Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Wash induced marring?

So I have posted a number of times now asking for help with my black seat ibiza.

I have tried many different methods to remove swirls from my paint and have generally improved the finish.

After the initial correction it looked great but after washing for the first time, I could see very fine marring in the paint and came and asked for help. I had overlooked the importance of IPA wipe so I bought IPA and tried again but had little success in improving the paint further. I won't type up everything I have done as its quite long but essentially I think my paint is soft as I had a go on my drivers side door with Menz 3500 and a white pad. Following 100% IPA wipedown, the paint looked great. I sealed it with autoallure toughseal. I've been keeping my eye out all week and haven't noticed any imperfections in the paint apart from a small area I may have missed right at the bottom of the door.

Heres an image prior to sealing:

And a quick inspection showing no swirls:

Today I have washed the car with clean equipment and a 2 bucket method + grit guard. (Shampoo - AG Body conditioner). It now appears that the same marring has returned to some extent.

This is from today:

Vid from today showing the same door with imperfections:

Just for evidence that my equipment isn't dodgey, here is a pic of my lower body wash mitt and drying towels.

My wash process involves fully soaking the car with a hose, using a 2BM to wash the top half first, then the bottom half. I dry with blotting with a waffle weave and collect any missed areas with a microfibre towel.

I'm almost at the point of giving up on trying to sort it out! I know black cars are notorious but I just seem to go round in circles with this issue! I think its wash related based on the direction and length of the marring (appears to be similar to the direction and length of a swipe I would take with the wash mitt).

Any ideas on how this issue could be solved would be great! Thanks

Last edited by Benfr16; 08-10-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Benfr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benfr16 For This Useful Post:
camerashy (11-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,201 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfr16 View Post
My wash process involves fully soaking the car with a hose, washing the top half first, then the bottom half using a 2BM. I dry with blotting with a waffle weave and collect any missed areas with a microfibre towel.
Quick question, you say you wash the lower half of the car 2BM, do you not wash the whole thing 2BM, if so at what point of the lower half are you using your second bucket?
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Yes sorry for not making that clear. The whole car 2BM. Image of mitt used on lower half of vehicle.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The images are after use of these products today as well. They don't appear to be particularly dirty.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
have to admit they appear to be clean enough, do they go through the washing machine before you use each time?

How dirty was the car and any use of snow foam or pre wash?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
mac1459
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I've never found Seat paint to be soft , My son owning 2 , 1 white Ibiza & 1 grey metallic Leon . Do you ever use a QD after drying.
Last time i wash marred my own car was using to little shampoo.
Does the marring disappear if you wipe with a QD?
mac
mac1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Hi mac I have considered this before and I remember you commented on a post I had made a few months back. I don't really use QD and currently don't have any QD. I tend not to do anything with the paint in between washes. What are you thinking regarding that?

Last edited by Benfr16; 08-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6984 View Post
have to admit they appear to be clean enough, do they go through the washing machine before you use each time?

How dirty was the car and any use of snow foam or pre wash?
The car wasn't too bad. It has done 250 miles max this week and it hasn't really rained too bad while I've been on the road. Just standard thin film of dirt.

Regarding the washing between each car clean, I would be a liar if I said I ALWAYS wash them between. But I had washed them all prior to this wash as I wanted to rule out as many factors if the marring returned. I wash with non bio gel tab and white vinegar in the softener section of the drawer.

I don't use any snow foams or pre washes. My hopes were that an initial correction then a good wash once weekly would be a cost effective way to keep car in good shape but as most, the costs keep creeping up!

In terms of shampoo, I think the AG shampoo suggests two caps and I tend to use roughly 3 - one in bottom of bucket, one on the mitt and one inside the mitt. I tend to do a bit more than a cap for each of these as I just squirt it instead of dosing with the cap.

Last edited by Benfr16; 08-10-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #9
mac1459
PC Perfectionist

Garage
sorry ben we'll forget about the QD as you feel this is happening during the wash , never used AG shampoo ,does your mitt glide over the surface ,sounds like you are using plenty to lubricate , always used DJ born to be mild on my past black car and still use on present car.
Is it just the one door that is showing this marring or all off the car ?
I would off thought the tough coat should help to prevent this happening.
mac
mac1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfr16 View Post
The car wasn't too bad. It has done 250 miles max this week and it hasn't really rained too bad while I've been on the road. Just standard thin film of dirt.

Regarding the washing between each car clean, I would be a liar if I said I ALWAYS wash them between. But I had washed them all prior to this wash as I wanted to rule out as many factors if the marring returned. I wash with non bio gel tan and white vinegar in the softener section of the drawer.

I don't use any snow foams or pre washes. My hopes were that an initial correction then a good wash once weekly would be a cost effective way to keep car in good shape but as most, the costs keep creeping up!

In terms of shampoo, I think the AG shampoo suggests two caps and I tend to use roughly 3 - one in bottom of bucket, one on the mitt and one inside the mitt. I tend to do a bit more than a cap for each of these as I just squirt it instead of dosing with the cap.
Hmm, running low on ideas, as you say the fact you washed all the mitts and cloths before washing eliminates the risk here so it would seem. Your using enough shampoo by sounds of it. on the sides of the car are the panels staying wet keeping any remaining dirt soft by time you get round to it? just thinking using a hose doesn't always remove as much muck as a power washer would.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian6984 For This Useful Post:
Benfr16 (09-10-2017)

Tags
black, marring, paint, soft, swirls