Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 31-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #11
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

I'm glad there's a lot of love for these still! To many it's just boring and dated, but to me quite the opposite. Now that I'm back into the swing of using one of these every day, I find it's both more entertaining and quicker cross-country than the E36, even if I do miss the big boot and it's uncanny ability to make it feel like everyone is travelling strangely slowly...

I've not had chance to clean it and assess the paint properly yet, but the 'protection' applied by the dealer (I guess little more than something in the rinse water) is still holding on to a point. Had a sketchy moment on the old tyres when someone decided they were going to have my lane at the last second, in the wet - which bumped getting the new tyres on up my list of priorities rather quickly. So the wheels haven't had a clean yet, but at least now I'm not entrusting my life to a pair of tyres with an average (!) age of 9 years and different rolling radii.

Changed all the bulbs, just as a matter of course on an old car. Most of them were original and deteriorated. Due to the bizarre rear light cluster design (the whole thing comes out to change a bulb), had reason to clean up behind. Not that they were too bad to begin with.

ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (03-04-2018)
Old 31-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS_BO View Post
This is shaping up to be a mega thread already, 90’s BMW’s and 306’s rule! Ex of mine had a Phase 3 HDI and it was a mega car to hustle, great chassis balance and very adjustable on the throttle.

Subscribed
Thanks! You've hit the nail on the head with the 306, they're superb. Will show a clean pair of heels to a lot of modern things once you've a bit of momentum up - especially with a good up-to-date tyre like the Goodyear I've chosen. They've a compliance that modern cars don't have, and the lack of width counts for a lot too.

On the other 90's BMW (the E34) - that's my next project. I should hopefully get started on it this year. It's a about as rotten as you'd expect, but well worth saving - being a genuine 535i Sport which has been in our family since nearly new.

You kind of forget how old these 'modern classics' are. I think it looks sharper every day.

In a bit of a state at the moment, mind...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (03-04-2018), JR1982 (31-03-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #13
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Did the drop links this weekend. Crap plastic things don't seem to last long, even decent branded ones. Peugeot in their infinite wisdom and living up to the stereotype, specified a Torx star in the end of the ball joint thread to counter-hold. Great when it's new... out came the mole grips.

Cleaned up the Cyclones as best I could. They're in desperate need of a refurb but I have better places to spend my money.

Filthy:

Hit with a strong mix of Surfex and Auto-Foam:

They've certainly seen some track-related abuse...

Many fallout (trying AG Blood Tonic this time):

Finished off with BH Cleanser Polish and AG Synth Seal:

Alumslip on the mounting faces and back on.

I might paint them, I probably won't.

The blue car *might* get something special but I don't want to spill the beans yet...
Cookies (03-04-2018), JR1982 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #14
rob267
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

"I might paint them, I probably won't."

Love the honesty mate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
rob267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob267 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (03-04-2018), ttc6 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Don’t slow it down, do they?

Old 23-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

So, got a good day and a half on the red car last weekend for a proper wash, decon, correct and protect. Process as follows:

Engine bay - Surfex, 303:

Door shuts and cack traps - mix of Surfex, Auto Foam and Auto Wash
Pre-wash - Auto Foam
2 bucket wash - Auto Wash
Fallout - AG Blood Tonic. Nothing too bad, difficult to see on red though:

Tar - CarChem Tar Remover
Clay - BH Medium. At this point I realised just how soft the paint is!
Dried and rolled inside for inspection. Many years of neglect, and 20 mins with a lump of clay.

Only had time for a single stage rotary, Menz PF on a Hex Green. Finished down acceptably for a daily and got most of the defects out:

A couple of shots in progress. This Sealey colour match LED is brilliant.

Finished with BH Cleanser Polish by Hex White, and two coats of AG Synth Seal by 3M black. No sense hanging round!

Not touched the side with the rough paint, just slapped CP and sealant over it. Easiest route will be a pair of new doors, as there's some incredible sanding marks under the colour, some really crap masking, and the clear hasn't taken in a lot of places. Really it's a total **** show, looks like someone did it with a rattle can.

Either way, small improvement!

Thanks for looking.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
f4rrs (23-04-2018), fishy (23-04-2018), JR1982 (23-04-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #17
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Too long with no progress on the blue car. Imgur informs me that I took these pictures five months ago, so I'm posting partly as a means to kick myself up the ****. Seeing it every day, deteriorating, was really starting to get to me. So yesterday I made a start. It's not much but it's something.

I'm not proud of the state I've let this get into.

Doesn't look too bad from a distance...

...but closer up it's not pretty.

Plenty to sort...

Theft damage:

Accident damage:

Transport damage:

All of the damage. Both bumpers need at least repainting, maybe a new one at the front. Both wings need painting, one needs refitting properly from the accident. Drivers' door needs replacing. Realistically the whole shell needs paint, but I'm happy to get that done for 'phase two' - after the Beemer is back on the road. I'm expecting to find rust.

Anyway, all projects have to start somewhere. Foam. Pressure washer. Little brush. Lots of Surfex. Go.

Better. We will continue this tomorrow.

In other news, the red car has had a full wet vac and I'm very pleased with how it came up. I think I'm going to make a video on the process but not making any promises for now...

Borrowed this recently. Nice car. Not that I go in for the whole crossover thing, but nice to know that PSA are delivering decent cars once more. Did a halfway convincing job of imitating a baby Range Rover, couple of tweaks to the ride frequency and gearbox strategy and it would be away. £36k though... yeah I probably wouldn't.

"3008 I am your father"

Presents for the blue car to make me feel less guilty. Unicorn Xsara (quick ratio) steering rack:

And holy crap this just got serious.

Last edited by ttc6; 14-07-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: More pictures of teh filths.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
ibiza55
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,359 Posts
Garage
Lovely Jubbly, I know Peugeot and Citroen have close production links, but this Peugeot was far ahead of the Xsara in this period, keep the updates coming matey.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (14-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #19
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

I’ve never driven the Xsara, but I understand the VTS was basically the GTi6. It got the same J4RS motor but did without the six speed, but got a faster rack and I believe a slightly more favourable rear suspension tune. And most importantly, better washer jets. All the best 306s have Xsara was her jets....

Finished off with a one bucket scratch wash tonight (over a beer). Desperately needs a clay, but it’s likely to see the nasty end of a grinder soon so I restrained myself. Couldn’t resist drying with a bit of QD in the towel though.

I love this colour. It’s pearlescent and has a hint of purple in it. If I’m honest I bought it for the colour!

It’s not even swirled up too badly...

JR1982 (13-07-2018), wrxmania (13-07-2018)
Old 14-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Just updated the post above with a few more mossy pictures I dug out.