Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Money And Business Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Money And Business Zone All things money related, Savings, Finance, Pensions ,Insurance, Mortgages and more,

Old 05-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #501
empsburna
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m500dpp View Post
Hargreaves Lansdowne now have live share price updates.........TSB IPO is seemingly well received by brokers at the moment.
Just registered my interest with them.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #502
m500dpp

anyone subscribe to the Motley Fool share advice service? It's £200 a year but may be good value for me as I have a fairly big pension pot to manage.....would appreciate anyone's experience.
m500dpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #503
jamest
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
I set up a portfolio to keep track of one of their recommendations last year (think it was across 5-6 companies). Down 8%.
jamest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #504
m500dpp

thanks, i'll stick to my own research and share picks!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #505
staffordian
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
anyone subscribe to the Motley Fool share advice service? It's £200 a year but may be good value for me as I have a fairly big pension pot to manage.....would appreciate anyone's experience.
Having been a "Fool" since 2000, I think it's sad that what set out as a forum to 'Educate, Amuse and Enrich' now appears most keen to enrich itself.

I realise it has to make money in order to survive, but frankly, if you have a fair sized pot to invest then I would advise deciding on your appetite to risk and read a range of boards at Motley Fool to come up with your own ideas.

IMHO the problem with any tipping service is that if the shares tipped are big mainstream companies, you are paying good money for nothing, because all the relevant information is out there already and it doesn't take an expert to know which FTSE100 companies are likely to pay a good dividend and give you a diversified portfolio.

On the other hand, if the tipping service flags up AIM shares or other small cap companies, then you are in for a roller coaster ride, not something I'd want for my hard earned pension pot.

Chasing the elusive ten bagger is all well and good, but there will inevitably be plenty of disappointments on the way.

I've said it before here. I firmly believe that the least risk free way of making money with equities is to buy a portfolio of at least fifteen, preferably a few more, good FTSE100 companies (and some from the 250) which have a good history of paying rising dividends, and hold them for the long term. Ignore the inevitable rises and falls in capital value, focus on the dividend income, which you re-invest in similar shares until such time as you retire. Then when you retire, keep the shares but spend the dividends (keeping some back as a reserve if possible, to smooth out the inevitable leaner times such as we've had until recently.

Plenty of advice on The Fool and elsewhere if you search for HYP or High Yield Portfolio.

Having criticised their tipping service, I will say that I support them to an extent by using their share dealing service for my ISA and Sharedealing account. It's a re-badged version of the Halifax Service, which I'd previously used, and I have no complaints with either.
staffordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #506
m500dpp

Quote:
I've said it before here. I firmly believe that the least risk free way of making money with equities is to buy a portfolio of at least fifteen, preferably a few more, good FTSE100 companies (and some from the 250) which have a good history of paying rising dividends, and hold them for the long term. Ignore the inevitable rises and falls in capital value, focus on the dividend income, which you re-invest in similar shares until such time as you retire. Then when you retire, keep the shares but spend the dividends (keeping some back as a reserve if possible, to smooth out the inevitable leaner times such as we've had until recently.
Just what I have done, I have shares in 10 FTSE 100 companies, all top divi payers with most representing no more than to 2% of the pot. I have invested in 5 funds, one small cap, one Japan, one asia and two in the UK. I have further money to invest which I will do this week.

Just a word of caution with funds, check to see the main companies that are invested in, it's easy to find that the fund invests heavily in shares you already hold so you end up with an unwanted concentration. AJ Bell/Youinvest have an xray facility that does this for you.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #507
staffordian
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Just what I have done, I have shares in 10 FTSE 100 companies, all top divi payers with most representing no more than to 2% of the pot. I have invested in 5 funds, one small cap, one Japan, one asia and two in the UK.
I can see some benefits in a few funds, especially overseas biased ones, especially if you are wholly dependant on the pot to provide your income.

I'm retired but in the fortunate position of having a final salary pension which provides for the bulk of my bills and regular outgoings. I've still got nearly a decade before I get my state pension though. Because of my pretty comfortable pension safety net I don't personally feel the added diversification of funds is worth it for me, so my aim is for around fifty percent of my capital in equities and the rest in cash ISAs or fixed rate savings etc.
staffordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #508
gtechpete
Gtechniq UK

Fingers on the button to Sell Val today if the price is right. Cracking RNS today should see it over bought.
gtechpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #509
lambchop16v
Washmitt Meister

Anybody have shares in lloyds? Interested to see what happens with there share price when they sell TSB.
lambchop16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #510
m500dpp

I have some Lloyds. their profit doubled last year and they will be paying a divi again soon. Good medium term play I think:

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-se...share-research