Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 09-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
NeilG40
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Excellent write up, looking forward to the da one.
NeilG40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Exclusive Car Care

Thanked 2,100 Times in 432 Posts
nice review Dave I think I will give this stuff a try..Who sells it here in UK???
Exclusive Car Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 9,809 Times in 3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleamingkleen View Post
nice review Dave I think I will give this stuff a try..Who sells it here in UK???
Elite Car Care do gallon sizes, is where I got mine ... But you could get it direct from Meguiars in bulk if you find yourself likely to use a lot of it
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
nudda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post
Initial results for me are suggesting I am getting just slightly better results with 85RD on the DA and the tables turning the other way for the rotary... however its too early for me to say just now, rotary is my primary tool so its always the one I can give a detailed opinion on first... I take more time by DA (strange you may think) as I have to go through various application techniques to see what will work best for me.

Will post up soon when I have my thoughts though, as it may be I just need to vary methods on the DA around a little bit to extract from #205 what I was easily getting by rotary
Thanks Dave. Really look forward to a DA writeup for the 205 - that would make my day !!
nudda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
Dream Machines

Send a message via MSN to Dream Machines
thanks so much Dave

It is $70 dollars for 946ml in Australia and really thats no big deal if it performs like you say.
105 was a massive dissappointment to me so luckily I didn't buy a gallon of it first up

Working times of polishes can be pushed with certain oils and products such as Driven quick spray, green aussie cleaner tasmanian based natural oils, diggers parrafin oil, gloss it EVP and Black baron

I've gotten 85rd to work for ten minutes before and spending 4 mins of that at 1000 then 900, 800 and 600 (for 1 min on it's own) for a sensational finish
that was with the green aussie cleaner on the pad (one small drop) and black baron on the pad

205 certainly sounds like Meguiars best product in two decades. their older mirror glaze products from 1989 to 93 were better than was available up until 2008
I certainly will have a good play with it with various types of pads

ingredients are

aluminium oxide
isoparrafinic mineral oil.
medium aliphatic naptha (kerosene according to inchem.org)
hydrotreated distillate (heavy or light parrafin)
glycerin

it must be all in the way the oxide is milled as to it's performance.
I wonder if it's a sharp faced abrasive or a rounded face. - might be too sharp for jap paints

cheers for your review

Last edited by Dream Machines; 10-06-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Dream Machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
ahaydock
Retired Mod

Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,414 Posts
Garage
Thanks for sharing Dave.

Having been using Megs #205 a lot recently I pretty much agree with all you have said. Whilst breaking down to a superb finish it does have the extra cut. I used it here on a Civic and it gave near on full correction.

Along with the great finish and flexibility I also like its reduced working times it can offer, but as you say the only downside is its higher price tag.

Last edited by ahaydock; 10-06-2009 at 02:35 PM.
ahaydock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
Detailed Obsession
Orbital Oracle

I love #205 - it was a product i loved from the very first time i used it. Like Dave, i usually use it on a rotary, but to the poster who asked about DA - i've also found it to be superb. I tested it on a Meg's polishing pad and used speeds 4 and 5 with varying pressure. I found finishing off with a couple of very light passes (i was supporting some of the weight of the machine rather than pressing down on it) moving quite slowly, really help pop the finish

The price was a shock - i couldn't believe it when i ordered some cases of it and then the invoice came through Having used it thought, I'd say it's not unreasonable - it really does give the finish something extra, and the bottle is large enough to last for ages, so the cost of use per car isn't too bad. I've been selling a bit more of it recently, so obviously people are keen to try it out

Gareth
Detailed Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
amiller

Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,178 Posts
you forgot to mention that 205 can be worked literally for ever and ever!

any thoughts on whether you noticed different results using/not using the Zenith point technique which fits around the idea of a "diminishing" abrasive rather than the 205's "unigrit" system.

I enjoyed the finish it left on my golf bonnet that's for sure. reminds me of Dodo Juice LPL to use for some reason.
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 9,809 Times in 3,177 Posts
You can use the zenith point with it, and it will deliver good results, but I personally find adding to thie techbique by varying a bit more the pressures and machine movement pace gives the full potential of the product
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
spitfire
Distinguished Detailer

Thanks for the write up Dave. Very informative. The problem with the introduction of new polishes and for that matter, a lot of other detailing products, is keeping up. For instance, I have 4 different 1 litre bottles of menzerna polishes and at the rate that I polish cars, maybe four a year if I'm lucky, I never seem to use up what I've got. It can be a bit frustrating at times seeing new products like this new polish, but not really having any real justification to buy it. I could buy it but by the time I'd get to use it there'll be something else on the market. Nice to see advances being made though.

As to a point made by another poster above. How long can you work this polish before having to reapply the product to the pad. Do the carriers dry out? And what would you say the level of cut is, over a set, in comparison to Menzerna polishes over a similar working time?
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote