Detailing World Forum banner

Mondeo st220 daily driver.

44K views 64 replies 25 participants last post by  coldflame90 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's my st220 I picked up a couple of months ago.

MY2004 pre face lift

Machine silver

Rare sun roof model

50k miles

3 previous owners

Full ford service history

3.0 24v V6

6speed box

Auto headlights

Auto wipers

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Parking sensor

Cruise control

Climate control

Mods

Jp SS cat back exhaust

Pipercross induction kit

Ap coilovers

Mirror polished inlet manifold

Uprated ht leads.

Overall very happy with my purchase needs a full correction detail, currently just wearing AF ultra glaze and illusion.

First job I did to it was fit my polished inlet manifold, took the opportunity to change the plugs and leads at same time.

See less See more
#10 ·
I agree on the interior mate, it's a 55 reg, no mods other than a K&n panel filter, would like to do some other bits but finances tight with two youngsters, hopefully in the near future :thumb: Just concentrate on keeping her looking good for now :thumb:

#13 ·
When your finances allow, I strongly recommend the jp exhaust!! When I bought this st220 it had a milltek which sounded ok. I then swapped it for the jp off my blue one before I sold it because I missed the noise. It's not massively loud but has a lovely rumble and the pops, crackles and bangs are awesome 😁. The build quality of the jp is also excellent. I'll have to get a sound clip of it.

#11 ·
I keep toying with the idea of getting one of these. One of my mates had one back in '03 when they were new and I've loved them ever since. I actually see the exact car for sale on Gumtree a couple of months ago. If it didn't have 180,000 miles on it then I would've considered buying it. You get a lot of car for the money

#23 ·
Update time. A couple of weeks ago I decided to return the front end of the car back to it's original look.

The previous owner had sprayed the upper grill surround gloss black and the lower bumper lip wrapped in gloss black to match.

The wrap was starting to peel and the grill surround stone chipped.

So I ordered a used surround off eBay and sprayed it to match the paint work.

Annoyingly the wrap on the bumper had been tucked behind the lower grill which meant having to remove the front bumper just to get the wrap off!

Pics of before:

After:

Also due to working at the weekends and not having much spare time to my self, I decided to treat the car to a light enhancement detail at a local detailers.

Sorry I don't have any before or after shots only this short walk around video.

#24 ·
Standard silver grill surround looks so much better :thumb:

Earlier on in this thread I mentioned that I was thinking of getting an St220. Well, it happened at the weekend, and here it is

Such a smooth car and they drive so well. Wanted a black one really, but ended up buying this. I hate the colour of the wheels, they look dirty even when they're clean lol Thought they didn't look too bad when I first see it. I want to get them refurbed as soon as I can

#26 · (Edited)
Time for an update. Apologies in advance for the complete lack of photos in the first half of this thread. I had no phone/camera last week but managed to pick up a galaxy S7 this Monday so there's pics later on.

So after having the mondeo detailed i was very happy with how it was looking. However after a few weeks i noticed the performance of the sealant had reduced. The paint work still felt slick and was repelling dirt but both the beading and sheeting seemed to have decreased.
So last weekend Saturday began with the usual wash. Then unusually the weather held off for the rest of the afternoon so i decided to apply some DJ supernatural micro prime by hand with an AF foam applicator. By the time I'd got round the whole car it was getting dark so i packed up for the evening and crossed my fingers for good weather on Sunday.
Sunday arrived and the weather held off long enough for me to apply an lsp. I'd taken advantage of the recent AF Halloween offer and purchased a pot of the new Fusion hybrid wax and had been looking forward to trying it out.
I gave the car a quick wipe down with some QD and moved onto applying the wax. I found fusion a little tricky to apply but im sure it was down to the ambient temp of 6 Celsius. By the time I'd finished waxing it was getting dark and a little damp so i retreated inside and had to wait until the next day to see the results.
Monday was a busy day but I managed to get into town and buy my new phone[emoji1]. The car looked great but i didn't have time for pics.
This brings us up to this weekend and after a weeks worth of driving to and from work thr ST needed a clean...and this time i had a camera[emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji322]

Before

Cleaning method and equipment.
The wheels were first, starting with a pre soak of BH auto foam applied via pump sprayer at 5% then rinsed. followed by a wash with AF revolution using valet pro detailing brushes and a DJ SN wheel mitt then rinsed. Moving onto the body.
BH autofoam was applied to lower half of the car at 5% with a pump sprayer and left to dwell. The whole car was then rinsed followed by BH auto foam being applied to the whole car but this time through a cyc foam cannon.
Whilst the foam dwelled all nooks and crannies were cleaned with VP detailing brushes.
The car was then rinsed again followed buy a two bucket wash with sonax red summer shampoo and a microfiber madness incredimitt. I then sheet rinsed with an open hose and dried with a gyeon silk dryer snd sonus carnuba spritz.
The wheels were dried the same way and the tyres finished with DJ SN tyre dressing.

After

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Update time.
Its a new year and the st has a new set of wheels!
I finally got round to fitting my mk2 frs rims that have been sitting in my garage for two years!
They're 19's fully refurbished and fitted with yokohama v105 tyres.
To get the wheels to fit the mondeo I had to install hubcentric spacers, 20mm on the rear and 15mm up front.
Heres some pics of prepping the hubs ready for the spacers.

With the spacers on the wheels were fitted.
After a short test drive all four wheels were still attached 😉 so i pulled over and took a pic of my mornings work. Hope you like.

Next up will be the fitting of some team heko wind deflectors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.