Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Sports and Fitness Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Sports and Fitness Zone For everything from Football to Rugby to Tennis and everything in between!

Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,385 Times in 4,101 Posts
I tipped Croatia to win the World Cup.

Croatia were by far the best team tonight. I don't even think it was a foul for the England goal. Alli was going down like he often does.

England did well to get to the semi final, but I don't think it's unfair to say the draw and decisions in games helped them. They always looked threatening from set pieces, but not in open play.

Why is treated as such a shock that England get to the semi-finals of a major tournament? We hear every week that most of those players are top or world class and worth £30m+.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
kh904 (12-07-2018), Yellow Dave (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #12
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Should have had it won in the first half but they seemed happy to back pass to keeper and slow play down. Kane was nowhere tonight too. But the team can come home proud of what they did which is not what we're used to.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #13
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,385 Times in 4,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlofan View Post
Should have had it won in the first half but they seemed happy to back pass to keeper and slow play down. Kane was nowhere tonight too. But the team can come home proud of what they did which is not what we're used to.
Other than the chance Kane should have scored, What else should have won the game?

The free-kick for the goal was from a dive.

Croatia had numerous chances.

Has Kane actually been that good in the World Cup? Gold boot winner made up of 3 penalties, a lucky deflection and two tap ins against Tunisia.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #14
Darlofan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Other than the chance Kane should have scored, What else should have won the game?

The free-kick for the goal was from a dive.

Croatia had numerous chances.

Has Kane actually been that good in the World Cup? Gold boot winner made up of 3 penalties, a lucky deflection and two tap ins against Tunisia.
Kane missed a header, hit the post(Should have been a corner but mistakenly given offside!). Also had a header saved on the line so there were chances. Some iffy ref decisions too, where we missed out on free kicks.

Agree Kane hasn't been at his best but at the end of the day he's scored more than others in the tournament which is what the golden boot is about.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 PM   #15
muzzer

Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,815 Posts
Garage
Their heads dropped after Croatia scored their first, it was only a matter of time before Croatia pushed them back.

To be fair, it’s the furthest England have got in World Cup for sone time
Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
bigalc

Oh well, at least they won it in 1966.
England played ok in the first half but the experience of Croatia started to show in the second half.
Well done England for getting to the semi final, maybee this will encourage the youngsters to up their game for the future.
bigalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #17
nbray67

Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,613 Posts
Garage
My opinion, slate me if you want, but having a defender as an England coach = negative play.
First point - Alli, missing all tournament and picked every game that mattered and failed to live up to is Spurs reputation.

2nd - Dier, most negative player in an England shirt, but gets picked ahead of Loftus Cheek even though he had an absolute mare against Belgium.

3rd - Sadgate took Sterling off and left Lingard on despite Lingard being missing all match.

Finally, that same starting 11 struggled against Tunisia FFS, struggled against Colombia FFS but still he picked the same 11 again tonight. 23 man squad means naff all these days.

Croatia have played 2 extra times and still ran us ragged in the 2nd half, even with Lovren at the back.

I called it ages ago, Sadgate will win us **** all.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #18
dholdi

I wish people would quote their previous predictions so we can all see why they would make a better manager than the incumbent.
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #19
Bulkhead

Garage
Firstly, I'm in no way, shape or form a football supporter. I think this stems from freezing afternoons being forced to watch Oxford United at the Manor (usually getting beaten) and trying to make a packet of Polo mints last 90 minutes. However, I thought I'd watch a bit of the World Cup. In the words of Julia Roberts, big mistake; huge! I saw players happy to kick the ball backwards and sideways endlessly. After 15 mins the thought of watching paint dry became ever more appealing. I came to the conclusion that the dreary play was due to the increased fitness of modern players. Back in the 70s, pre-match warm-ups consisted of a pie and a nip of brandy. Now, the finely-tuned athletes feast on electrolytes, tattoos and spray tans. As both teams have a similar mix, play becomes stagnant as the qualities of each opponent are cancelled out. So here are my recommendations to the Football Association:

Reduce each team to 9 players with two substitutes.
Playing the ball backwards results in a free kick to the opposing team.
Increase the width of the goal by 1 metre and height by half a metre.
Dissent, time-wasting and generally behaving like a petulant child gets you 10 minutes in the sin bin for the first offence and red carded for a second.
Players salary is performanced-based - say a 30 grand retainer and bonuses based on game-by-game performance.
All referees have to complete a course on common sense and match management by Nigel Owens.

Sorted.
Bulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bulkhead For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (12-07-2018), pxr5 (13-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #20
dholdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkhead View Post
Firstly, I'm in no way, shape or form a football supporter.
Haha, should have stopped there
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote