Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,058 Times in 1,905 Posts
Garage
Question Eurostar To Bruge

I'm going to brave visiting another country at the weekend and have booked a Eurostar to Bruge for a short break with the missus.

Any one got any tips, on both travel and the stay, perhaps places to visit, things to do, places to eat? My understanding is that Bruge isn't massive so is quite easy to get around.

We change train at Brussels and the ticket is any time/any train in Belgium. Bit nervous about the change, but i won't have been the first person to do it i'm sure.

The Eurostar back from Brussels is mid afternoon, so the plan is to catch an earlyish train from Bruge and spend a couple of hours in Brussels before going home, assuming of course the train station is in reach of something interesting to see/do.

Shame i won't get to watch Belgium v Engerland in a Bruge pub, drinking Belgium beer

Last edited by Shiny; 11-07-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,534 Times in 4,167 Posts
You might just get that wish of Belgium and England. The third place playoff is on Saturday.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
Shiny (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,372 Times in 2,064 Posts
Don't get stressed, enjoy the trip, relax and if you miss the connecting train i'm sure there will be another. Pack light, make sure your phone is charged up and don't keep all of your money together just incase you missplace something.

Download the local train company apps so you can be aware of any delays.

St Pancras is a nice station so have a wander around.
SteveTDCi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveTDCi For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (11-07-2018), Shiny (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Mike J
Unwashed Member

When youve done it you will want more.
Try taking your car to Caen, drive the 30k to Falaise and stay for a couple of nights or more. Local b&bs apx €45-50/night, google translate for communications, lovely people and region.
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike J For This Useful Post:
Shiny (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #5
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
You might just get that wish of Belgium and England. The third place playoff is on Saturday.
Well it’s definitely happening now Play offs just aren’t the same though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
Don't get stressed, enjoy the trip, relax and if you miss the connecting train i'm sure there will be another. Pack light, make sure your phone is charged up and don't keep all of your money together just incase you missplace something.

Download the local train company apps so you can be aware of any delays.

St Pancras is a nice station so have a wander around.
Autistic lists written including phone charger, camera charger, plug adapters, etc. My mind is ticking with irrational thoughts and lists when in reality I can buy stuff there if I forget it.

Plan to relax in St Pancreas with a bite and a pint, so hopefully will be ok. Also will split the Euros between me and missus and spread them about us too. Learned to guard everything from a city in break in Rome where you feel like you are about to be robbed all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
When youve done it you will want more.
Try taking your car to Caen, drive the 30k to Falaise and stay for a couple of nights or more. Local b&bs apx €45-50/night, google translate for communications, lovely people and region.
I love my car, love driving, even managed the Causeway Coast a few years back, but I’ve honestly no desire to drive abroad on the wrong side of the road. I realise I’m missing loads, but city breaks are honestly enough excitement for now.

I thought I had a fear of flying, but having now flown a couple times, the fear is actually of travelling outside my comfort zone. Swindon to Bath on the train is as about exciting as I can normally handle

Old 11-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Caledoniandream
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Brugge where the bars have no closing hour.
As long as there are punters in the bar, they serve.
Watch out for the Duvel (devil beer) strong, lovely taste but can kick you unexpectedly, for the ladies a Kriek Lambiek (cherry beer)
Food can be cheap (stoof potje and of course chips and mussels) and so expensive as you like.
There is so much to see, and there is a lot of historie, buildings, streets and of course the Belgish Cafe (pub)
There are plenty of walking tours, go to the tourist information (VVV) and get some maps and other information.
You will come back, that is for sure!
We stay normal in the Grand Hotel Casselbergh, but there is hundreds of hotels in every price class.
The Belgiums are in general very welcoming and speak decent English.
Caledoniandream is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
Shiny (12-07-2018), SteveTDCi (11-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
Brugge where the bars have no closing hour.
As long as there are punters in the bar, they serve.
Watch out for the Duvel (devil beer) strong, lovely taste but can kick you unexpectedly, for the ladies a Kriek Lambiek (cherry beer)
Food can be cheap (stoof potje and of course chips and mussels) and so expensive as you like.
There is so much to see, and there is a lot of historie, buildings, streets and of course the Belgish Cafe (pub)
There are plenty of walking tours, go to the tourist information (VVV) and get some maps and other information.
You will come back, that is for sure!
We stay normal in the Grand Hotel Casselbergh, but there is hundreds of hotels in every price class.

We booked the Hotel as part of the package, picked one in the centre, 4*, good reviews, so hopefully will be good.

Do you travel by Eurostar? Is the change at Brussels etc relatively easy?

Really looking forward to it, once i'm there that is...

Old 12-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
Mike J
Unwashed Member

Driving on the other side is just a case of mental adjustment followed by the physical action.
Watch a few videos, take a good co-driver and if you dont know you just stop and sort it out safely.
A decent GPS is an essential as is a crefit card for tolls.
Euro CC are available for longer journeys.
You can hammer it ie; Nothern Germany to Algarve in two days or Grande Tour (its where the term GT came from) it at a more leisurely pace.

I have just returned from a 7week tour through France Spain and Portugal, nearly 5000km and just a small scrub on a rim to show for it.

Dont underestimate your abilities, challenge yourself and go for it, if you dont you will probably live to wish you had.

Life is not a rehearsal but the real thing so live it to the full.

Have a great time in Belgium
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike J For This Useful Post:
Shiny (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Garage
Everyone is different, I’m perfectly happy with my comfortable routine and familiarity.

Personally I don’t understand some people’s desire to challenge themselves and seek adrenaline. I’d much rather sit in a room experiencing a new piece of music playing through the stereo with a nice whiskey in hand than walk on the wing of a plane.

I have no real regrets in life, perhaps there are things I would have done differently or sooner, but no regrets. My take on life is to do the things I enjoy and perhaps, every now and then when the missus forces me, suffer the anxiety and stress in breaking the routine and trying something new.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,375 Times in 796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
The two main tribes can't stand each other and speak English to avoid speaking French or Dutch as the case may be. There are also Belgians whose mother tongue is German.

I wish I had a pound for the number of times I've been sharply told that they'd prefer to speak English when I address a Belgian in French.

A dream place to be a monoglot Brit!

Seriously there's loads to see and eat and drink. And even central Brussels isn't that big.

You can also take comfort that their government is even worse than ours! Get a Belgian onto the subject of the five layers of government if you want to hear a rant.

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fentum For This Useful Post:
Shiny (12-07-2018), SteveTDCi (12-07-2018)