Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
alfajim
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Not cleaned my car for 7 weeks and it felt like sandpaper. Covered in sap and dust. Gave it a wash yesterday and it came up like new. Just soaked it and some power maxxed tfr on the bug collection on the front. Car chem shampoo.
alfajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 6,098 Times in 4,234 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pee View Post
Just wash it!!!! I just do the usual foam and rinse and the sap is gone
^^^ this as it works well enough for me. It's only sap and won't strip away your cars paint 😂 lol.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #13
Whytecat
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
I have this issue where i am forced to park all the time. BH autofoam strips it right off for me its scary...
Worked for me too
Whytecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
neilmcl

I had a spot that had been sitting on my bonnet for a while now and had thoroughly baked on, not sure if it was tree sap, pollen, bee poop or what, and so I decided to tackle it today. The car has been pre-washed with BH AF and washed a number of times and it still remained.

First things first, I too had previously watched the Forensic Detailing video and I can tell you now water alone was no way going to shift this. I hit it in the following order giving plenty of dwelling time and rinsing in between and nothing shifted it - Warm water, ONR, bug spray, tar & glue remover, fallout remover, none of which touched it. Finally I had to resort to using my clay cloth and this eventually did the trick after a number of passes.
neilmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
I had a spot that had been sitting on my bonnet for a while now and had thoroughly baked on, not sure if it was tree sap, pollen, bee poop or what, and so I decided to tackle it today. The car has been pre-washed with BH AF and washed a number of times and it still remained.

First things first, I too had previously watched the Forensic Detailing video and I can tell you now water alone was no way going to shift this. I hit it in the following order giving plenty of dwelling time and rinsing in between and nothing shifted it - Warm water, ONR, bug spray, tar & glue remover, fallout remover, none of which touched it. Finally I had to resort to using my clay cloth and this eventually did the trick after a number of passes.
Tree sap of the type discussed will cover all your car, not just leave a spot.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #16
Peteo48
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
I was going to post this Youtube clip myself as I watched it the other day.

I get a honeydew type covering on mine, tiny specs of the sticky stuff which appears to come from a nearby Birch tree.

It's scary but a good spray of ONR allowed to dwell for a minute or so ( cool conditions) followed by a gentle wipe with a soft sponge or MF soaked in ONR solution does the trick. I use BSD as a drying aid to good effect.

Fascinating to see Jon use all those chemicals only to find water works best

Harry
I guess tree saps vary - some are more resiny than others but Jon makes the point that most are water soluble. I park under some trees about twice a week and I have noticed that if you get a massive downpour, the paint loses that horrible sandpapery feel and is almost smooth again.
Peteo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peteo48 For This Useful Post:
westerman (14-07-2018)
Old 14-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #17
Taxboy
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteo48 View Post
I guess tree saps vary - some are more resiny than others but Jon makes the point that most are water soluble. I park under some trees about twice a week and I have noticed that if you get a massive downpour, the paint loses that horrible sandpapery feel and is almost smooth again.
What most people describe as tree sap is not sap at all but rather aphid poo from the insects living on the tree, which is why it normally washes off. I have pine trees in the garden an pine resin is an altogether different story which definitely requires the use of a solvent to remove.... especially if it has baked on

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Taxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taxboy For This Useful Post:
Peteo48 (14-07-2018)
Old 14-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
westerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
What most people describe as tree sap is not sap at all but rather aphid poo from the insects living on the tree, which is why it normally washes off. I have pine trees in the garden an pine resin is an altogether different story which definitely requires the use of a solvent to remove.... especially if it has baked on

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Yes you are spot on. Tree Sap is a term used loosely for the secretions of aphid/insects. A more accurate name would be 'honeydew'.

I imagine true tree sap oozes from the bark of trees and as such would appear as irregular blobs. It would also be true resin and difficult to remove.

I suppose there should be different threads for honeydew and resin as they are indeed very different curses affecting our car's finish.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to westerman For This Useful Post:
Taxboy (14-07-2018)
Old 14-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #19
neilmcl

Well the thing on my car was a small yellow dot of something and whatever it is was a real bugger to break down and remove.
neilmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
Peteo48
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Aphid poo? If I hadn't been on this site I would never have discovered this.

Makes absolute sense now I think about it.
Peteo48 is offline   Reply With Quote