Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 17-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

X2 Peugeot 306 (GTi6, XU7)

Nearly three years of happy bangernomics came to an end this week, when my lovely E36 tow slag / fast van / comedy skid wagon was consigned to the bin for a healthy case of sill rot. I would have loved to patch it up and keep trucking, but I just didn't have the time. I expect someone will do quite well out of it, it'll probably be worth about £8k in six months.

Here it is depicted giving a lift to my long-suffering, 170k-mile, Phase 3 306 GTi6, the real subject of this thread. It was a late-night, unseen, eBay purchase; after I had been captivated by a B-road blast in a friends'. The feel, the gearing, the turn-in, the mid-corner balance and adjustability, the strength and tractability of the XU10, all combine to make a seriously fast cross-country proposition.

I needed a replacement for the E36 fast, and it had to be something I know. I like:

'90s BMWs:

'90s Porsches:

and '90s Peugeots:

The first was likely to be rotten, and the second unattainable. Therefore logically, I now am the proud owner of a second Phase 3 306:

Just need a white one now.

It's one(ish) owner, tidy, appears to be well-maintained, sub-70k-mile; and most importantly comes fitted with the XU7 engine. This is a 1760cc 16v ally block design, quite closely related to the 1998cc iron block XU10 in the GTi6. It's very restricted in standard form (making around 110bhp), but prime for a lot of improvement, usefully lighter, and with a usefully shorter stroke than the XU10...

The purpose of this thread is to document progress with both cars. The 1.8 shall see daily duty for the next couple of years, while I perform a half-restoration on the GTi6. This car will be for weekends and the track. I will initially focus on sorting and improving the chassis and other systems, whilst retaining the standard engine. Later on, we'll see where it goes...

For now though, the 1.8 needs a few jobs. First up, ridding it of 16 years' worth of cigarette smoke, dog, and recent dealer-smear silicone. I have a particular hatred of all of these features.

Now I've seen much worse, and the dealer did a good job of the initial clean and de-stink. But I can't fathom why they insist on making every non-porous surface greasy. No before pictures, as I was keen to get on with the tools, safe to say I'm quite pleased with the turnaround.

Vacuuming courtesy of Henry. Surfex liberally applied to all hard surfaces at 25:1. Agitated with 1" Valet Pro brush and Vikan nail brush where necessary. Finished with microfibre. Some surfaces took three hits.

The wheel and grab handle were something else however. I've not seen much like it. You can make out the ingrained dirt filling in the texture of the handle - the dark spots are where I've scrubbed through to the surface:

I broke out The Boss' steam cleaner and scrubbed for what felt like hours. See the tide mark:

And clean. Ish. Will probably have to hit this again. It's taken some abuse in the process but it had to be done. I felt ill after touching it.

Wheel was a similar case but came up better.

Glass finished with 2-3 hits of G6, and that's all I had time for. I need to obtain a wet vac of some description and have a go at the fabric seat inserts, door cards, and head lining. Plan then to finish with GTechniq protection.

Filth!

Outside will be the subject of a different day. Plenty of the usual paint defects, plus this shocker of a 'blow-over', complete with two perfect squares of what I assume is filler shrinkage:

I think I've found the milkfloat car.

No worries really, it's not bent, the doors shut fine, and it doesn't leak.

I won't be starting on the GTi6 for a while, but will do the detail on that car when I can. It's sat for two years as a result of head gasket failure and is looking a little the worse for wear. It donated its wheels to the 1.8 this morning, which are going for new boots on Monday. At least now I can say I've started the project!

'Til next time.
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (17-03-2018), JR1982 (17-03-2018), steelghost (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
JR1982
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,022 Posts
Garage
Another one to look forwards too, now subscribed.
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
mechrepairs
PC Perfectionist

Garage
W322 GET

I bought this car maybe 10 years ago for the number plate that was on it, cleaned it up carried out a service, timing belt and sold on, used to be s7 xth.

Carl
mechrepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mechrepairs For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,319 Times in 3,850 Posts
Garage
Looking forward to the updates. I love 306s. I had 2 turbo diesels and loved them both.

Cheers

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
ibiza55

Thanked 1,402 Times in 1,360 Posts
Garage
Hmmm, looking forward to this, PSA cars, my favourite.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Ben_W

Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechrepairs View Post
W322 GET

I bought this car maybe 10 years ago for the number plate that was on it, cleaned it up carried out a service, timing belt and sold on, used to be s7 xth.

Carl
Carl, is there any 6/Rallye you don't know?!
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1982 View Post
Another one to look forwards too, now subscribed.
Cheers, I've taken more than a little inspiration from your thread on the Corsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechrepairs View Post
W322 GET

Carl
Hi Carl, I did reply to your comment in my garage thread but you can't have seen it. It's Tom here, I bought the car early '13 from a chap near Newcastle, who I believe bought it from you. He kept this in the history file - maybe 10 years ago was exactly 10 years ago!

You've done a few jobs on it for me. Do you remember collecting it from my house in Loughborough at the crack of dawn, middle of winter '13, when it had spun a shell? You gave me the use of your courtesy car, a Phase 1 diesel Spinnaker, P95 DNR - I remember for some bizarre reason. Lovely thing that was. Think I have a picture of it somewhere.

I had quite a lot of trouble with the GTi, thinking back. It's travelled courtesy of the AA more times than I remember! The rear ARB kept falling out, front calipers seized, it was plagued by intermittent idle and other mapping / sensor issues, one of the wishbone mounting points was bent, it leaked from where someone broke into it, none of the exhausts it had ever fitted properly, and some stupid woman stoved the wing in and wrote it off. In hindsight, all easy fixes. Could never really give it the care it deserved as I was a student on a shoestring at the time, but really glad I kept it. It will be nice again - and look as good as it does in that picture!

Some photos dug up from my ownership:

The day after I collected it - from checking the dates I remember it was a 22nd birthday present to myself!

Any old photo op:

It's no stranger to motorsport venues...

Bedford where it spun a shell:

Various repairs ongoing (a common occurrence):

Touring Europe; lots of Alps, Innsbruck, Col de Turini, obligatory Stelvio, obligatory Touristenfahrten (I got past the Cayman), other places. Getting the exhaust welded up by a nice Swiss man who only spoke Italian when I thought I'd get by OK with 12 words of German...

ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (03-04-2018), JR1982 (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #8
JR1982

Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,022 Posts
Garage
Looks like you’ve had a lot of fun it that, and thanks for reminding about the Corsa still got loads to do on that, roll on spring
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (17-03-2018)
Old 17-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #9
AS_BO

This is shaping up to be a mega thread already, 90’s BMW’s and 306’s rule! Ex of mine had a Phase 3 HDI and it was a mega car to hustle, great chassis balance and very adjustable on the throttle.

Subscribed
AS_BO is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AS_BO For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (31-03-2018)
Old 18-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #10
President Swirl

Thanked 1,355 Times in 1,179 Posts
I had a 306 HDI GLX a while ago. Great car, and I miss it.
President Swirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to President Swirl For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (31-03-2018)