Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Njs71
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Business funding questionÖÖ How & Where.

The story so farÖ

Recently I had a heart attack after I somehow got an infection in my heart. The place I work (im a prison officer) was very nearly the last place I got to see. Not a nice thought!

The whole experience has made me re evaluate my life some what. I consider myself fairly lucky in the fact I have a nice car, good job and a nice chunk of equity in my house but it means nothing to me now. Iíve never been blessed with having children so I donít have the usual things (weddings, grandchildren etc) to keep me satisfied.

Iíve had a dream for a lot of years now to run my own carp lake in France and Iíve found myself seriously looking into it now. Iím not talking of just having a muddy hole in the ground, oh no, I dream of offering a real carp anglers paradise. A real fishing venue that people want to come to year after year. Somewhere that caters not just for fisherman but their wives and children also.

I think Iíve found just the place. Trouble is itís a tad above my budget

If I sold everything I own I can get together around £225k ish.

The fishing part of the business Iíve found earns in excess of 200k a year with scope for at least another 50k. It also comes with a nice house and several other buildings so scope for further income from rental.

So to my question How do I raise funding? I need to raise 500k!!

So are there any business gurus that can point me in the right direction?
Njs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Njs71 For This Useful Post:
hoggers (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
davies20
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Obvious one is shareholders I would imagine for a certain % of the business/profit.
davies20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davies20 For This Useful Post:
Njs71 (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
MDC250
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,441 Times in 2,681 Posts
Not a response on your question but have you been watching A New Life in the Sun on C4? Guy and his Mrs bought a lake, land and property and struck me that they were going to do very well out of it. Wish you all the best in getting your venture up and running
MDC250 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDC250 For This Useful Post:
Njs71 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
andy665

Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,987 Posts
Firstly - hope you are better now

Secondly- well done on re-evaluating your life and priorities

Could you not consider some kind of crowd- funding with shares being issued - this is the kind of venture I'd give serious thought to sinking a couple of K into
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
Njs71 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Njs71
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davies20 View Post
Obvious one is shareholders I would imagine for a certain % of the business/profit.
I hadnít thought of that I have to say. Certainly something Iím going to look into. Dragons den style. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC250 View Post
Not a response on your question but have you been watching A New Life in the Sun on C4? Guy and his Mrs bought a lake, land and property and struck me that they were going to do very well out of it. Wish you all the best in getting your venture up and running
Yes Iíve always watch these programs, even more so now. Thank you for the best wishes. Hope I can realise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
Firstly - hope you are better now

Secondly- well done on re-evaluating your life and priorities

Could you not consider some kind of crowd- funding with shares being issued - this is the kind of venture I'd give serious thought to sinking a couple of K into
Iím on the mend now yes, thank you. Itís a slow steady road to full recovery.

A near death experience certainly makes you aware of what is and isnít important in life.

I have thought of crowd funding but have yet to get a proper handle on it. Itís certainly something Iím looking into more seriously now.
davies20 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Caledoniandream

To turn dreams into realistic expectations, start with the basics.
Build a sustainable business plan, with real life figures, investigate your options.
Do a market research he , visit possible projects in France, document everything, and realise that you donít make any for years to come.
Donít loose interest and build a proper project before you put big amounts of money on the line.
It can be done, I seen it done, I seen other projects, a guy who build a moterbike experience in Portugal, a B&B in Lombok Indonesia the world is your oyster.

I have seen it also collapse, many times because the dream was not all what they thought it would be.
Seen people building bars in Spain and lost their fortune in a year, because they didnít realise that you have to work when other people are off, and you need to make your money in 6 months of the year.

Donít let it put you off, but start by building solid foundations to build your business on.
Stay healthy and live your dream!
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
Njs71 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Njs71
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
To turn dreams into realistic expectations, start with the basics.
Build a sustainable business plan, with real life figures, investigate your options.
Do a market research he , visit possible projects in France, document everything, and realise that you donít make any for years to come.
Donít loose interest and build a proper project before you put big amounts of money on the line.
It can be done, I seen it done, I seen other projects, a guy who build a moterbike experience in Portugal, a B&B in Lombok Indonesia the world is your oyster.

I have seen it also collapse, many times because the dream was not all what they thought it would be.
Seen people building bars in Spain and lost their fortune in a year, because they didnít realise that you have to work when other people are off, and you need to make your money in 6 months of the year.

Donít let it put you off, but start by building solid foundations to build your business on.
Stay healthy and live your dream!

Thank you for the input. You are right with what you say. Go into things without proper research and failure can soon follow. As they used to say to us in the military. Fail to prepare....Prepare to fail. Never truer words spoken.

Iím over to view the place next week and Iíll be pouring over the books etc. I have a file (getting larger by the day) that Iím keeping all my research in, facts, figures, names, places and Iíve made contact with several companies with regards to supples, travel, advertising etc. Iím starting to get a fair amount of info now so Iíll be able to do a comprehensive business plan. The way Iím working is doing my calculations on minimum income with maximum outgoings. Iím working it out on a 7 month year which is the main season timescale for what I want. I also plan (if Iím successful with this) to plough every penny into it for at least the first 3 years to get a solid foundation for the business.

Iím very early days but think Iím covering most things. Advise and ideas from people on places like this is great as it highlights things I might miss.

Very exciting times and I really hope I can pull it off
Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
ardandy
Eco-Warrior

Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,354 Posts
If it’s a solid provable business plan, won’t a bank lend you money?
ardandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ardandy For This Useful Post:
Njs71 (10-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Fentum

Thanked 1,445 Times in 834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njs71 View Post
Thank you for the input. You are right with what you say. Go into things without proper research and failure can soon follow. As they used to say to us in the military. Fail to prepare....Prepare to fail. Never truer words spoken.

Iím over to view the place next week and Iíll be pouring over the books etc. I have a file (getting larger by the day) that Iím keeping all my research in, facts, figures, names, places and Iíve made contact with several companies with regards to supples, travel, advertising etc. Iím starting to get a fair amount of info now so Iíll be able to do a comprehensive business plan. The way Iím working is doing my calculations on minimum income with maximum outgoings. Iím working it out on a 7 month year which is the main season timescale for what I want. I also plan (if Iím successful with this) to plough every penny into it for at least the first 3 years to get a solid foundation for the business.

Iím very early days but think Iím covering most things. Advise and ideas from people on places like this is great as it highlights things I might miss.

Very exciting times and I really hope I can pull it off
Njs71,

I hope you can pursue your dream.

Nothing much I can add to the advice you've had and I don't want to pee on your chips but I strongly recommend that you read very carefully any information you can get on the costs and burdens of running a small business in France. (BTW, I've lived in France and speak French fluently.)

The term 'bum rape" does not even begin to cover what the State/local authority demands in taxes, social contributions, licences, permits etc. And the paperwork! There is a reason why 750,000 entrepreneurial French people live in Britain.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of Brits making a perfectly good living in France but none is praising the low levels of tax and bureaucracy! Is there a Franco-British association/chamber of commerce in the region you have in mind. They might be a useful port of call.

Do you speak/write French? The more remote you are, the more likely it will be that you will have to speak with people who have no/little English.

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fentum For This Useful Post:
Njs71 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
Njs71
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
Njs71,

I hope you can pursue your dream.

Nothing much I can add to the advice you've had and I don't want to pee on your chips but I strongly recommend that you read very carefully any information you can get on the costs and burdens of running a small business in France. (BTW, I've lived in France and speak French fluently.)

The term 'bum rape" does not even begin to cover what the State/local authority demands in taxes, social contributions, licences, permits etc. And the paperwork! There is a reason why 750,000 entrepreneurial French people live in Britain.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of Brits making a perfectly good living in France but none is praising the low levels of tax and bureaucracy! Is there a Franco-British association/chamber of commerce in the region you have in mind. They might be a useful port of call.

Do you speak/write French? The more remote you are, the more likely it will be that you will have to speak with people who have no/little English.

Peter

Yes I understand the bureaucracy but thatís just the French way and it doesnít put me off at all.

As for the tax system you just have to get a good accountant then it is pretty much on par with the uk now as France is trying to attract business from abroad. It all depends what you set up as to begin with Micro, SAS, SARL etc each have there perks and pitfalls. Choose the wrong one and youíll get hammered.
I suppose it pays to do your homework. Which I intend to do.

Do I speak or write French? Bugger..You got me there, not really, short of the usual school learned stuff. Itís certainly a challenge that Iíll be rising to. When in Rome n all that. My partner speak fairly good French and she has French friends so if we pull this off I think weíll get by. I wonít be doing the usual British thing though. Iíll be actively learning to speak fluent French as I want to integrate properly.

Ive not heard of the Franco-British association, thanks for the heads up with that. What is it? Similar to the local Marie?

Thank you for your input, itís good not to have rose tinted specs on all the time lol.
Fentum (10-04-2018)