Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Auto Finesse
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Auto Finesse
Auto Finesse UK DW Supporter

Thanked 6,509 Times in 2,749 Posts
Garage
Imperial - the reviews thread

This thread is here for members of the product test panel to submit reviews, pictures and discuss our new improved wheel cleaner Imperial.

An overview of Imperial and its new improvements:

Neglected alloy wheels with caked on brake dust can be a problem where shampoo just isn’t enough, this is the reason we created Auto Finesse Imperial acid free wheel cleaner in the first place. A powerful blend of cleaning agents and degreasers, Imperial wheel cleaner will start to separate the brake dust and road grime from the wheels on contact.

Although a well established product in our range of car care products, we have made a few tweaks to Imperials formula to make it more effective when cleaning your wheels. The three main changes that we made were; Imperials foaming rate when agitated, its ability to cling for longer and its overall cleaning power, whilst remaining safe on all wheel types, from painted to polished split rims.

Assessing the surface:

Before you start cleaning with the new and improved Imperial formula we recommend that you assess your wheels to help determine the approach you will take. Although this is a small step that is often over looked this could help save you a lot of product when it comes to dilution ratios. Here we are working on a wheel that hasn't been cleaned in a month and has seen a lot of road grime, brake dust, sun and rain from motorway and rural driving. For this wheel we diluted Imperial at the ratio of 1:9 (product:water).

Spray and rinse:

With the new and improved Imperial formula we have developed its ability to cling to dirt for longer. This means that for those weekly washes where your wheels aren't too dirty you can perform a touch-less wash.

As soon as you spray the improved Imperial formula onto your wheel you will see Imperial start to separate the contamination that is sitting on the surface, this will also show off its abilities to cling for longer. This longer cling time will intern mean the cleaning and degreasing surfactants in Imperial are held in contact with the dirt & brake dust longer, making them more effective.

Once you have allowed the product to dwell on your wheels it’s time to rinse away the dirt and contaminates that were on them. Simply grab a pressure washer or garden hose with a spray attachment and rinse away the dirt. Dependant on how dirty your wheels are this could be the last stage on your wheels. The improved cleaning power and clinging abilities are what makes Imperial perfect for those quick and simple weekly washes.

Agitation:

If your wheel needs a little more attention or your car is under going a full detail it may be time to grab your Hog Hair Detailing Brushes to agitate any last grime and dirt away from your wheel.

Here you will see Imperials next improvement, its higher foaming rate.

After much feedback we found that you wanted to see a higher foaming rate from Imperial, and in this new improved formula we believe we have achieved just that. Even after a long dwell time where most wheel cleaners would go flat Imperial will still easily foam up and carry away any dirt or contaminates from your wheels surface.

At this point we used our Hog Hair Brushes and a medium sized wheel woolie to agitate any baked on grime. The Hog Hairs longer bristles came into play, allowing us to access the tighter areas on this particular wheel design.

Don’t forget your tyres:

Although Imperial is regarded as a dedicated alloy wheel cleaner it can also clean your tyres with ease, removing any old tyre dressings and road grime in the process. Simply spray Imperial onto your tyres and agitate any dirt away with a Hog Hair Detailing Brush. Once rinsed away you will be left with a clean base to lay down a tyre dressing such as Satin or Gloss.

The use of Imperial as a wheel and tyre cleaner means that you will not have to lug around two or three products as you will have one that does both jobs.

Once both your wheels and tyres are clean and dry you will be left with a spotless wheel.

We look forward to seeing your results and hearing your views on our new & improved Imperial formula.

Happy detailing,

The AF team.
Auto Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Auto Finesse For This Useful Post:
Dan_Mol (04-07-2014), id_doug (07-07-2014), mattwelcer (03-07-2014), Ns1980 (18-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Dan_Mol
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Look forward to testing, never used imperial as yet so be good to test a new AF product.
Dan_Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
mjracing
Washmitt Meister

Just picked my parcel up...roll on the weekend!
mjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Sim

Fate can sometimes be cruel, but today it's been on my side!

My wheels never get too dirty as they are well protected, but luckily car is in with the dealers for a few bits of work, so today I'm the proud driver of a filthy Corsa... perfect for reviewing the new and improved version of my favourite wheel cleaner

You can see from the before images below it's clear the wheels are in need of a clean. To give imperial a work out I used the ratio from the first post as my guideline, so I measured 30ml of Imperial and added water upto 300ml giving the same 1:9 ratio.

The off side was done with Old Imperial, the near side with New Imperial.

Off Side

Near Side

First I sprayed the wheel generously and left it to work for 30 seconds.

Off Side

Near Side

I agitated using various brushes.

Off Side

Near Side

I then rinsed the wheels with the hosepipe

Off Side

Near Side

Conclusions:

Although it's impossible to see in the pictures New Imperial took longer to start running off the wheel, which means it's clinging on more. This will certainly enhance the cleaning power.

Also I noticed that after agitating the foaming of Old Imperial disappeared quicker leading to it drying out. This needed further agitation to ensure a clean surface when rinsing. New imperial seemed to foam up better which eliminated this problem

Finally the smell is slightly nicer. Not a deal breaker, but it's never a bad thing

Would I buy New Imperial? Yes when my current supply has run out!

Is it better than the previous version? Yes I think so, it clings better and foams up better when agitated

Another great product, thanks for the opportunity to review it!

PS please excuse the dirty car... I'm not cleaning that for them!
Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sim For This Useful Post:
Auto Finesse (03-07-2014), chrisgreen (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Danman
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Is this wax or sealant safe?
Danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Mini devil
PC Perfectionist

Garage
When's this going to be available any dates yet?
Mini devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Scrim-1-
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,320 Times in 2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman View Post
No mate.
Scrim-1- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrim-1- For This Useful Post:
Danman (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
Dan_Mol

Thanks to AF for sending out the sample of Imperial to test, got it today and set about testing it tonight.

I have never used original imperial before so can't compare like for like and I have been put off buying it as I love Bilberry wheel cleaner and for some strange reason I thought imperial was already mixed like iron out.

So initial response was ooooh I can dilute it, which I did at about 5:1 as that's what I mix my Bilberry at.

Dirty Wheels:

My A3 wheels get neglected, as every time I clean them I realise how much they need a refurb which can't justify at moment

So I set about giving imperial a good spray over the wheel and tyre, before agitating with brushes and wheel woollies.

Gave them a rinse with hose

I then tried the front wheel with caked on brake dust in the barrel

Quick spray of Imperial

One wipe with the woollies

Which left this, not perfect but very impressive dirt removal...

Tried to get a 50/50 to show just how much one wipe removed...

Dried and dressed tyres with Satin

Put my car back in garage and thought I better do the other half's car and be rude not to get pics while camera was out

I'll be honest, I wanted not to like this product as I'm a huge fan of Bilberry like I said earlier, maybe that's the reason I never knew it could be diluted down.

Its very easy to use, I used appox 400ml mixed at 5:1 to do 8 very dirty wheels, dirt was removed with minimal effort. I did find as I got going, if you spray a wheel, while cleaning the other give it 5mins to work its magic it foams up better and works VERY well.

I have 5L of wheel cleaner currently but once I get my way through that or give it away, would I buy Imperial....... YES will no doubt buy a 5L bottle when I next require some.

If could change one thing, be nice if was a bit thicker so clings to the wheel better, maybe hard to do with a product which can be diluted.

Overall verdict - IMPRESSED!
Dan_Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dan_Mol For This Useful Post:
Auto Finesse (03-07-2014), Bartl (04-07-2014), damocell (03-07-2014), Danman (03-07-2014), Joech92 (03-07-2014), Jonnybbad (05-07-2014), Sim (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Auto Finesse
Auto Finesse UK DW Supporter

Thanked 6,509 Times in 2,749 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman View Post
Hi Dan its a good question,

When diluted down the formula will still be wax and sealant safe. This makes it perfect for wheels protected with Mint Rims.

Joe
Auto Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Auto Finesse For This Useful Post:
Bartl (04-07-2014), chrisgreen (03-08-2014), Danman (20-07-2014), Ns1980 (18-07-2014), slineclean (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Suba
Orbital Oracle

Imperial - the reviews thread

Ok, perhaps a stupid question but I have stainless steel (or chrome plated?) wheel nuts - will Imperial be ok on these (particularly at higher strengths)?
Suba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto finesse, imperial, wheel cleaner