Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
fethead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

How about trying to reduce the marring by foaming via a lance. I have the same problem with BMW paint. Just can't seem to not marr the bloody thing and feel that my technique is good. I've started to foam and pressure wash off to try and sort this as I am a perfectionist.
fethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fethead For This Useful Post:
Benfr16 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,244 Times in 2,551 Posts
Garage
Now looking at your videos and reading what you have done makes me think that you are not removing the defects with the combination you have used, white polishing pad with 3500 you have probably just improved your gloss only plus if you don't have the correct light source then it's hard to know 100% if you have corrected it properly. Your cars paint is usually hard paint so maybe you need to step up your polish and pad to remove them next time.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Yeah I am wondering if this is the case as I'm too short on ideas. There's still dirt present on the panels but as I can remember the panel was still wet.

Regarding if it's the whole car, it is but I have focussed on this area as I planned to correct this door, see if it stays in good condition and then do the whole car if that was the case!

There's always a chance I induced marring when applying the tough seal. I used some standard wax applicator - a cheap eBay type one. But as I said it looks like the kind of swipes I'd take with the wash mitt.

My dads got a power washer that we share with a neighbour so could potentially get a snow lance but as I say, the cost just keeps going up and up!

Another idea would be to not use IPA and then seal as the oil might give a bit more lubrication to the application of toughseal - although I know t would reduce longevity
Benfr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Now looking at your videos and reading what you have done makes me think that you are not removing the defects with the combination you have used, white polishing pad with 3500 you have probably just improved your gloss only plus if you don't have the correct light source then it's hard to know 100% if you have corrected it properly. Your cars paint is usually hard paint so maybe you need to step up your polish and pad to remove them next time.
This could be the case. I have previously used UC and an orange pad more than once.

I do have M101 and a flexipads MF cutting pad so could have a go with that some time.

Do you think that "improving the gloss" would be enough to hide these defects following 100% IPA wipedown?

Additionally, if I am not removing them, surely it would look "as bad" as the rest of the car?

I'm not saying that this is the case. I am just confused!!

Last edited by Benfr16; 08-10-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #15
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 3,745 Posts
Garage
How about, PW rinse, apply TFR, PWR then foam before PWR again then go for the 2BM maybe a long winded approach but I'm confident it will help sort the problem out emmensly. Give that a try and tells us all how you get on.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
Benfr16 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
HEADPHONES

I use a modified 2BM wash after a prewash soak and rinse.
When first introduced to DW and the 2BM wash I was amazed by the grit in the rinse bucket and was immediately a follower of the teachings on the forum.

I now use 2 mitts.
Shampoo bucket mitt only ever goes in the clean shampoo and is held in my left hand.
This gradually applies a constant flow of clean shampoo over an area while the rinse bucket mitt on my right hand does the actual gentle bodywork passes.
After the shampoo runs out on the shampoo mitt, it dips into the shampoo bucket while the rinse/wash mitt goes in the rinse bucket nd I wash the next section.
End result is the amount of grit left in the rinse bucket is more than halved!

My thinking is to wash grit off the paint as gently as you would wash grit outta YOUR EYE.
You'd instinctively wash your eye under running water.
The above method is as close as I can practically get to that.
Give it a go. It's easy and free
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #17
Benfr16
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Just to check I've understood. Are you saying you kind of use one mitt to collect soap from the bucket and then allow the shampoo to run down the paint, wiping with the other hand?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,201 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfr16 View Post
Just to check I've understood. Are you saying you kind of use one mitt to collect soap from the bucket and then allow the shampoo to run down the paint, wiping with the other hand?
if im along the same lines then im thinking the suggestion is a perfectly clean shampoo bucket mitt soaks the panel and a second mitt cleans the panel gently as the soap from the first has kept the panel wet and stop you dragging dry dirt across the paint.

My other alternative would be to get some ONR and dilute in a spray bottle and spray a panel or two your about to work on and allow it to encapsulate some dirt before touching it maybe
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:18 AM   #19
HEADPHONES

Quote:
Yes.
But not just wetting the panel for the other hand to gently wash but providing a constant gentle stream of clean shampoo while washing.
Almost as if you're cleaning the car as the shampoo rains down from above
But maybe before you do even that you can use a pump sprayer to soak the car in prewash like PowerMaxed Jetwash and Wax, power rinse or just hose rinse if no pressure washer and then go with the mitts.
You could even use a sponge in the shampoo bucket as it never actually touches the paint
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HEADPHONES For This Useful Post:
Benfr16 (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #20
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,634 Posts
Garage
Quote:
I don't use any snow foams or pre washes. My hopes were that an initial correction then a good wash once weekly would be a cost effective way to keep car in good shape but as most, the costs keep creeping up!
I think the lack of a pre-wash is a big part of the problem. Just wetting the car with a hose will still leave fine dirt particles on the paint. Good news is that this is not an expensive thing to sort. Get yourself some Bilt Hamber Auto Foam (£17) and a pump sprayer (~£15). Make up a 4% solution of the Auto Foam in the sprayer, apply liberally to the whole car. Leave for five minutes and rinse off thoroughly, ideally with a pressure washer, but a hose will do the job. Then proceed with your 2BM.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, marring, paint, soft, swirls