Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 23-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
rsdan1984
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Never fully understood compound marring

Hi all, not posted in a while, lol. I've been a detailing enthusiast for a long time now but have never fully understood compound marring - in particular recognising it. My polishing experience is largely limited to my own cars, family cars and friends cars and for a long time I only had Menzerna polishes in my arsenal (although I did get some 3M samples a while ago and recently got some Scholl). I exclusively use a rotary (so don't expect to see hazing or ticking) and my only compound was the Menzerna Power Gloss one (an old one before it all got recoded) and FCP. I understand the theory behind compound marring due to it's aggressiveness but how do you tell this apart from ordinary swirls? I also understand about buffer trails - am I missing the connection between compound marring and buffer trails being the same thing? Or is it possible to have compound marring without buffer trails? I recall doing a friends VW Golf convertible several years ago which was black and severely swirled and working up the polish scale until I got to FCP and still having defects in the paint - which I assumed must have been compound marring (although I wasn't really 'recognising' it). It was only when I followed the FCP with the 3M finishing polish that I got a pretty much defect free finish (thinking back I probably should have done the intermediate stage, but that's a different conversation!).

Thanks in advance. As my polishing experience is limited I've not had chance to really sus it out. And the odd time I have used the Power Gloss I have found it to finish quite well, which has furthered my confusion!
rsdan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

The marring you get on paint after compounding will be more evident on darker paint you won't see it on light colours, silver, white etc. If you compound using a rotary and wipe down properly with a panel wipe you will be able to see it, it appears as a dullness/hazing in the paint.

Swirls are the spider Web light scratches that radiate out from a central point.

I use a finishing polish with a finishing pad on a DA to remove any hazing/buffer trails etc, just remember to wip down as polish contains oils etc that will mask your work and stop you seeing the paint properly.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
rsdan1984 (25-09-2017)
Old 25-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
rsdan1984

So I wouldn't see any compound induced scratches akin to the DA tick marks (other than buffer trails which are operator induced and not an unwanted side effect of the compound). Sorry if this sounds basic but I've not got much experience with compounding/heavy cutting and not too many products in my arsenal so I've not had the chance to work this out for myself! I've been a hobbyist for 10 years I reckon, but my polishing experience is limited to a bit of compounding with Menzerna and mainly single stage enhancements. Even when I have 2 staged my own car I've never gone as heavy as a compound, usually just medium cut.
Old 25-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

If you have polished properly then you will have removed the swirls and scratches from the paint.

Old 25-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,411 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdan1984 View Post
So I wouldn't see any compound induced scratches akin to the DA tick marks (other than buffer trails which are operator induced and not an unwanted side effect of the compound). Sorry if this sounds basic but I've not got much experience with compounding/heavy cutting and not too many products in my arsenal so I've not had the chance to work this out for myself! I've been a hobbyist for 10 years I reckon, but my polishing experience is limited to a bit of compounding with Menzerna and mainly single stage enhancements. Even when I have 2 staged my own car I've never gone as heavy as a compound, usually just medium cut.
It doesn't matter if your left with compound hazing or buffer trails from a Rotary because it is normal so these will be removed by the refining stage.

What's not normal is as your compounding/polishing you leave tiny scratches which would appear to look like pig tails, these are caused by tiny bits of dirt that have come in contact with the face of your pad, so ensure you clean your pads often
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
rsdan1984 (26-09-2017)
Old 26-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
rsdan1984

I have read about pig tails and weren't sure what these were either, so very informative there. This thread and some other digging I've been doing has given me more of an idea so I feel better prepared for future endeavours.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsdan1984 For This Useful Post:
chongo (26-09-2017)
Old 27-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdan1984 View Post
I have read about pig tails and weren't sure what these were either, so very informative there. This thread and some other digging I've been doing has given me more of an idea so I feel better prepared for future endeavours.
You will tend to see pig tails on cars like Aston that get "hand" sanded in the factory, they use an air sander for speed but can't tell when something gets trapped under the pad so you end up with these.

Old 27-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,411 Times in 2,673 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@PD View Post
You will tend to see pig tails on cars like Aston that get "hand" sanded in the factory, they use an air sander for speed but can't tell when something gets trapped under the pad so you end up with these.

You find that you will see them on a lot of cars that have been machine sanded not just Astons all the way up to Ferraris Lamborghini and so on
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote