Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
JHWP
Unwashed Member

Advice on preparing new painted trim and wheels

Looking for some advice please guys...

I have some brand new gloss black painted bits of plastic trim (side skirts, rear diffuser etc.). I want to polish and seal them but they are a bit dusty from being packaged and stored. The dust is quite light but there is enough of it present that I wouldn't be comfortable going straight in and polishing without removing it. Just give it a wash I hear you say but, as I'm sure you know, anything painted gloss black is a total swirl magnet, it marks so so easily. These parts are 90% defect free apart from some small areas where the packaging has rubbed against the paint and produced some very light marring. None the less I would like to polish them lightly before sealing so they looks as best as possible before being sealed and being refitted to the car.
What would you recomend to do? I thought maybe a detail spray and a very careful wipe over with a high GSM MF (Eagle Edgeless) but thought it might screw up the polishing process. I also have ONR or maybe I should just do very careful normal wash and hope for the best? I've tested some areas that are painted but can't be seen (underside of side skirts) and the paint marks so easily. It seems that the paint cannot be touched without it marring slightly

I also have a brand new set of diamond cut wheels to fit and again I would like to polish before sealing. They are dusty and have a bit of grime from tyres being fitted. While not as easily marked as the gloss black parts above, the clear coat is very thin and does mark pretty easily but at least the marks do not show up as easily as the gloss black parts. I'd like to know what you would suggest with these too to get them clean, polished and protected without lowering the condition of them in the process.

The polishing will be done by hand on the trim and by a fine/soft polishing cone drill attachment on the wheels or by hand if that is a better option. I don't have a machine polisher and even if I did it would be overkill for this particular job as both need very little correction.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
JHWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,948 Times in 2,504 Posts
Are these on the car or still waiting to be installed? My first thought was just wash with trim with whatever shampoo you are happy with. I am not that experienced with coatings but my second thought was to get a coating to protect them.

I suspect the longer term problem will be how they will look in 6-18 months
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
JHWP
Unwashed Member

Thanks for the reply.

The trim is freshly painted (but fully cured) and ready to be installed after being prepped and protected and the wheels are brand new out of the box with original paint having just had tyres fitted.

I plan on using Wowo's Crystal Sealant to seal both the trim and wheels. Polish will most likely be Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish or I thought Autoglym Super Resin Polish might be better to use in this scenario as there is very little correction needed and SRP is nearly more in the glaze class rather than polish it sems so might suit this application well? I also have Auto Finesse Tripple but seeing as it leaves a layer of wax behind I thought it might mess up the Crystal Sealant application so don't think I will use that. I will be doing a panel wipe with Bilt Hamber Cleanser Fluid too before applying the sealant.

In 16-18 months I will be correcting bits that need correcting and can just crack on as normal which I suppose is my problem here now - I am trying to prepare bits that don't need any correction, and do so without causing any marring.
Old 15-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
JHWP
Unwashed Member

Anybody else have any advice on cleaning dust off brand new gloss black plastic trim and wheels without marring before polishing and sealing?