Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 14-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
bonelorry
Washmitt Meister

Bonelorry's Lemon Yellow Daily

Thought I would share my latest purchase with you all, As mentioned in my Golf R thread, I decided that I wanted to have a break from expensive cars and that I was going to sell it. The Golf sold on Saturday morning but I had already managed to find a suitable daily driver.

After looking relentlessly for about a Month on Autotrader, Pistonheads, Ebay, Gumtree and a few owners clubs I managed to find a lovely little Skoda Fabia VRS TDI on the Briskoda Owners Club, It is a 2 owner from new car which has covered just 68K Miles and has been very well looked after by its previous owners and ticked all the right boxes in terms of what I am after.

Sneaky Pic...

Just a teaser shot for now, The car is currently in Winter Mode on its Steelies and is not going to be used over the next Week until the Golf has gone hopefully next Weekend. I will post some proper pictures of the car once it has had its first Detail.

6/3/17...

On early shifts this Week, The Sun was shining and I had a decent finish time this afternoon so decided to make a start on the Fabia.

When I first buy a car and carry out its first Wash/Detail in my ownership I like to spend additional time on area's that you do not always see such as all the Door Shuts, Wheel Arches and Engine bay. As well as doing a Basic wash and prepping the Paint for Polishing/Waxing.

Made some decent progress today and did what I call a basic enhancement Detail, I will be giving the Fabia a Machine Polish at some point soon but for now...

: Thorough Rinse, All Door Shuts, Boot Shut, Fuel Filler Cap and Bonnet Shuts. Using APC to High Concentrate and Detailing Brush
: Full Exterior Wash, 2 Bucket Method, Megs Shampoo & Lambswool Mitt
: Wheels cleaned using Bilberry
: Trolley Jack used, Jacked up a corner at a time and All x Four Wheel Arches Deep Cleaned
: Underneath of Sills Scrubbed using soft bristle brush and APC to High Concentrate
: Paint Clayed
: Paint De-Tarred
: Towel Dried
: Hand Polished using Autoglym SRP, Removed with Microfibre
: 1 x Layer of Collinites no:845 Wax Applied using Soft Applicator, Removed with Microfibre
: Glass Cleaned inside and out using Autoglym Fast Glass
: Wheel Arches dressed using Aerospace 303

: Engine bay de-greased, Turrets cleaned, Engine Cover removed and cleaned, Engine bay dressed using Aerospace 303

Couple of pics from todays efforts...

Not much came off the paint when I clayed it however I always use a separate piece on the lower half of the car below the door mouldings and this is what came off...

The Rear doors had some soft plastic adhesive door edge protectors fitted which just had to be removed, This is what I was left with...

All left over Glue residue taken car of using Autoglym Tar Remover, Then the areas where Hand Polished. You would never even know they where ever fitted now...

Wheel Arches deep cleaned and dressed...

Engine Bay post Detail...

Mint seats, Been covered for the past 8 Years...

bonelorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
bonelorry
Washmitt Meister

Cont...

End Result, It does need a Machine Polish and some minor Paint Correction to really get it looking its best but I am happy with how the car is now looking after a simple Hand Polish/Wax application. For a Solid Colour it has quite a bit of depth...

Lastly, Here are the 16" VRS Alloys which are currently finished in White with Carbon effect Centre Caps, Although they are in good condition sadly I am not a big fan of White Alloys and want to keep with the OEM theme so I am dropping them off tomorrow afternoon for Refurbishing. They will be getting Powdercoated Hi-Power Metallic Silver, I am still undecided on whether or not to order a set of new OEM Centre Caps too...

Old 14-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
bonelorry
Washmitt Meister

7/3/16...

Well I dropped the Alloys off this afternoon for refurbishing, I also ordered a set of Black 17mm Wheel Nut Covers the same type as what I have on the Golf R and a set of 4 brand new Genuine Centre Caps. Looking like the back end of next Week when the Alloys will be finished, I went for an OEM Silver finish.

Nothing else too exciting but I had another couple of hours on the car this afternoon, Did a few small jobs such as remove all the Window Stickers and old Tax Disc Holder. There was an old Service sticker on the Drivers Door Shut/B Pillar which had been peeled off and left behind was the old glue residue so i removed that and Polished all the Door Sills.

The Fabia Badge on the Tailgate had seen better days and there was a build up of grime surrounding the letters which looked a mess and would be impossible to remove with the badge in place, Decided to remove the badge and the left over glue and sponge was removed using a Caramel Wheel and then I using the D/A with Megs 105 and an Orange Hex pad to finally clean the whole area.

I might actually leave it De-Badged, Quite like the look with just the VRS badge.

Old 14-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
bonelorry
Washmitt Meister

13/3/17...

Had a set of fresh number plates made up and removed the old Black Plastic surround off the back.

Off with the old tired looking plates and Rear Surround...

New Front...

New Rear, As mentioned I have also removed the old Plastic Surround to further tidy the look of the rear end up...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:
66Rob (18-03-2017), alfa.rbt (18-03-2017), Chris Donaldson (15-03-2017), daydotz (15-03-2017), Marklocke (14-03-2017), Soul boy 68 (18-03-2017), Summit Detailing (18-03-2017), Zebra (26-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Wrigit
Washmitt Meister

Watching with interest as my other half has a nice tidy example!
Wrigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
rojer386
Orbital Oracle

I bought one of these in the same colour about 8 years ago. It was a great car for my 500 mile weekly commute. Comfortable and just enough power to overtake when needed.

I also removed the Fabia badge.

I had issues with the rear doors skins letting water into the car. It was an easy fix but keep an eye on the carpets in the back for any dampness.

Last edited by rojer386; 14-03-2017 at 07:29 PM.
rojer386 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rojer386 For This Useful Post:
bonelorry (14-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
bonelorry
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojer386 View Post
I bought one of these in the same colour about 8 years ago. It was a great car for my 500 mile weekly commute. Comfortable and just enough power to overtake when needed.

I also removed the Fabia badge.

I had issues with the rear doors skins letting water into the car. It was an easy fix but keep an eye on the carpets in the back for any dampness.
Thanks for that!

This is actually my 3rd Fabia VRS so I am fully aware of the common Door Seal issue, I did the "Fix" on both my previous cars and thankfully the Previous owner has done all 4 Door Seals on this one.

I actually checked the carpets when i viewed the car and the Door Card bottoms and all good.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:
rojer386 (14-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Marklocke
Sponge Jockey

Where did you get your plates from?
They make a big difference
Marklocke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marklocke For This Useful Post:
bonelorry (14-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
bonelorry
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklocke View Post
Where did you get your plates from?
They make a big difference
Jepsons in Sheffield
The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:
Marklocke (14-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
ibiza55
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,228 Times in 1,196 Posts
Garage
Lovely jubbly, looks a nice turnaround, nice find matey.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
bonelorry (15-03-2017)