Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 27-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
roryb1985
Sponge Jockey

Ceramic coating question

Good morning all. Don’t really know much about ceramic coating but if I apply this will this stop the paint work getting swirls. Only asking as got a black car and is a real mission to keep the black nice
roryb1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,062 Posts
Garage
Coatings can give a measure of swirl resistance, but they are not invulnerable and can still be marked by the same things that can harm uncoated clearcoat.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,262 Times in 4,846 Posts
Garage
In short, no. It will "help" if you integrate it into a better wash routine and perhaps change the products you use

If I was you I would invest money into a water filter and pet dryer. Removing the requirement for drying the car will help massively to minimising swirls
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
TOGWT
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Location: Split between Hampstead, London and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
A wax, sealant or coating can only reflect what is underneath it, so a clean, level well-prepared surface is the most important consideration (85% of a surfaces reflectivity is its preparation) along with applied product clarity. If you apply a product over a surface that is dirty or one that has surface imperfections a sealant or a paint protection coating will not disguise it, only highlight them.
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
roryb1985
Sponge Jockey

Ok thanks for the reply’s. So what is the benefit of this coating and as for the swirls it does pee me off as I’m so careful when washing it. Maybe it’s the way I dry the car but I use QD when doing this. Sorry I am still new to detailing
roryb1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
shelton
Sponge Jockey

Ceramic coatings are harder than clearcoat, so yes they do prevent some scratches. So that means scratching should be reduced. However, as noted, they are not impervious. It is still important to treat them with care. That said, they are generally good a repelling dirt, so washing becomes easier.

They are very durable (if you get a decent one applied by a professional) but that can also be a drawback for some people, because for one, two, three, or more years you can't fix any scratches or water-spots that do appear without destroying the coating itself. With a conventional wax or sealant you can just polish them out and re-apply.

Ceramics can't really be patched up because they are giant covalent structures, formed and 'set' on application. Patching them up is like gluing a broken window back together. Possible, but not easy... and you wouldn't do it on purpose just for a light correction.

So there you have your conundrum. If swirls make you miserable, ceramic coatings are like a really long sword that scares a lot of bad guys away, but then just becomes a hindrance when someone slips past your guard or you need to patch yourself up. If you don't mind taking a few hits and soldiering on, they can be useful, but if you want to regularly tend to the inevitable injuries, they just get in the way.
shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shelton For This Useful Post:
steelghost (28-12-2017)