Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk Ė | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 16-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
dannygdesigns
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Where am I going wrong? Polish everywhere!!

I am new to machine polishing, used it 3 times now and got some real pleasing results from some damage I occurred on my bonnet from a magnetic sign flying off a van on the motorway hitting my front end. I watched forensic detailing YouTube and he said purchase the green hex cg pads so thatís what I did, my neighbour also gave me some Scholl s20 1 step compound which forensic also said to use as a beginner.

I shake the bottle as it feels a bit clumpy and watery, as I go to put a few dollops on the pad I get quite a bit of watery liquid come out. Do I need to shake the bottle even more or does polish go out of date?

So after spreading it on the section of the panel with speed 1 I crank it up to 3, after no more than a few minutes it starts spraying polish everywhere, it wasnít funny at the time but I canít stop laughing now hope no one saw but anyway as the purple/white polish was spraying up the sides of the car I was trying to turn it off but couldnít so had to take it off the panel, now Iím getting a Face full of polish itís spraying In the air, all over my drive while Iím fighting trying to turn it off. Anyway finally turned it off and cleaned up as best as I could. It was really hard to buff off the car very grabby and dry.

Where am I going wrong? Too much product on the pad ? Bottle not shaken enough? Help would be greatly appreciated.
dannygdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
nbray67
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,750 Posts
Garage
I'm no expert by any stretch but when I use my DA I dab the pad across the section of panel I'm polishing to spread the polish out.

I then start up the DA and make the required passes across/along the panel area that I've dabbed/spread the polish on.

Others with more experience will be along soon to advise for sure.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
dannygdesigns (17-05-2018)
Old 16-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,464 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Not having experience with scholl but what you describe sounds like itís been sat for a long while and possibly separated in the bottle. Think it can be resurrected by heating a little (I placed mine in a jug of very hot water) and a constant stirring/ shaking thatís what Iíve done with a few of my old polishes. I would say going on your explanation (and pictures in my head). You may of over applied the polish to a dry pad. Did you prime the pad first either with a spray with some qd or by adding a smell amount of polish and smudging it into the pad? Then only about 3-4 pea sized drops(depending on pad size) evenly spaced over the pad is all thatís required per section your working on.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
dannygdesigns (16-05-2018)
Old 16-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
dannygdesigns
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
I'm no expert by any stretch but when I use my DA I dab the pad across the section of panel I'm polishing to spread the polish out.

I then start up the DA and make the required passes across/along the panel area that I've dabbed/spread the polish on.

Others with more experience will be along soon to advise for sure.
Thanks mate. Thatís exactly what I do too and like it showed on the video but the consistency is very watery when dabbing on the section I was working. Working with it on speed 1 certainly spread it over the section but as it was worked in further and I increased the speed thatís when it started throwing it everywhere.
Old 16-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
dannygdesigns
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGWRX02 View Post
Not having experience with scholl but what you describe sounds like itís been sat for a long while and possibly separated in the bottle. Think it can be resurrected by heating a little (I placed mine in a jug of very hot water) and a constant stirring/ shaking thatís what Iíve done with a few of my old polishes. I would say going on your explanation (and pictures in my head). You may of over applied the polish to a dry pad. Did you prime the pad first either with a spray with some qd or by adding a smell amount of polish and smudging it into the pad? Then only about 3-4 pea sized drops(depending on pad size) evenly spaced over the pad is all thatís required per section your working on.
It was definitely seperated in the bottle I could feel it as I shook it but with me not being familiar with it I thought it was normal. Il try and heat it and shake it for longer next time, I put some blobs on the pad then smudged it in with my finger it soaked it straight up then I put a few more blobs on top maybe I put too much on I was only working on a tiny section.
Old 16-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Andy from Sandy

I am trying to remember but I think some S20 I had separated whilst sat on the shelf and it wasn't there long. I contacted Scholl and they sent me another bottle.

The bottle I have now has sat all winter and has not separated.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:
Old 17-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
pxr5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygdesigns View Post
So after spreading it on the section of the panel with speed 1 I crank it up to 3, after no more than a few minutes it starts spraying polish everywhere, it wasnít funny at the time but I canít stop laughing now hope no one saw but anyway as the purple/white polish was spraying up the sides of the car I was trying to turn it off but couldnít so had to take it off the panel, now Iím getting a Face full of polish itís spraying In the air, all over my drive while Iím fighting trying to turn it off.
I think your problem has been resovled by others, but sorry, I did laugh out load when I read this.

Good luck next time in your polishing endeavours though.
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pxr5 For This Useful Post:
Old 17-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
dannygdesigns
Washmitt Meister

Garage

Tried the bottle in some warm water and shook it until my arm went dead still no luck sounded very watery and clumpy inside so poured it out into a jug to see what it looked like. I'm guessing this isn't how its supposed to look?

I did as Andy mentioned, emailed Scholl and got a reply this morning from a UK representative and cannot fault them to be honest, said she's going to get a new bottle out to me apparently there was an issue with a batch a long time ago after they had some new mixing equipment in the production plant that was overheating the mix and causing it to split.

Tried some SRP today on my b pillars and again really happy how they turned out. Enjoying just practising on spot sections of the car which has some marring to get the hang of things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannygdesigns For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (17-05-2018), stealthwolf (18-05-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,363 Times in 4,445 Posts
That's great customer service that good news
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
dannygdesigns (17-05-2018), stealthwolf (18-05-2018)
Old 19-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
Itstony
Washmitt Meister

Danny .... "Stir with knife, stir up strife"
Only if you are superstitious of course.
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote