Detailing World Forum banner

My soon-to-be new garage.

115K views 189 replies 77 participants last post by  Storry 
#1 · (Edited)
After a looong year and a half of trying to sell this house and find another in mid or south Wales, I have finally sold (only in the last fortnight) and bought another house and I move in about 5-6 weeks! (bit scary that, given how much stuff I've yet to pack).

As those who know me well, will not be surprised that the huge garage building (which you can see in the background here and looks like another house) swung this for me lol!

So we'll get the less important stuff out of the way first I guess, so this is the house (4 bed, 2 bath, Edwardian, (built in 1901) with a large extension on the rear done about 15 years ago, pretty much doubling the size of the property): Fully modernised inside, but retaining a few subtle original features like the coving and ceiling roses, some welsh dragon stained glass on the front door, that sort of thing. Large driveway (about 90ft) and double width.

But enough about that, onto the important stuff.............the garage building! :D

The building at the rear was built at the same time as the house extension - cavity insulated construction with water supply and provisions in place for a gas supply too (to which I'll be having a basic central heating system fitted at some point). It measures 28ft long by 18ft wide and has a ground floor ceiling height of about 11ft. giving a cubic area of well over 5,000 cubic feet! All the windows are double-glazed, there's a toilet/washroom on the ground floor, which I'll likely also fit a shower if there's room).

In all the photos, you'll have to imagine it with all the current owner's stuff gone (he's a builder and has a lot of 'stuff' to clear out before I get there).

In the plan shot you can see it's almost as big as the house lol!

Last week I went down to arrange a few things with the current owner and thought I'd snap a few shots of what will become my 'dream garage':

Left (north facing) side on which I will be building a 24ft x 14ft car port / washbay (image mock up of that at the end of the post):

The aforementioned toilet/washroom in the right rear corner:

The whole ground floor looking from the door inwards. This and the next image were stitched together from 2 photos, so please excuse the awkard angles).
2-tier staircase in the left rear. That timber storage racking on the right will be gone before I move in). 6 lights on the ceiling and one on each wall too - will be good for the detailing he-he!

Again, you'll have to imagine it with all that stuff cleared out.

The main door side (electric roller shutter):

Behind the main building is a large shed which I will putting power and lights in to use as my workshop. This building is 16ft x 8ft (so over 3 times the size of my current shed/workshop!):

And inside there is height that I can board out an upper floor on those cross timbers to create a mezzanine storage area and still be able to walk underneath. I'll be spraying the whole inside in white with my Wagner sprayer:

Now, back in the main building upstairs is where all the work needs doing, but it's all stuff I can do myself bar the plaster skim. It measures the full 28ft long by 10 ft wide, which I will be dividing into 2 rooms with a partition wall and door just on this side of that velux window. This will create an office area as you reach the top of the stairs of about 10ft x 8ft, and a leisure/games/living area of 20ft x 10ft beyond that. All the electrics and lights are in, I just need to insulate and plasterboard it then decorate. Again, you'll have to imagine it empty.

Here some rough (although to scale) plans of both floors (Found a BMW drawing, but couldn't source an XR2, so I had to go with something the same size):

This is a quick photoshop of how it will look when I've built the carport / washbay (minus that car of course :hehe:):

First thing to do in probably the first week there will be the flooring (black 500mm square interlocking tiles at 12mm thick), new garage cabinets, installation of all my existing garage kit from this house, etc. I don't think much will happen now until I'm in there at the beginning of May though, but I'll update as and when anything happens and I move in and begin work.

Cheers for looking
Viper :)

See less See more
#6 ·
Cheers bud :) Can't wait to get in and cracking on it! Not that there's a lot to do on the ground floor, other than the flooring and maybe a fresh coat of paint on the stairs. I'll only be doing the upper floor work: insulation and plasterboarding bit-by-bit as I can afford the materials. No rush though and I'll enjoy the process.

#11 ·
Thanks all for the nice comments - I'm glad you all like it :)

After much shopping around, I'm going to go with these unless I get a shout for something else better at the same sort of price:

https://duramat.co.uk/product/garage-flooring-pack-7x5/

That kit is for 7m x 5m and this new garage is 8.5m x 5.5m, but of course I have to take off the area of that toilet / washroom and the staircase in both rear corners, so with a couple of dozen extras added onto that pack I should have about enough I reckon. Some upvc skirting all round as well to hide the few mm expansion gap around the edges.

If anyone knows of anything else better that will cover this area for less than £600 I'm all ears, but I don't want to paint it.

#14 ·
I am aware I've been very fortunate in finding this property with such a building. I've been looking for 18 months, pretty much daily for a suitable property with even a half decent garage for my budget and all bar literally a couple of places which I've lost to another buyer (which were nothing like this one), I've come up with zip until I saw this.

That said, and without wanting to get the old 'woe is me' violin out, I've had a pretty horrific 5 or 6 years personally with family bereavements and other personal family issues (some of which are still going on), that I do think I was owed just a little good luck, and I think this new house, garage and workshop was it. I'm very much looking at this as a whole new chapter in my life and not simply a house move.

:)

#34 ·
I am aware I've been very fortunate in finding this property with such a building. I've been looking for 18 months, pretty much daily for a suitable property with even a half decent garage for my budget and all bar literally a couple of places which I've lost to another buyer (which were nothing like this one), I've come up with zip until I saw this.

That said, and without wanting to get the old 'woe is me' violin out, I've had a pretty horrific 5 or 6 years personally with family bereavements and other personal family issues (some of which are still going on), that I do think I was owed just a little good luck, and I think this new house, garage and workshop was it. I'm very much looking at this as a whole new chapter in my life and not simply a house move.

:)
That's a great looking garage and has a lot of potential. It's just a nice size to heat as well in the winter months. The flooring is a must as polishing etc causes us to be on our knees a lot. Not good for the joints. [emoji51]. Life can be cruel and everyone needs a wee lift now and again. I hope your luck changes buddy and you get to spend many happy days and nights in the new mancave. Look forward to seeing the progress. Wouldn't worry too much about negative comments theres ass***** everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Dirt and leaves? Oh no no no, not in my gaff! :lol: Insects maybe........I'll just get a wee pet spider or two for that ;)

Seriously, though, I think what was steering me towards the tiles was the 12mm thickness and the 3000kg per tile resistance for jacking up on for eg.

Still, it's another option to consider I'd not thought of, so thanks again for the shout on that :thumb:

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks to whoever it was who voted the thread 'terrible' - cheers for that, you sad little twonk! I don't suppose you want to make yourself known to me and the reason why you felt you needed to do that, or would you rather hide behind your keyboard?

Looking back through at least the last 10 pages of threads in this section, no other thread has such a vote. Regardless of what's gone off in the past 5 years or so, for anyone who's joined the site since then and doesn't really know me from the next member, I could write a full page on who I was and what I've done for this site when I was head admin. I won't because those who've been here a long time know. I don't think I deserved that, but if you get off on stuff like this, and you probably trawl through YouTube hitting the dislike button as well, I expect? I'd really hate to go through life with so much negativity as you seem to. Best of luck with that!

To everyone else, thanks for the nice comments :)

#28 ·
#29 ·
Thanks Martin :) Yeah, I know you're right, it's just there are clearly some people here who hold grudges against me leaving the site to start my own, and will take any opportunity to have a 'anonymous' pop at me for it, despite knowing nothing whatsoever about the reasons for it.

Anyway, onto the topic in hand, and my word yes, that does look great! [off to check out your link].

:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.