale and well over £20k at a dealer (add 20% if being sold by Hexagon )

NB In the interests of full disclosure I own the Alpina Roadster S version of the Z4 and am a long standing member of Z4-Forum

Last edited by PerryGunn; 13-10-2018 at 10:01 PM.
PerryGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #25
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
Quite agree...

I've seen the car featured on the show, it's owned by a (former) member of Z4-Forum and it's in immaculate condition - even though Z4Ms have dropped in price a bit over the last 12 months if it was up for sale I'd think it'd go for somewhere north of £18k in a private sale and well over £20k at a dealer (add 20% if being sold by Hexagon )

NB In the interests of full disclosure I own the Alpina Roadster S version of the Z4 and am a long standing member of Z4-Forum
It does have low miles and a very clean MOT history.

I've recently bought a Z4C as a toy and did consider the Z4MC. The issue is next to none of them are selling. There has been cars on Autotrader for over 2 years.

There is lots of cars on the market that need price correction and the Z4Ms are one of them.

On saying that I did have a look at Boxters too. The issue with them is even though they are probably the better car the values just go down and down.

I'm kind of hoping I can have fun with the Z4C and get most of my money back at the end.
Old 20-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #26
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

This week's episode is also worth a watch.

They have the new Fiesta ST on trial. They fit a new HiFi to an old Audi. Not so irrelevant as other features they've done.

They also had the Jaguar i-pace for a road test.

The main feature was track day focused cars. It was good, but I would have preferred taking all the track day cars on the track. The obstacle course and acceleration tests are a bit irrelevant when the real purpose is a track day car is fun and getting around a track fast.

I'll not ruin it, but I think the car eliminated in the acceleration test would have done well when it comes to lap times.
Old 21-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #27
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,201 Times in 3,780 Posts
Garage
I agree. It’s a bit strange that they eliminate a car that meh otherwise be excellent on another test. I also don’t quite get Jimmy’s section - for me, there doesn’t seem to be enough detail to be of any real benefit to anyone looking to fit a new head unit, or any other parts that have been covered. Oh, and I think his mate would have heard him without the use of a phone anyway lol.

Otherwise, I’m really enjoying the series.

Cooks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #28
slim_boy_fat
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,234 Times in 1,045 Posts
It's been a bit of a disappointment for me, just feels dated as someone else said.

And Plato should stick to what he does [did ] best, as imho he doesn't make a good TV presenter.
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #29
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

It does need a format refresh.

Content is everything. They really should focus on fun cars and avoid normal stuff. Even stuff like the Jaguar i-pace is worth adding as electric cars are current and into the unknown for most. I'm not in the market for a track day car or a supercar, but I enjoy watching them.

If they are doing normal cars they need to be tested in normal conditions. There is no point racing diesel SUVs around the track like they did.

They need to stop the tests of drifting scores, elimination tests where cars get excluded when an element doesn't suit their strong points. Focus on relevant tests. Even the track battles are are too staged and not filmed particularly well. Just send the cars around and give the lap times. Their filming where they show the shadow car is far better.

The buying guide bit is ok. However, it doesn't cover much and the facts are often wrong.

Jimmy De Ville's part is just so outdated. Rather than focussing on old cars that hardly anyone owns, or will have already done the modifications, they should focus on current modifications for current cars.

It'd be good to see a feature where they highlight what improvement certain modifications make to a car. Track a standard car and see what improvements are made changing individual modifications. Brakes, suspension, tyres and power modifications etc.

Popping along to car clubs and events would also be good. Do features about track days and do features about good driving roads.

They need to catch up on their filming. They seem to be testing cars much later than everyone else.

Still better than Eastenders, but there is huge room for improvement.

Last edited by Kerr; 21-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (21-10-2018)