Detailing World Forum banner

Exhaust tips

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  steelghost 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I've fitted a set of Jag XFR quad pipes to my XF S and they look the nuts. They have polished up quite nicely, and I was reading a thread about sealants for the pipes which got me thinking what can I do about the tip on one of the pipes? Looks like its been scraped, possibly from storage as its a 2nd hand set of pipes. Can I simply sand paper the rough edge and polish the metal back to a shine? What would you guys do?

Thanks,

Bob

#2 ·
I suspect it depends on the material the tips are made of and whether they are plated or chromed.

If they have been plated or chromed, then using sand or emery paper could easily go through to the bare metal underneath, the whole part would then need re-plating/chroming.

If they are made of Stainless steel that has been polished then you may get away with a light sanding with a fine emery paper/wet 'n' dry followed by a good doing with a metal polish.

Any chance you could post a photo of the damaged tip ?

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.