Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Gtechniq
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gtechniq Gtechniq was founded by quantum physicist Drew Gill in 2001, out of a total dissatisfaction with the performance of paint protection products at the time. Everything from waxes, to new-fangled polymers and PTFE based miracle treatments, nothing on the market offered any meaningful durability, either in looks, or protection. Worse still, he found that most of the products actually performed poorer than the paints they were supposed to protect. From this discontent came a simple idea, ‘To engineer the world’s most beautiful, perfectly finished, smartest and most intelligent surfaces. Surfaces that do much more than simply look great when new.’

Old 16-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #31
garycha
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSkill View Post
Hi Frayz, might be good to be clear what you started with as i'm not sure the base gTechniq Platinum consists of an EXO coating, I thought it was a Crystal Coat. But depends what was done originally.

The best hydrophobicity will be with EXO, if that is what you are after.

That's why I suggested IPA (or panel wipe) to get back to the Crystal Coat in it's barest state, and then if you wont do EXO after that (I would personally even if outside) then coat with C2.
This makes good sense. I wasn't sure if Platinum included Exo. Exo does have best water phobocity IME. But C2V3 is still very good.

I am surprised that Gtechniq have not commented (unless I missed) on 1. What is in Platinum (exo etc), and what to do if you are not happy. Seems basic requirement.

@Frayz, do yer trip to IoM. come back, deep clean (again). APC, agitate. Fallout remover (agitate). Then panel Wipe or IPA. Your base coating should then be 'free'.

Applying Exo outside is for the brave. And curing it outside is risky (water spots). I'd shy away from this option. Done it a few times but only on selected panels as opposed to whole car.

or just apply neat C2 (again) on clean paint. It's good stuff, easy to apply and VFM.

You could then leave it until mid life maybe pro single stage refine then Exo.
garycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #32
frayz
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycha View Post
This makes good sense. I wasn't sure if Platinum included Exo. Exo does have best water phobocity IME. But C2V3 is still very good.

I am surprised that Gtechniq have not commented (unless I missed) on 1. What is in Platinum (exo etc), and what to do if you are not happy. Seems basic requirement.

@Frayz, do yer trip to IoM. come back, deep clean (again). APC, agitate. Fallout remover (agitate). Then panel Wipe or IPA. Your base coating should then be 'free'.

Applying Exo outside is for the brave. And curing it outside is risky (water spots). I'd shy away from this option. Done it a few times but only on selected panels as opposed to whole car.

or just apply neat C2 (again) on clean paint. It's good stuff, easy to apply and VFM.

You could then leave it until mid life maybe pro single stage refine then Exo.
All sounds plausable, thanks again for your input.

I just realised i havent actually posted any pics of it, here it is. (wont let me post pics into the chat box for soem bizare reason )

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fray...tml?sort=3&o=6

Last edited by frayz; 16-05-2018 at 01:42 PM.
frayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #33
garycha
PC Perfectionist

Nice car BTW!

Here's how Exo and C2 should look and bead:

My previous (written off)

This was after 18 months, with a decontamination wash (as described) and then C2V3 over the Exo

I did DA just the bonnet and reapplied Exo (outside).

Overall beading was still superb 19 months after CS/Exo applied. I assume Platinum is similar quality and would expect no less performance.

garycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #34
frayz
Washmitt Meister

Not even close to that level of performance!!
Old 16-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #35
gtechrob
Gtechniq UK

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,855 Posts
sorry - totally missed this thread.

we have started putting this info into the packs to explain a little about the differences between the dealer product and detailer product.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QB...mCy1pLyWl41svL

and this wash guide

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12D...SM1bQoEu_XtPD1

Will Adam to jump on this thread in the am.

But hopefully that doc re the beading explains a little on that.
Old 17-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #36
frayz
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtechrob View Post
sorry - totally missed this thread.

we have started putting this info into the packs to explain a little about the differences between the dealer product and detailer product.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QB...mCy1pLyWl41svL

and this wash guide

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12D...SM1bQoEu_XtPD1

Will Adam to jump on this thread in the am.

But hopefully that doc re the beading explains a little on that.
Thank you Rob,

Any info/assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. The appplication for EXO clearly states to be kept dry for a minimum of 12 hours which means almost no chance of me doing this outside?
Old 17-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #37
gtechadam
Washmitt Meister

Hi Frayz,

The bodywork coating in the Platinum kit is called crystal coat and sits between our CSL and CSU in terms of protection.

We engineered crystal coat to offer the protection and quick application for the dealerships but is not as hydrophobic as others, for this you need our EXO or C2.

C2 can be applied outdoors but we do recommend applying EXO indoors and leaving to cure for 12 hours for best results. Either way you could perform a thorough wash, gentle polish, Panel Wipe and then top up.

Adam
gtechadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #38
frayz
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtechadam View Post
Hi Frayz,

The bodywork coating in the Platinum kit is called crystal coat and sits between our CSL and CSU in terms of protection.

We engineered crystal coat to offer the protection and quick application for the dealerships but is not as hydrophobic as others, for this you need our EXO or C2.

C2 can be applied outdoors but we do recommend applying EXO indoors and leaving to cure for 12 hours for best results. Either way you could perform a thorough wash, gentle polish, Panel Wipe and then top up.

Adam
Thank you Adam,

Other than getting wet. If i were to choose a nice weatehr day, is there any reason as to why i could not apply EXO outside if i were to do it panel by panel?
Old 17-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #39
gtechadam
Washmitt Meister

Hi,

We wouldn't recommend it but if you wanted to do it this way then you would be best to get up early, prepare the surface and then apply EXOv3 in one go (in small sections no larger than half a large panel). so the entire bodywork is coated.

There are several reasons why we would not recommend applying in this way

- weather conditions can change quickly (especially in the U.K)
- water may drip out of crevices whilst applying and cause issues as it has not had enough time to fully dry.
- dust and other contaminates can sit on the coating whilst it is still curing
- Direct sun or bright weather conditions can sometimes 'bleach out' any smearing and high spots that you may not see. (We recommend diffused lighting when working with coatings)
- if too warm then the coating will flash off quicker so work in smaller sections.

If you did decide to coat and after a couple of hours the weather changed, just go around quickly with some C2 which will protect the EXO coating whilst curing and prevent it from getting wet too soon. If all goes well and you are happy with the results then just leave the vehicle to cure in the sun nicely
gtechadam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtechadam For This Useful Post:
frayz (17-05-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #40
frayz
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtechadam View Post
Hi,

We wouldn't recommend it but if you wanted to do it this way then you would be best to get up early, prepare the surface and then apply EXOv3 in one go (in small sections no larger than half a large panel). so the entire bodywork is coated.

There are several reasons why we would not recommend applying in this way

- weather conditions can change quickly (especially in the U.K)
- water may drip out of crevices whilst applying and cause issues as it has not had enough time to fully dry.
- dust and other contaminates can sit on the coating whilst it is still curing
- Direct sun or bright weather conditions can sometimes 'bleach out' any smearing and high spots that you may not see. (We recommend diffused lighting when working with coatings)
- if too warm then the coating will flash off quicker so work in smaller sections.

If you did decide to coat and after a couple of hours the weather changed, just go around quickly with some C2 which will protect the EXO coating whilst curing and prevent it from getting wet too soon. If all goes well and you are happy with the results then just leave the vehicle to cure in the sun nicely
Thank you Adam, very helpful.
Perhaps i'll call this plan B and attempt to blag a mates garage for the day
What would you reccomened my preparation process be before applying the EXO?