Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
RickN55
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Leicester
Posts: 34
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bonnet Correction

I have a few swirls on my bonnet from where it looks like some one as machined a small area before. I was wondering if I just get the bonnet corrected by a pro as the rest of the car is pretty mint and I can't be with out the car for the amount of time it would take to do the whole car, Would it stand out if just the bonnet was corrected and not the rest of the paint work? Would it be a different colour or more shiny?
RickN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickN55 For This Useful Post:
jcdub (29-08-2017)
Old 28-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
Pars_Andy
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 30
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN55 View Post
I have a few swirls on my bonnet from where it looks like some one as machined a small area before. I was wondering if I just get the bonnet corrected by a pro as the rest of the car is pretty mint and I can't be with out the car for the amount of time it would take to do the whole car, Would it stand out if just the bonnet was corrected and not the rest of the paint work? Would it be a different colour or more shiny?


This should be fine. I'm doing a 3 stage correction on my car, one panel at a time. If I look at the panels I haven't done, I can see swirl marks when the sun hits them whereas I can't on the panels I have done. I wouldn't say there's a hugely noticeable difference other than that though.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Pars_Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
RickN55
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Leicester
Posts: 34
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars_Andy View Post
This should be fine. I'm doing a 3 stage correction on my car, one panel at a time. If I look at the panels I haven't done, I can see swirl marks when the sun hits them whereas I can't on the panels I have done. I wouldn't say there's a hugely noticeable difference other than that though.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Great stuff getting it sorted next week. Been quoted 3 hours to just do the bonnet so least I know the job is getting done properly :-)
RickN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,298
Thanks: 5,536
Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN55 View Post
Great stuff getting it sorted next week. Been quoted 3 hours to just do the bonnet so least I know the job is getting done properly :-)
3 hours to do your bonnet with just slight swirls how big is your bonnet.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (30-08-2017)
Old 29-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
RickN55
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Leicester
Posts: 34
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
3 hours to do your bonnet with just slight swirls how big is your bonnet.
Haha am I being taken on then paying for 3 hours just for the bonnet? I've never been to a pro detailer before so no idea how long this stuff should take.
RickN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,298
Thanks: 5,536
Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN55 View Post
Haha am I being taken on then paying for 3 hours just for the bonnet? I've never been to a pro detailer before so no idea how long this stuff should take.
Am not saying your been taken for a ride, but it does seem a bit long to do a bonnet if it's only got some swirls wouldn't you want to do it yourself or you could use a filler heavy glaze to mask in the defects by hand

Have you any pictures of the bonnet bud.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #7
RickN55
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Leicester
Posts: 34
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Am not saying your been taken for a ride, but it does seem a bit long to do a bonnet if it's only got some swirls wouldn't you want to do it yourself or you could use a filler heavy glaze to mask in the defects by hand

Have you any pictures of the bonnet bud.
Basically just this is what I want sorting. The rest of the bonnet just has your average minimal minor spider webbing under direct light which doesn't bother me..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
RickN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #8
Keir
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Keir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 2,479
Thanks: 265
Thanked 552 Times in 455 Posts
Garage
Just doing the bonnet:

Wash (1min)
clay (5min)
re-wash (1min)
machine polish (let's say 30min)
wash (1min)
wax/seal (say 20min, for curing time and stuff)

~1hour.
Keir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #9
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,298
Thanks: 5,536
Thanked 4,410 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN55 View Post
Basically just this is what I want sorting. The rest of the bonnet just has your average minimal minor spider webbing under direct light which doesn't bother me..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Looks like someone's had a good rubbing session still it shouldn't take that long to do, but if it's rock hard paint then a compound then a finishing polish would be needed what make is it anyway.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
Mirror Finish Details
Distinguished Detailer
 
Mirror Finish Details's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 6,394
Thanks: 1,324
Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,572 Posts
Garage
Three hours is fair enough for say my time. Especially if I had to travel. Quick wash clay one stage compound then final finish polish.
Do this stuff day in day out at dealers $400.00.
Mirror Finish Details is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors