Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 13-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #71
MidlandsCarCare
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,880 Times in 3,604 Posts
Don't know why I'm looking at the table... but are they supermarket donuts??
MidlandsCarCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #72
CraigQQ
Pass The Sandpaper. . .

Thanked 4,623 Times in 3,687 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussZS View Post
Don't know why I'm looking at the table... but are they supermarket donuts??
pmsl.. I didn't even see there was a table!!

but yes it says doughnuts on one of the red bags lol..

so alans having the first blonde.. im having the other 3 and russ is having a few doughnuts.. perfect

alan.. why disappoint 1 girl when you can disappoint 3
CraigQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #73
alan_mcc
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,607 Posts
Donuts to go with the baps.
alan_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #74
Reflectology
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Location: Sheffield or there or there abouts....often caught short in the Rainforests of the Shires....
Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,011 Posts
Garage
Calm down fellas, calm down.....

JJ to answer your question about whether Scholl is more abrasive or just cuts quicker than 3m the answer is its new, 3m is old hat and therefore needs older techniques to to get the best out of it, dont get me wrong its a good range but Scholl work wonders on any paint type and with such ease, even the coarse S3 Gold Edition can be used on a finishing pad the polishes are that flexible....as you will find when I post in the Studio later today....

If you want my guide sending over with all the info you need on Scholl just pop over an email and I will get it straight over to you....

Russ
Reflectology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #75
Porta
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Extra fine cut is a good medium polish, I agree. But when we are talking about FC+, remember it can fill a lot. IPA is not enough to remove the fillers, you have to use a paint prepp such as panel wipes, acrysol or a silicon remover.
Porta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porta For This Useful Post:
JJ_ (13-11-2011)
Old 13-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #76
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,176 Posts
Garage
Ok so I played around with the 3m stuff again and about 3/4 different pads. My findings were probably similar to you guys, however, I have a bit of a strange one. The pads where, 3m, hexlogic, lake country and meguiars (old skool).

I have an area of the car which has been refined about 3 + times now and I don't have a paint guage as yet so I was unwilling to fully correct it a fourth time untill I know it's safe.

So I started with a polishing pad and extra fine compound but this really done nothing to my problem, if I used wool then I would be back to a "two-stage" routine again I wasn't really wanting to hit this area twice.

So I was generally just farting about and found that the 3m green pad run at the 1st setting roughly 1000rpm ? on my metabo didn't build up as much heat as my polishing pad and smoothed the edges on some of the problem areas on this panel.

I admit it did take a wee while for everything to break down BUT since the pad wasn't getting as hot as the polishing pad I felt it safer to work with. As I said bit of a weird one, I sold/binned a lot of my other polishes and was actually stuck with that area. I didn't want to glaze it as I was using wolf, but I also didn't want to knock it right back again so this actually worked out quite well for me.

I am just waiting for my scholl stuff now quite excited about that.

I will pop some pictures up of what I acheived today, I managed to smooth many of the RIDS and knock back the wash swirls completely which is my main aim now.

Last edited by JJ_; 13-11-2011 at 05:16 PM.
JJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #77
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Garage
I thought I really owe you guys some pictures of how I got on.

I won't go through the whole procedure, just the polishing.

This was just after I had used chemical guys no-touch snow foam. It had a decent amount of dirt on it.

That is how the car started, I hear on DW so many times people saying this snow foam doesn't work, but here we have a car that hasn't been washed in two weeks and chemicals guys no touch really did help.

After this I just done the usual, 2bm, tar, iron-x (fantastic), hardly anything came off on the clay then a refoam and rinse.

The alloys weren't cleaned at all. Everybody knows I hate cleaning alloys or anything below the body line lol. Very lazy these days.

Just shows how slow this VAG paint can be to refine, still showing some rotary marks. I wanted to try and get the paint as perfect as possible so I went over it AGAIN. This was using a 3m green pad and not finishing it for as long, I started to finish on the green pad and would refine until it was almost like a fine glaze left.

So as per my usual stellar performance, I hurridly went onto another panel and never too an after picture.

I started farting around with the camera a bit, when the flash is engaged the secondary lighting it very much muted, I tend to use a 500w halogen a brinkman and my camera to check my work. The camera lense is probably the less forgiving. The brinkman is good at highlighting the clear defects but they are still not as easy to spot compared to using the camera.

A wee bit of over exposure. Its very difficult to spot product residue I find under flourescent lighting unless you step back whereas the halogen makes it so much easier.

This would have been perfect had my microfibre cloth not been linting, it was a sonus finishing cloth not sure if it was overly static as they are washed seperately dependant of their task. Anyway after some more qd and an almost zorro like hand speed the lint was off.

This was the upper rear quarter I had mentioned, it has two quite severe scratches from a kung fu cat just above the petrol cap and I have knocked these back to soften the edges a few times over various details. So I wasn't too keen on levelling the RIDS so I chose to soften the edges, thankfully only 2/3 can now be viewed only under really harsh lighting which is ok. As it will probably need another full detail around march/april prior to selling it.

Starting to look a bit tasty now.

This was it really pre foam wash to remove the polishing dust.

The bonnet and front bumper was really for the following week but I couldn't help myself

I done a wee test here with the flourescent and a reason I don't really use this type of lighting for product residue. Looks perfect eh, slightly out of focus but good depth etc.

Holy product residue batman! Qd wipedown to get the worst off then an IP wipedown x2.

Foamed, washed, dried, ip wipedown and wolf bodywrapped on the corrected areas.

Thats snow foam from 32 hours prior to that day.

I stilll love my zymol glasur though.

Last edited by JJ_; 14-11-2011 at 11:45 AM.
JJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #78
Allan
Washmitt Meister

You forgot the wheels son
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allan For This Useful Post:
JJ_ (14-11-2011)
Old 14-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #79
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
You forgot the wheels son
I didn't know you were still on this ! The wheels really need a re-furb but I am selling privately i'll get them done, however, if a lovely garage will p/x mine for an M3 then I'll not bother lol.
Old 14-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #80
Allan
Washmitt Meister

haha!

I am still lurking. House + Wife = No time to detail at all
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote