Detailing World Forum banner

Mustang GT Project

58K views 133 replies 57 participants last post by  Alfa male 
#1 · (Edited)
So 2018 is a big birthday year for me so I realised one of my dreams and treated myself to a brand new Mustang GT.

My original plan was to to get the new MY18 model with the epic 10 speed auto but when I priced up all the must have options it's was north of ÂŁ52k.

So instead I opted for the limited Shadow Edition model, which I love.

Day one car gets delivered down from Bradford and arrives at 8.30pm so I had to wait until the next day to see it in the light and first clean.

I asked for the car not to have the dealer prep and wraps left in place. Sadly I managed to get them to only go part way with this but here we are on day two after a good clean but before I tackled removing the sticky pad residue from the number plates.

See less See more
#6 ·
So I've had the car approaching a month now and racked up 1000 miles already on the clock. I genuinely love his car it has so much character and presence. It attracts so much attention, particular from the more mature males who it seems to particularly attract !

This week I did some more changes, firstly the addition of the carbon fibre rear spoiler and also the rear light sequencers so the indications dash in sequence now.

Today it went in to Tint Devil in Kidderminster to get the windows tinted. I'm really pleased with the result, with the lightest tint possible on the side windows and factory dark to the rear window.

#9 ·
Now that's a beast of a motor and the colour really suits it.

Bet it sounds as good as it looks :)
Thanks and to be honest it's too blooming quiet. So I've ordered myself the Ford Performance Borla Active Exhaust with the GT350 rear valance.
Problem is I'm having to wait whilst it's shipped over from the states.

I wanted an active exhaust so I can have the neighbour friendly mode for the early morning starts but then be able to switch to the aggressive sound when I want. The set up also comes with an X pipe to replace the centre silencer to give it more growl !

Can't wait for it to arrive I ordered it as soon as the car was delivered.

In fact I've got lots of parts in transit that I'm waiting for now.

#18 · (Edited)
Another weekend and another mod !

This time I've fitted the LED Rear Sider Markers. Annoyingly these illuminated markers are only fitted in the states for some reason and I think they look great.

There are a few retrofit kits online at circa ÂŁ99.00 to ÂŁ150 from varying different sources. The main difference between UK spec cars and US spec is that the UK do not come with the wiring loom pre installed to these markers.

So after a bit of research I found the LED Markers I wanted online for ÂŁ20, and set about making my own wiring loom.

I'm chuffed to bits with this mod and for a little over ÂŁ25 for all the bits plus one set of scraped knuckles I've got these retrofitted.

I used a series of sticky wire clips to hold the wire in place behind the bumper to make it look a bit more professional / OEM.

So much better than the standard orange markers.

#23 · (Edited)
One final change this weekend, I sacked off the wafer thin OEM car mats and bought some plush mats with the all important rear mats which you can't get from Ford !!

This also gives me the chance to share some interior pics too...

The window tints are quite deceiving they look quite dark in pics but in reality are not that dark.

#29 ·
Always being intrigued by the Mustangs concerned these new ones don't sound the aggressive as you traditionally think a mustang should do, however the exhaust your fitting should remedy that! Love the subtle mods, think the grills on rear panels are ot my cup of tea. However the rest of it is lovely! Hope you enjoy driving it!

#30 · (Edited)
Minor update as the wait is killing me now. The 'stang has been the garage for a week now getting a few jobs done

The main one being a full paint correction and ceramic coating, which is pretty much complete now.

I've also had the car lowered with Eibach sportline springs.

But the most exciting change is the active exhaust Borla sport exhaust with GT350 rear valance which gets fitted tomorrow all being well.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight now !!!

So some teaser pics of the work part way through

Before lowering

After lowering

#31 ·
I got the car back today and wow I'm on cloud 9 with the transformation.

The paint finish is epic after the full paint correction and SiRamik ceramic coating applied to paint, windows, plastics and wheels by Extreme Gleam in Droitwich. I can't rave about them enough superb service.

At the same time the car was lowered all round and my favourite change is the full Ford Performance Borla cat back active exhaust with X pipe and GT350 rear valance. This set up has a remote control to switch from moderately loud to a noise that can only be described as trouser twitching epic.

I'll let the pictures do the talking !

We are getting close to where I want this car to be, it's booked in for the roof to be wrapped in gloss black this week and I have a few subtle mods planned too. Then I'll leave it alone and enjoy the noise...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.