Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #71
s70rjw
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Great thread and progress. Looking forward to the updates..
s70rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s70rjw For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #72
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Loving this, think I would’ve bought similar if I didn’t have mine pop up so conveniently! Looks like a good base to work from and eagerly awaiting updates
JoranRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (05-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #73
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,644 Posts
Garage
As I'm putting more miles on the car and getting to know it better you start noticing things....good and bad.

One thing that has only just started happening and it would be my luck, the car is starting to produce smoke from the exhaust. It's only doing it when sat idling, sometimes it smokes more than others. Immediately that rang alarm bells as that is typical of failing valve stem seals. Just what I need, considering it wasn't doing it when I went to see it, and all the way back...why has it started now

You can't do the Valve Seals in these like you can the V8s of the same Era, there is a special tool someone made for them as they are known for it...for the M54B30 engine mine has...cam shafts have to come out...

However....the car isn't using coolant or oil, not any amount I can tell so far, I had a sniff of the exhaust fumes...smelt like quite strong petrol fumes...So I fired up the Torque App with my Bluetooth OBD Dongle to see if I could spot anything.

The fuel trim is bouncing around -11 to -14 on idle. A normal range should be sat between -3 to +3. This is good as it's more than likely something pretty simple. Apparently it has to max out at -20 before it'll throw up the Engine Management Light.

So the smoking...should be due to over fuelling...more than likely...a vacuum issue. There does seem to be a quite a vacuum whilst idling, I had a job taking off the oil filler cap as it was being sucked down, there should be some suck but I don't know how much.

A list of potential 'Easy' things..

- Crank Case Ventilation Valve (CCV) - Absolutely Notorious on this era of BMWs. Mine has no documentation for being replaced only that the 'Pipes' were cleaned out 30k miles ago. The pipes split, degrade and also get blocked. The Valve itself wears out, gets stuck open...closed...half way and causes vacuum problems and oil consumption depending on how it's failed.

- Inlet manifold gasket...they just dry and crack and fail with age.

- Rocker Gasket - same as above but it's been changed 3 times in the history for leaking so unlikely.

- Sump Gasket.

- Various intake pipes.

- MAF.

- DISA Valve (you can get a rebuild kit for this).

- Cam Shaft Sensor or Crankshaft.

A nice list but all pale in comparison to having to deal with removing camshafts and timing chains etc.

I decided to see if there were any fault codes stored, i assumed there wouldn't be any because no engine management light...I was wrong. There is a fault code for 'intermittent' Cam Shaft Sensor. Aha!

Again quite common to fail on these at this age but also that any brand that is not OEM...just isn't good enough for the system on the car. This has 2 Camshaft Sensors..basically £100 each for genuine Siemens. So need to try and work out which one is giving me jip.

I'll be replacing the CCV anyway due to the age of it and go from there really.

As per my thread in the motoring section, I really don't like the LEDs a previous owner has put in. They are a horrid blue light that I don't personally think looks good in any car.

Best pics I could get in such low light...

I now know what size and type of bulbs I need to get. So watch this space

One thing that really wasn't working and was risky on the MOT, were the rear number plate bulbs, LED festoon bulbs had been fitted but as they were one sided with a heat sink on them, they just spin around with the heavy heat sink facing down so didn't illuminate the plate...at all!

You can just see a very very very very small spread of light...(notice how bright the sidelights are)

Looking directly at the light unit...again a nasty blue colour...

The offending bulbs... They only have 3 LEDs on them, even the loathsome interior ones have 6! These weren't suitable on any planet...

So...I am replacing them with these

The old bulb holders simply pop out and these are a direct error free swap.

One in... with the other side still wearing one of those bulbs.

Both in... (Please excuse the dirty paintwork and weeds in the Garden, it is Friday and...it is winter ). Also to note, with the naked eye...you can see the number plate really clearly, the camera just washes out so can't see the reg.

I see brand new cars illuminating the road behind them....now I can join in

And one with shutter speeded right up to catch the detail of the rear sidelight 'light pipes' love it

Bit by bit...I will get this car perfect.

Last edited by Starbuck88; 08-03-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (09-03-2018), hoggers (09-03-2018), SBM (09-03-2018), slim_boy_fat (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #74
slim_boy_fat

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,031 Posts
What colour is the 'smoke'? It might simply be condensation from the exhaust system in the cold weather. My 528 used to do this and frightened the living daylights out of me when I first noticed it, but there was nothing wrong.

Camshaft sensor(s) failing - again a common problem and mine would intermittently run like a bag of spanners under acceleration until replaced.

Liking your improvements with the lights [those number plate ones are as good as any reversing light ], keep up the good work.
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slim_boy_fat For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #75
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,125 Times in 3,745 Posts
Garage
Brill update, chum. Where did you get the replacement number plate led units?

They look really well.

N

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #76
SBM

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,682 Posts
Garage
Brilliant thread Starbuck88
Just read it through from start and sub'd. Keep up the great work, as you say, bit by bit you are getting it perfect
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SBM For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (10-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #77
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,644 Posts
Garage
Well.... just done an 800 mile round trip! Apart from being thirsty she behave impeccably apart from one small thing.

The day after I put the number plate lights in...it kept throwing an error up, check number plate lights whenever I turned the ignition off. I just thought oh well they're LED so voltage isn't quite right. (even though they should be error free).

Well...on the way back home on the motorway...I got warnings for every light...Check Rear Brake Lights, Check Rear Fog Lights, The indicators were flashing really fast like a bulb on them had even gone, then it started with the fronts... Check High Beam...Check Front Fog Lights..

It was about dusk so I needed the lights on but couldn't tell if they were actually on or not! So pulled over and had a look...all the lights were on and working fine...except one of my new LED Numberplate Units was off.

So I swapped both of them back to the originals made sure the bulbs where rotated in the right way and all was well...

Such a small thing but caused such a palaver on the motorway as I was worried I had no lights on!
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (13-03-2018), SBM (13-03-2018), slim_boy_fat (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #78
Bazza85
Washmitt Meister

Glad all is sorted.
I was going to PM you regarding which lights you bought as one of mine has failed on my 6 series.
Wanted to check about canbus friendly & if they bring any dash lights on or flicker etc.
Guess now I know to just stick with oem lol!
Great thread though chief
Bazza85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza85 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #79
Arvi
PC Perfectionist

I've found LEDs for BMWs are very hit and miss. Even some of the CANBUS ones are not error free ! My rear number plate lights now seem ok, but the car has issues with the side lights. I am going back to candle lights soon as I've grazed enough fingers trying to change them !
Arvi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arvi For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (13-03-2018)
Old 13-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #80
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,761 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
Other than internal lights I just don't think it's worth it. Imagine if you had an accident as a result of your lights not working properly, because of some electrical gremlin due to led lights....
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (13-03-2018)