Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #21
Brazo
ADMIN

Thanked 3,289 Times in 1,700 Posts
Garage
Have to say I popped a bottle of this into the basket whilst making an order last night.

I am concerned that the abrasives don't break down but am really am looking forward to seeing how it actually works! I take it you could work it for 5 seconds or 5 minutes and not get holograms induced by product not breaking down properly that you would get with say #80?

Either way it should work on some ultra soft paint I have next week!
Brazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
Clark @ PB
DW Supporter

Thanked 5,186 Times in 1,033 Posts
205 is a very nice product and one I've been playing with for a few months now, still cant decide whether I prefer it over 85RD or Evolution Polish though and there a few more new polishes on the way that I cant wait to try so I'll have to do a bit more playing yet

It does work well on soft paints though, which you wouldnt think on first impressions!
Clark @ PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #23
ahaydock
Retired Mod

Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,414 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazo View Post
I am concerned that the abrasives don't break down but am really am looking forward to seeing how it actually works! I take it you could work it for 5 seconds or 5 minutes and not get holograms induced by product not breaking down properly that you would get with say #80?
That's pretty much what I found and I doubt you'll regret the purchase mate
ahaydock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahaydock For This Useful Post:
Brazo (11-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #24
Ultimate Shine
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Well after Dave's explination of what is inside the polish (Dave you should be a teacher)

I had an M3 in today and decided to test this theory out. I bought a Gal of 105 when it came out last year and wondered how i could achieve a good finish out of a major cutting compound

Well dave i was amazed with changing the way you use the product makes it totally amazing.

I tried it with a megs polishing pad and starting off slow and then speeding up to 1600rpm and i applied pressure over defects and then slowed it down slightly just prior to the defect being removed and then moved away from the defect and then back and ramped up again and then some more pressure and then light pressure and then slowed it down and finish. It really doesn't break down at all but you can still finish with a gloss finish.

The product doesn't need much pad prime additive as it stays wet for quite some time.

I done a small test i applied more than normal ammount on the panel and used a megs compounding pad and worked slightly and then stopped before defect was removed and switched to a polishing pad and continued using the same product on the panel untill defect removed and then i stopped again and the switched to a finishing pad for gloss and hey presto it worked.

I wouldn't suggest that you do that i just done it to see if the product could work through the whole process and still produce gloss and a swirl free finish.

It last's for ages with the machine and stop you from having to stop and squirt so many times.

Anyway DaveKG well pointed out as i checked Meg's american forum after for a more indepth explination of the product
Ultimate Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #25
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 9,809 Times in 3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Thanks for the write up Dave. Very informative. The problem with the introduction of new polishes and for that matter, a lot of other detailing products, is keeping up. For instance, I have 4 different 1 litre bottles of menzerna polishes and at the rate that I polish cars, maybe four a year if I'm lucky, I never seem to use up what I've got. It can be a bit frustrating at times seeing new products like this new polish, but not really having any real justification to buy it. I could buy it but by the time I'd get to use it there'll be something else on the market. Nice to see advances being made though.

As to a point made by another poster above. How long can you work this polish before having to reapply the product to the pad. Do the carriers dry out? And what would you say the level of cut is, over a set, in comparison to Menzerna polishes over a similar working time?
You can work #205 for a very long time... I have seen a ten minute work time from this product at a consistent 1500rpm, using a 3M finishing pad - this was in the unit, cool conditions, and ideal paint (ie, Menz was not finding it in the slightest tacky)... However, on a particularly sticky paint, I saw the oils of #205 being absorbed cutting the work time to just two or three minutes before the residue vanished and the pad started to drag. If you stopped before this happened, light pressure at the end, you would have an LSP ready high gloss finish. But take it beyond the lube's working time and you will inflict holograms as you up the heat, and up the cut of the abrasives without the lube buffering them - as they are not breaking down, when this happens, the cut goes up and you get marring. So you so have to ensure you dont overwork the polish but the chances of that on most paints is extremely small, only very sticky paints caused this issue... That said, up to the point of the issue, the 205 was gliding away on sticky paint as if nothing was any different, which it has done twice for me now and very rewarding that is too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazo View Post
Have to say I popped a bottle of this into the basket whilst making an order last night.

Either way it should work on some ultra soft paint I have next week!
You can vary your work time a lot and still get very good results in the finish - the key is not in the work time anymore, it is in the application method: the speed, the pressure, the machine movement. Its a little bit of a new school of thought if you are used to diminshing abrasives, but I reckon you'll relish this polish Mark as I think your "style" is very similar to mine! 205 offers a flexible and experimental style a lot of fun through its flexibility that make diminshing abrasive products like #80, 85RD etc feel just a bit dated and restrictive.
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave KG For This Useful Post:
Brazo (11-06-2009), spitfire (13-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #26
Mr Face

Thanked 1,248 Times in 901 Posts
Garage
Megs 205

Hi Dave, big thanks for your unique and useful insight into Megs 205. As a newbie this was on our list of lust items we had to get and in all honesty have found it not as easy to use until lately and after giving a few samples away and finding out how others with a lot more experienced than us have got the best out of it.

It was put to us in a similar yet very simple way and only now are we getting results all be it they are not yet consistant. Apply to pad and spread at slow speed. Thrash it, at high speed via DA for a few minutes with moderate pressure and then slowly release the pressure and reduce speed to reveal the pefect LSP ready finish.

We now, thanks to you insight will modify this approach slightly and use with a polishing pad and then try that with a finishing pad to see what unfolds.

Thanks again, a thrashing good report

Mike & Jnr
Mr Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #27
Breezy

So Dave how does 205 compare to the other ultimate finishing polish which is Menzerna PO85RD/5RE?
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #28
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 9,809 Times in 3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
So Dave how does 205 compare to the other ultimate finishing polish which is Menzerna PO85RD/5RE?
Far more flexible... 85RD is good, very good, beautiful finishes but its fundamentally limited by its diminshing abraisves... 205 I can vary work time and pressure to vary cut, and finishing ability so I have a polish that will cut as much as 106FA yet finish down if anything sharper than 85RD on soft paints.
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post
Far more flexible... 85RD is good, very good, beautiful finishes but its fundamentally limited by its diminshing abraisves... 205 I can vary work time and pressure to vary cut, and finishing ability so I have a polish that will cut as much as 106FA yet finish down if anything sharper than 85RD on soft paints.
Sounds excellent and whats it like dusting wise?

I need to get a smaple from somewhere!
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #30
yetizone

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,093 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Sounds excellent and whats it like dusting wise?

I need to get a smaple from somewhere!

Samples here ....

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=116323

I just placed and order for a sample and I'm really looking forward to giving it a blast
yetizone is offline   Reply With Quote