Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 06-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
NickSmith
Sponge Jockey

(Oh dear) Cuprinol overspray :)

I think the first 2 words of the title say it all

A friend is in a pickle - he sprayed his garden fence with one of those new Cuprinol sprayers - all well and good until he saw what had happened to his car; what he describes as tiny mist-spots of Cuprinol which had been caught on the wind and blown onto one side of his silver Mk IV Golf. This must've been weeks ago, at least

So, I volunteered to have a go at it, but what would I need? I don't fancy an abrasive polish on someone else's car, and I have Klasse AIO to go on afterwards, but to lift the spots of fence-paint? One thing which I do have, but would be cautious in using, is Muc-Off - too harsh? Or could I spray it on, good rub, wash straight off? It's fairly feisty stuff!
NickSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 16,852 Times in 6,248 Posts
Garage
Try claying a small area first .
Old 07-11-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
182_Blue
ADMIN

Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,872 Posts
think i would prefer to use an abrasive polish over muc off on my paint, im not sure how strong muc off is but if it came to that i think i would use AG engine clean and wash it of straight away, im not sure what cuprinol is made up of ?? i guess its quite water resisitant, has he tried to wash it off, if there small spots give clay a try too, either way good luck
182_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
JJ_
DW Sponsor

Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,191 Posts
Garage
Try clay first.

As long as its PC or Hand Applied you have no worries, we have all made mistakes I actually recently burnt through a part of my spoiler with a new polish I bought as it was too harsh a combination with the pad.

Try some ssr2.5 on a cutting pad with the PC
Old 07-11-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
pugoman
Orbital Oracle

Definately give claying a try first. Then give AIO a try. Move onto something abrasive as a last resort. Maybe a tar remover might help? Really depends on what is in Cuprinol as to what will get it off. Maybe a phone call to Cuprinol would be an idea - I'm sure your friend isn't the only person this has happened to.
pugoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
Rich
Kosovan Detailer

Send a message via MSN to Rich
First up wipe with some AG Tar and Adhesive remover just in case.

Then Try clay, AIO and lastly and abbrassive polish.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
AndyC
Founder Member

I'd go with Rich's solution initially but do ring Cuprinol first - they'll tell you what it's based on and how to remove. Check the bottle for brush cleaning instructions. If it's oil or spirit based, it'll recommend spirits to wash brushes, if water based then it'll be water/detergent.

If it's dried on, it'll be a pig to shift IMO but use a fairly abrasive clay first - any marring can be polished out afterwards
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
NickSmith
Sponge Jockey

I've just ordered an Opti-Clay from MotorGeek, but have some Poorboy's Bug Squash - not as harsh as Muc-Off (which I have seen strip the coloured coating from anodised aluminium!) - any good?

I would imagine that Cuprinol is water-based, but it's just an imagining. I'll just take me box of wares down and see what does what.

Ah - I knew there was a point to this post - what lubrication do I use with the clay? Or just rub it on the car like an eraser? *embarassed!!*

However I get it off, it IS going to come off - this chap built me a patio last year, and wouldn't take more than a case of wine for doing it, so I'm determined to get it sorted for him, and slap a coat of Klasse on top!

Thanks for your replies, everybody - you surely are "the people who know"
NickSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 16,852 Times in 6,248 Posts
Garage
You can either get some proper lube like megs quik detailer etc or you can make up your own with a strong shampoo / water mix put it in one of those spray bottles and off you go