Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Eco Friendly Detailing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Eco Friendly Detailing Talk About all your Eco Products here - Waterless wash / Steam cleaning etc

Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #161
zahtar
Washmitt Meister

Your last diagram implies that you route part of the water to the tanks. That would be only a small amount judging form the thinner diameter of the "horizontal" pipes. I think you would need to make sure that as much water as possible goes to the tanks, that's why I suggested the closed bottom.

And every now and then you can close the input to the 1st tank, open the black and clear it of leaves grime etc. I imagine that the black comes straight from the rooftop. Closing the black pipe's bottom could be an issue, hydrostatic pressure could increase there a lot. Maybe this could work better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water tanks.jpg (4.8 KB, 337 views)
zahtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #162
M20fes
PC Perfectionist

loving it. what with summer water bans and ever increasing water rates, what could be better then free rain water.
M20fes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #163
FrOd
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahtar View Post
Your last diagram implies that you route part of the water to the tanks. That would be only a small amount judging form the thinner diameter of the "horizontal" pipes. I think you would need to make sure that as much water as possible goes to the tanks, that's why I suggested the closed bottom.

And every now and then you can close the input to the 1st tank, open the black and clear it of leaves grime etc. I imagine that the black comes straight from the rooftop. Closing the black pipe's bottom could be an issue, hydrostatic pressure could increase there a lot. Maybe this could work better
Right, I think i've just about understood what your saying. The (black) downpipe goes directly to the tanks and not to the drain at the bottom. When the tanks are full, I then manually open a valve and let the run off water down the drain?

If so, that defeats the object of fitting a diverter, which fills the tanks anyway and diverts any surplus water back down the downpipe. If that's not what you mean, please correct me.

Its only fair to point out, I also plan to fit another tap to the base of the 1st sedimentation tank, to enable me to clear it of course gunk resting near the bottom, after extended use.

FrOd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #164
Blackmondie
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest View Post
That is incorrect and against the laws of physics.
water will try to level, but ones it reaches a pipe, it will float to the next barrel, or it will have to rain very hard fot it to get higher then the pipe, and ones it stops raining, everything will float throigh the pipe into the next barrel til it levels in there. so the floating bits will go through.

don't forget to put a an extra pipe in the last barrel as an overflow...
Blackmondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #165
jamest
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmondie View Post
water will try to level, but ones it reaches a pipe, it will float to the next barrel, or it will have to rain very hard fot it to get higher then the pipe, and ones it stops raining, everything will float throigh the pipe into the next barrel til it levels in there. so the floating bits will go through.

don't forget to put a an extra pipe in the last barrel as an overflow...
The barrels fill up quickly when it rains. The water level doesn't take long to rise above the connector.

Also, you don't need an overflow on the last barrel as there is generally already an overflow in the gutter downpipe.
jamest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #166
Blackmondie
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
The barrels fill up quickly when it rains. The water level doesn't take long to rise above the connector.

Also, you don't need an overflow on the last barrel as there is generally already an overflow in the gutter downpipe.
but when it stops raining, the water will go down again and you will end up with the dirt in the last barrel again.

I forgot about the overflow in the gutter downpipe. But you will need one when you put the rainpipe directly in the barrel
Blackmondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #167
dabhand
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Found this thread whilst looking for info on waterbutt driven PW's and pumps, here's my set up coming off the garage roof, all fittings came from B&Q, 2 x 220L butts, 1 diverter and 1 joining kit. When the butts are full the water just continues down the drain pipe into the overflow in the garden.

Thinking I may get another if I'm going to use a PW. Agree with other comments though, the water in the RH butt has more sediment and bits floating in the the LH one.

IMGP3516.jpg

IMGP3518.jpg

The white thing in the RH butt is just a blank filling a hole that was used earlier. Just going to daisy chain them up if I expand.
dabhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #168
zahtar
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrOd View Post
Right, I think i've just about understood what your saying. The (black) downpipe goes directly to the tanks and not to the drain at the bottom. When the tanks are full, I then manually open a valve and let the run off water down the drain?

If so, that defeats the object of fitting a diverter, which fills the tanks anyway and diverts any surplus water back down the downpipe. If that's not what you mean, please correct me.

Its only fair to point out, I also plan to fit another tap to the base of the 1st sedimentation tank, to enable me to clear it of course gunk resting near the bottom, after extended use.
This is not what I meant, I had an overflow pipe in mind. But either a diverter or a valve should do the job nicely, yours sounds like a better idea. I still believe that itwould be better connecting the top of each tank to the bottom of the next for the reason I described in post 156.

EDIT: Just to make things absolutely clear, what exactly is a diverter and how does it work? Does it just route the water one specific way, or there is more into it? Is there a possibility to choose between routes according to water pressure or something? thanks in advance

Last edited by zahtar; 16-07-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 16-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #169
jamest
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
This is not what I meant, I had an overflow pipe in mind. But either a diverter or a valve should do the job nicely, yours sounds like a better idea. I still believe that itwould be better connecting the top of each tank to the bottom of the next for the reason I described in post 156.
Believe all you want, it won't make any difference.

Quote:
Is there a possibility to choose between routes according to water pressure or something? thanks in advance
Water is affected by gravity, it will go down to the bottom and rise as more water is added.

The diverter takes water from the downpipe and feeds it in to the water butt. All the diverters I have seen such as the one in post 167 will direct the water in to the butt until the water level in the butt rises to the level of the diverter at which point the water will overflow back down the drainpipe.
jamest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamest For This Useful Post:
HairyMonster (16-07-2013)
Old 16-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #170
zahtar
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Believe all you want, it won't make any difference.
I believe the thread starter posting about his 2nd and 3rd tank being cleaner. Refer to post #1.

Quote:
The diverter takes water from the downpipe and feeds it in to the water butt. All the diverters I have seen such as the one in post 167 will direct the water in to the butt until the water level in the butt rises to the level of the diverter at which point the water will overflow back down the drainpipe.
What you suggest is more like a split/junction/fork without valves. What I understand as a diverter (English is a foreign language to me) was a valve like the one people have on their bath tub to choose where the water is routed/channelled to. If you use the shower head, water rises to the level of the showerhead, usually above the level of the tub filler without flowing from the end you don't want it to. In case the diverter is a more complex/automated plumbing device than I thought and serves other purposes, that's what I don't know and why I asked in my previous post.

Thanks for your answer.

Last edited by zahtar; 16-07-2013 at 12:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zahtar For This Useful Post:
Filtrum (25-01-2016)

Tags
rain, rainwater, recycled, water, water butt